Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are, in effect, two noise generating systems in the GTE. One being the mandatory EXTERNAL e-Sound. A speaker in the front of the car which makes a noise so that pedestrians can hear the car approaching when in electric mode. I describe it as a ‘growl‘ which can barely be heard in the car.

The other is a INTERNAL noise generator which in the Mk7 GTi is known as a Soundaktor, a mechanical device fitted to the bulkhead which makes a very unpleasant pretend engine/exhaust noise that can only be heard by the driver and passengers INSIDE the car. VW claim that the Mk8 GTE doesn’t have a Soundaktor BUT when driving in Sport mode it definitely makes a lot more unpleasant louder noise inside than in Eco or Comfort mode. I conclude one of two things.
1. VW are mistaken in that there is actually is a Soundaktor.
2. The unnecessary and unpleasant sound is coming through the speakers.
Either way I would like to turn it off. Has anyone had this done in the Mk8 GTE. If so, how is it done?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have just found this
VW have introduced from 2020 model year ‘Vehicle Diagnostic Protection (which has the manufacturer's associated three-letter-acronym, SFD).’ I assume it means that the Mk8 Golf cannot be accessed with either OBD11 or VCDS to check and change things (like turning off Soundaktor). It can only be done by a dealer.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
Assumption is the mother of all mistakes (or some such). I'd be very surprised if that is legal under EU law.

I'm with you about the fake noise - I'd want to turn it off as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are, in effect, two noise generating systems in the GTE. One being the mandatory EXTERNAL e-Sound. A speaker in the front of the car which makes a noise so that pedestrians can hear the car approaching when in electric mode. I describe it as a ‘growl‘ which can barely be heard in the car.

The other is a INTERNAL noise generator which in the Mk7 GTi is known as a Soundaktor, a mechanical device fitted to the bulkhead which makes a very unpleasant pretend engine/exhaust noise that can only be heard by the driver and passengers INSIDE the car. VW claim that the Mk8 GTE doesn’t have a Soundaktor BUT when driving in Sport mode it definitely makes a lot more unpleasant louder noise inside than in Eco or Comfort mode. I conclude one of two things.
1. VW are mistaken in that there is actually is a Soundaktor.
2. The unnecessary and unpleasant sound is coming through the speakers.
Either way I would like to turn it off. Has anyone had this done in the Mk8 GTE. If so, how is it done?
I just want to revisit this as something occurs to me every time I drive my 2020 GTE Advance and it annoys me.......

Is it possible there are actually 3 sound sources:
1. The mandatory external e-sound that Maturedriver mentions
2. The awful additional engine noise from behind the dash that only happens in GTE mode
3. The internal sound generated when the button is pressed - the button by the gearlever next to the GTE button

I've never heard sound 1. though if it does exist then there is actually 3?

·
Premium Member
ID.4 GTX & M3 LR
10,816 Posts
I just want to revisit this as something occurs to me every time I drive my 2020 GTE Advance and it annoys me.......

Is it possible there are actually 3 sound sources:
1. The mandatory external e-sound that Maturedriver mentions
2. The awful additional engine noise from behind the dash that only happens in GTE mode
3. The internal sound generated when the button is pressed - the button by the gearlever next to the GTE button

I've never heard sound 1. though if it does exist then there is actually 3?
For every VW I’ve had with ‘fake engine noise’, it’s always been via a Soundaktor that is fitted to the bulkhead between the engine and cabin.

On the Polo GTI I had you could get access under the offside scuttle panel and physically unplug a cable there that deactivated it, it didn’t flag any error messages.

On the GTE, mine rattled, but that was down to the unit not being securely fastened to the bulkhead, and after an extra 10mm nut was added it sounded as it should, which some people still don’t like.

Even though the latest VWs have SFD protection, it’s not on every module, so you should still be able to disable it via VCDS.

It should be possible to check if the Mk8 has a physical Soundaktor by lifting the scuttle panel after removing the rubber at the front. You won’t need to completely remove it, just lift it and see if it’s there just below the base of the windscreen.

·
Registered
297 Posts
VW have introduced from 2020 model year ‘Vehicle Diagnostic Protection (which has the manufacturer's associated three-letter-acronym, SFD).’ I assume it means that the Mk8 Golf cannot be accessed with either OBD11 or VCDS to check and change things (like turning off Soundaktor). It can only be done by a dealer.
Might be as well to remember that Golf Mk8 is still modified MQB chassis not MEB to which SFD appertains with its Continental CAS1 three component system. What I can say is that in Passat GTE MY2020 things have been altered to make it more difficult to modify using VCDS/OBD11 in that bonnet must be raised to allow any coding changes to remain after ignition switched off.

Should you want to amend "comfort blinken" however MIB 3 introduces another set of problems with need to carry out full factory reset messing around with We-Connect etc.,as still not sure yet whether "re-syncing user profile" can return original settings.

To set "Soundaktor" to 0% and amend "comfort blinken" for me required a combination of both processes, but presumably only "bonnet open" required for "Soundaktor" changes.

·
Premium Member
8,017 Posts
My Guiletta 1.8 turbo had a noise generator which was a branch off the intake hose close to the inlet manifold.

This supplied a cannister with a diaphgram inside and the other side of which was fed through an opening into the cabin. (the diaphgram prevented air loss from the intake, whilst allowing the noise through)

So you got the engine sound which was really annoying as it was rev related, rather than load related, so I disconnected the pipe to the cabin. I left the end open so the sound of the engine bay was audible at a lower level.

Maybe VW do something similar, in which case just look for the duct through the bulkhead.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have discovered a way around the annoying artificial engine noise. I drive in Individual Mode with things like steering and ACC set in’Sport’ but engine noise set in ‘Comfort’. As a result I’m sure the artificial engine noise is turned off. When I wish to make a quick overtake I flick the gearbox switch into ‘Sport’ and although the artificial engine noise reappears it is tolerable for the short time it takes to complete the overtake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.