Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are planning a holiday on Anglesey. While she checked out places to stay, I checked out rapid CCS chargers on the island. Good grief... it's dire. There are only 2, both in Holyhead. One is Ecotricity (so forget that!) and the other is also in Holyhead at Morrisons which is currently showing as busted.

There are not too many fast chargers either. There are a few caravan parks and hotels with Tesla Destination chargers but generally the situation is rubbish. Wales could certainly do with more rapid chargers generally but the situation on Anglesey is very poor. 馃槙

Registered
I expect you need "places to stay" that will let you plug in. Or to go on holiday to an area (like the Lakes) that welcomes EVs.

Super Moderator
One is Ecotricity (so forget that!) and the other is also in Holyhead at Morrisons which is currently showing as busted.
I wouldn't rely entirely on Zap-Map.

I live on Anglesey...

All the locations I'm familar with:

Last time I tested EH at Holyhead port both CCS and AC were not working. That was about a year ago. EH have repaired it since then. It might work now.

Morrisons Holyhead worked the last time I was there, but it was before lockdown.

Tesco Holyhead will have 4 7kW posts. Pod-point shows them live. When I was there last month, it looked close to done.

Don't bother trying the AC post at Tre-Ysgawen hotel.

There is a free to use 22kW 3-phase AC Pod Point in Llagefni. It at a private buisness. I spoke with the owner and it is availble to the public. Plug and go - no app needed.

There are several 3.6kW or 7kW Chargemaster posts in Llangefni. About 1/2 of them worked last time I checked. They aren't free and I've since cancled my Polar sub. Haven't tested them in ages.

The new Lidl in Llangefni will have a rapid. It is on the planning application. The external walls and glass are up on the building. I don't know how long until the Rapid will be commisiond.

There are many 7kW posts at the Menai Science park in Gaerwen. New Motion -- Watch out there are barriers on the weekend. You could get trapped if you try to charge out of hours.

There is a 7kW post at the lesure centre in Beaumaris. I've seen it but never used it.

There is or was a single, very hard to find 7kW post at Plas Newydd. Contact Plas Newydd directly if you plan to visit. (Booking required)

There is a fantastic pop-up Cafe adjacent to the 7kW post at Anglsey Sea Zoo. (Next door at Halen Mon, just walk over) Tide Cafe open Wed-Sun - It is outside.. dress for the weather.

Don't bother with the Tesla Destination charger at Anglesey Arms. They do have a white "any car" charger but it is always ICE'd.

There is a rapid at Morrison's in Bangor, just across the bridge. I've never used it.
The 7kW AC post at Penrhyn Castle worked the last time I was there.

The EH rapid at Bangor Services worked on CCS the last time I was there - about 14 months ago. It is one of the newest DBT/CEV rapids on the EH and has always worked for me.

Super Moderator
One is Ecotricity (so forget that!) and the other is also in Holyhead at Morrisons which is currently showing as busted.
The Morrisons one isn't broken, just unreachable. Last report on Zap-Map was two weeks ago. When are you planning to visit? I could drive up and do a check-test. Holyhead is 20 miles each way but I'll go if you need a first hand report.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7

I live on Anglesey...

Wow! Thanks for posting all that info.

Yes, I do use Zap Map but if many of the ones you mention are not shown on apps like Zap Map how on earth are people supposed to find them? They're doing themselves a disservice! :D

We are planning to visit next year. Thanks for the offer of checking whether the Morrisons charger is working but I'll do more checking nearer the time. :)

Registered
There is or was a single, very hard to find 7kW post at Plas Newydd. Contact Plas Newydd directly if you plan to visit. (Booking required)
Last I heard the 7kW post at Plas Newydd had been taken out of service because increased loading in the kitchen (from where the supply was taken) meant there was insufficient spare capacity on the supply to the kitchen.

Registered

I live on Anglesey...

Don't bother with the Tesla Destination charger at Anglesey Arms. They do have a white "any car" charger but it is always ICE'd.
Hi Andrew*Debbie - I've rented a Tesla to try the idea of electric and will be heading to Anglesey tomorrow (Amlwch) which will require a bit of a en-route planning - is the Anglesey Arms a non starter altogether or just the "any car" charger ?

evezy referral code d6540
Anglesey is 25 miles across and has a 125 mile coastline. Why are people with long range vehicles like e-Niros and Teslas worried about visiting. Surely they鈥檒l have enough range to visit the Island if they fill up at the last convenient rapid on the mainland? Last time I visited North Wales was with a 41kWh Zoe and didn鈥檛 have any issues.

Registered
Anglesey is 25 miles across and has a 125 mile coastline. Why are people with long range vehicles like e-Niros and Teslas worried about visiting. Surely they鈥檒l have enough range to visit the Island if they fill up at the last convenient rapid on the mainland? Last time I visited North Wales was with a 41kWh Zoe and didn鈥檛 have any issues.
The nearest tesla supercharger is 85 miles from where i will be staying in Anglesey - at its max the tesla i have rented is looking like 220 range hence my investigation around the destination chargers so hopefully it will be ok assuming i can get a full charge in en route

Registered
Without charging at the accommodation and many people spending a week visiting different locations on Anglesey, along with no dependable Rapids for Snowden etc, I can see the issue.

is the Anglesey Arms a non starter altogether or just the "any car" charger ?
According to Zap-Map, the charging points were working one month ago. It seems from the comments and what @andrew*debbie said that the issue is ice-ing. You could maybe ring the pub to double check as a lot can happen in a month.

Reactions: wawij1

The nearest tesla supercharger is 85 miles from where i will be staying in Anglesey - at its max the tesla i have rented is looking like 220 range hence my investigation around the destination chargers so hopefully it will be ok assuming i can get a full charge in en route
I take your point. What I meant was as you鈥檒l arrive with 100+ miles and the Island isn鈥檛 that large, a few issues with non working chargers isn鈥檛 as critical as it would be if you arrived in a smaller battery vehicle. I鈥檓 assuming you have a Model S, which will only charge at 18kW on AC, so this will limit how fast you can top up. I did the North Coast 500 in a Model S, and it was a challenge when a couple of chargers let me down.

Use Zap-Map and filter out everything except AC 43kW and 22kW and see what options that gives you on your route.

Registered
I take your point. What I meant was as you鈥檒l arrive with 100+ miles and the Island isn鈥檛 that large, a few issues with non working chargers isn鈥檛 as critical as it would be if you arrived in a smaller battery vehicle. I鈥檓 assuming you have a Model S, which will only charge at 18kW on AC, so this will limit how fast you can top up. I did the North Coast 500 in a Model S, and it was a challenge when a couple of chargers let me down.

Use Zap-Map and filter out everything except AC 43kW and 22kW and see what options that gives you on your route.
thanks E7EV I'll give them a ring and I'm sure all will be ok with a bit of forward planing (y)

Super Moderator
no dependable Rapids for Snowden etc, I can see the issue.
There is a rapid at the Morrisons in Bangor and another in Caernarfon.

The EH rapid at Bangor services has always worked for me. I wouldn't discount it entirely but be sure to have a plan B.

Registered
I stayed in a hotel in the Lake District and was low on charge and they allowed me to use their domestic plug. I took an extension lead and had it trailing out of the hotel's kitchen window overnight. People are pretty accommodating.

Registered
i live on Anglesey, it shouldn鈥檛 be a problem visiting. In Beaumaris there鈥檚 a charger at the leisure centre, which as long as you walk round with your phone held high to get a signal, works. I think there鈥檚 a Tesla destination charger at the Bull. There鈥檚 chargers at ASDA in Bangor. There鈥檚 a charger at Penrith Castle (other side of Bangor) and one at the services on the A55. If you get desperate, you can always come and see us!

Registered
i live on Anglesey, it shouldn鈥檛 be a problem visiting. In Beaumaris there鈥檚 a charger at the leisure centre, which as long as you walk round with your phone held high to get a signal, works. I think there鈥檚 a Tesla destination charger at the Bull. There鈥檚 chargers at ASDA in Bangor. There鈥檚 a charger at Penrith Castle (other side of Bangor) and one at the services on the A55. If you get desperate, you can always come and see us!
thanks Zzb its still new to me and trying the Tesla, then will settle on what car suits me best in range etc... everyone here is very helpful tho (y) ill try a non tesla charger tmrw for the 1st time

Super Moderator

There are a lot more than that

I just posted a detailed list earlier in this thread.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts