Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Our Leaf 40 is two and a half years old with 11500 mils on the clock and has recently developed an annoying click when accelerator pedal is pressed and again when pedal is released. Sounds like a relay or similar opening and shutting and most noticeable when in stop go traffic. Has anybody else experienced the same and is it a potential issue?

·
Registered
718 Posts
That link is missing a bit: this should work...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Our Leaf 40 is two and a half years old with 11500 mils on the clock and has recently developed an annoying click when accelerator pedal is pressed and again when pedal is released. Sounds like a relay or similar opening and shutting and most noticeable when in stop go traffic. Has anybody else experienced the same and is it a potential issue?
Many thanks for all that info, car is booked in tomorrow to Nissan Preston and I will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Wow, CV joints at 12k miles? That would be a manufacturing fault and a half.
It is a manufacturing fault. The wrong type of grease was used in a batch of cars. The clicking can be resolved by increasing the torque on the hub nut but that hides the real problem. The wear would continue and the clicking would return. I would press for a 'not cost to you' full replacement if this is the cause since it is not due to use but a known manufacturing defect. Nissan should have taken this on the chin and done a recall in my view.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nissan Preston have diagnosed a worn drive shaft (drivers side) and have ordered part which will be fitted under warranty. I asked if they would replace both shafts but was told only the known faulty one could be replaced under warranty. Surely the second one is going to fail too? Guess I better listen very carefully and hope it does before the warranty expires in 7 months time. Many thanks to all, I was thinking it was just a noisy relay. I showed the Service Manager some of your posts so that there would be no attempt to "fob me off" and to be fair they diagnosed the problem within 30 minutes.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I discovered this exact issue last summer

Are you driving with ePedal ON? My car does exactly the same when ePedal is ON but when its OFF there are no clicks.

I took the car into the dealers who thought it 'odd'. But as an experiment we went out in his two demonstaors cars to see of they did it too. And yes they both did.

So ePedal ON = "clicks" OFF = no 'clicks'

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
610 Posts
It might be worth reading through this thread from early 2019 - I posted the engineering bulletin reference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had the same problem, just had mine serviced and they took out the drive shaft and re lubed and reseated. All noise gone and drives better than ever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
its a known concern, the dealer should check Nissan internal notifications ... they rotate the driveshaft and if that doesn't fix it then they should replace.
Mine was fixed and seems to be ok.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Technical Bulletin 29 I think.
They pack with Molykote and fit new hub nuts with higher torque. I had my fist one done under warranty. Bought my current one after it was a known issue and mines started doing it now at just over a year old.
Bloomin annoying but not the end of the world.

Reactions: GOSPORT DAVE

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
610 Posts
My 62KWh is booked in next Monday to get the same issue sorted, I have the tell tale click when I press the brake pedal, put it in B mode or flick on the e pedal. The car is is 6 months old and has covered 6.5K miles, The issue is exactly the same as the 40Kwh I had previously, only that was worse that it would make a clicking noise on the accelerator as well, which is why I am trying to get it sorted, now before it gets any worse. After all this time I would have thought NISSAN would have this sorted by now, must be costing them a fortune in warranty costs.

As @ElectricIan said “Bloomin annoying but not the end of the world”

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Strange they still have this issue.

The most recent TSB I found was for ZE0 only, but it covered a lot of other vehicles from 07-17

The only similar ZE1 TSB I found was for loose wheel nuts.

It's completely different with the UK TB. It's, about 3 pages and gives the techs warnings about how to do it properly as there have been cases where they stripped the threads on the shafts.
Remembered its Molykote 30 they use. I do have a print off somewhere.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts