Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are, in effect, two noise generating systems in the GTE. One being the mandatory EXTERNAL e-Sound. A speaker in the front of the car which makes a noise so that pedestrians can hear the car approaching when in electric mode. I describe it as a ‘growl‘ which can barely be heard in the car.

The other is a INTERNAL noise generator which in the Mk7 GTi is known as a Soundaktor, a mechanical device fitted to the bulkhead which makes a very unpleasant pretend engine/exhaust noise that can only be heard by the driver and passengers INSIDE the car. VW claim that the Mk8 GTE doesn’t have a Soundaktor BUT when driving in Sport mode it definitely makes a lot more unpleasant louder noise inside than in Eco or Comfort mode. I conclude one of two things.
1. VW are mistaken in that there is actually is a Soundaktor.
2. The unnecessary and unpleasant sound is coming through the speakers.
Either way I would like to turn it off. Has anyone had this done in the Mk8 GTE. If so, how is it done?

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
What a flipping joke, I’d hate that so much.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have just found this
VW have introduced from 2020 model year ‘Vehicle Diagnostic Protection (which has the manufacturer's associated three-letter-acronym, SFD).’ I assume it means that the Mk8 Golf cannot be accessed with either OBD11 or VCDS to check and change things (like turning off Soundaktor). It can only be done by a dealer.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,885 Posts
Assumption is the mother of all mistakes (or some such). I'd be very surprised if that is legal under EU law.

I'm with you about the fake noise - I'd want to turn it off as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts