Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Similar but totally opposite to the "nice touches* thread, anyone have things which really annoy them about the GTE? (maybe there will be some good solutions to our greviences?)

I'll start with one which really annoys me; Everynow and again (I assume when carnet gets a signal as mobile signal is not the best where I live), the "welcome to car-net" message appears on the discover screen ... it stays forever until I press the OK button - surely it should dissapear out of my way after a short time ?! (Grrrrr !!)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yip
Similar but totally opposite to the "nice touches* thread, anyone have things which really annoy them about the GTE? (maybe there will be some good solutions to our greviences?)

I'll start with one which really annoys me; Everynow and again (I assume when carnet gets a signal as mobile signal is not the best where I live), the "welcome to car-net" message appears on the discover screen ... it stays forever until I press the OK button - surely it should dissapear out of my way after a short time ?! (Grrrrr !!)
Yip that’s a pain alright but not as annoying as the fact that it doesn’t hook up to the phone hotspot on its own . I had a Volvo v40 loan car and once I paired my phone that was it . Every time I got into the car it locked on straight away . In the gte it’s a right faff switching phone off and in and hoping for the best or am I missing something ? Mind you I can forgive it . I put nearly 400 mikes on my wife’s 1.6 tdi golf ( dsg also) over the weekend on a trip to Dublin and while it’s nice enough in its own right and did over 50 mpg including cruising at steady 85/90 and lots of Dublin traffic (which is horrendous) getting into gte tonight . Ah! Sheer bliss sooooh smooth

·
Registered
116 Posts
We’ve talked about it before here but the E-mode and GTE buttons being on the wrong side is the most annoying for me, also the answer / end call button for car play iPhone on the screen is the opposite end too.

Also the fact that you can’t fit an iPhone plus in the cubby hole and close the little door properly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well i was dissapionted with the My Volkswagen app it is just horrible and unacceptable.

And being able to move the gearselector to drive mode while the engine is off is very anoying. Started roling without the engine on for 2 times now.

And yess the antenna thing you put your phone in is way too small. A real cable killer i would say. I am buying a slightly smaller phone next time to battle this.

And the most enoying: not delivering a cable long enough to go around the back to the charging port when they decided to put it in the front. I always reverse into the parking and now have to park in a way that is quite a bit more dangerous in the busy parkinglots(forwards).

·
Registered
124 Posts
I know what you mean about the cubby hole for your mobile, I have a pixel 2 xl and suffer the same issues, but is it really that much of a problem? It's not like you are gonna leave your mobile in there when you get out the car I guess? You'll take it with you. Just a handy place to store it when it's connected to car play or Android auto.

For my annoying thing, the new infotainment system is ridiculously glossy! First world problem I know but you have to clean it daily with a cloth or it just looks a mess. They should have coated it with something to combat this.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,764 Posts
I would vote for the short charging cable as the most enduring annoyance. I have had to change the good habit of a lifetime's parking facing outwards so that I can charge.

If I felt really strongly I would have bought a longer cable by now I suppose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yip

Yip that’s a pain alright but not as annoying as the fact that it doesn’t hook up to the phone hotspot on its own . I had a Volvo v40 loan car and once I paired my phone that was it . Every time I got into the car it locked on straight away . In the gte it’s a right faff switching phone off and in and hoping for the best or am I missing something ? Mind you I can forgive it . I put nearly 400 mikes on my wife’s 1.6 tdi golf ( dsg also) over the weekend on a trip to Dublin and while it’s nice enough in its own right and did over 50 mpg including cruising at steady 85/90 and lots of Dublin traffic (which is horrendous) getting into gte tonight . Ah! Sheer bliss sooooh smooth
I have an iPhone which may have different characteristics to Android devices but I discovered a couple of years ago that by switching off 'Personal Hotspot' on the phone when I got out the car and engaging it again on returning, before switching on the ignition, it connected. I had hoped that things may have improved on the Golf 7.5 but sadly not. I have now got in the habit of checking the status of my phone before switching on the ignition. If Personal Hotspot is on I switch it off and on before starting the car. This works, well 99% of the time!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know what you mean about the cubby hole for your mobile, I have a pixel 2 xl and suffer the same issues, but is it really that much of a problem? It's not like you are gonna leave your mobile in there when you get out the car I guess? You'll take it with you. Just a handy place to store it when it's connected to car play or Android auto.

For my annoying thing, the new infotainment system is ridiculously glossy! First world problem I know but you have to clean it daily with a cloth or it just looks a mess. They should have coated it with something to combat this.
The hole causes my cables to be in a higher stress situation. But that isn't the worst. I once got the lid on it stuck because the cable blocked the release. Fighting for half an hour before forcing it open with risk of damage.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A media pause/play button on the steering wheel.

A GTE button in the steering wheel.

There are other buttons on it I could happily replace - so maybe I’m missing a programmable button in the steering wheel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have an iPhone which may have different characteristics to Android devices but I discovered a couple of years ago that by switching off 'Personal Hotspot' on the phone when I got out the car and engaging it again on returning, before switching on the ignition, it connected. I had hoped that things may have improved on the Golf 7.5 but sadly not. I have now got in the habit of checking the status of my phone before switching on the ignition. If Personal Hotspot is on I switch it off and on before starting the car. This works, well 99% of the time!
I think this has been discussed before and is apparently an Apple issue - I have the same thing with my (Dell) laptop and my iPhone and always works when I switch hotspot on and off on the phone.

For me the most annoying thing is that it takes a good 60 secs for Car Play to work - so I can't just get in and plug my phone in and go. I either turn the ignition on and wait for a bit before connecting the phone or wait until I'm at the first set of red lights.... if I need the nav I now always do that first and then it is usually long enough for car play to work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can't stand it when the car decides to turn it's self off when you open the driver's door. I sometimes open it to check if in a spot etc.

I hate that you can't turn it back on without car being in P or N.

Understand it's a safety feature.

Can't stand how sensitive the sensors are. It'll set off beeping when there's loads of space. As well as occasionally it's gone off without nothing being near by.

Can't stand how crap VW customer service is since I've had the judder issue.

Wish there was more storage under the boot somehow

·
Registered
82 Posts
Having an IPhone 7 Plus the phone issue really annoys me, and closing the cover is always a challenge. More annoyingly I specified wireless charging in anticipation of my new phone, and VW decided not to fit it and still tried to charge me for it!

GTE buttons being on the wrong side is really annoying, I mean really how much money did that actually save.

The last thing is the suspension height. If it was 2cm lower it would give the car a much better stance and probably more in line with the GTI/GTD models.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Agree with the suspension stance but I also love how comfortable it is over bumps etc.

So if it affected that then I'd rather keep the higher stance.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yip

I have an android Moto 5GS and the car locks on to the hotspot regardless of when I switch it on. Strange.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I never thought this would annoy me, but so far it does, and now I'm annoyed with myself for letting it annoy me.
This was a bit of a "pet hate" of mine when I first had the car. But after the car reached about 18 months old the rear height of the car appears to have settled down and at 3 years old is not nearly as high as it first was !.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This was a bit of a "pet hate" of mine when I first had the car. But after the car reached about 18 months old the rear height of the car appears to have settled down and at 3 years old is not nearly as high as it first was !.
This. I had one for 2 years and it also dropped. Also the 7.5 for some reason doesn't seem as high as the 7 to me. Also thought this would be a lot worse on the 17" alloys but it's actually not that bad .possibly because of the tire choice 17" wheels have really grown on me even more since I've had this car.and the extra comfort is nice on these terrible roads! Some speed humps used to feel like I was driving over boulders! Now just a mild bump and I sail over them.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,764 Posts
Bridgestone tyres! - are there any noisier ones?

Some lucky people got different ones I believe.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts