Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happened to me years ago with a 1st gen Leaf. But I wasn't expecting it to happen with a brand new, just 6 months old Kia Soul !

(Note: 12V battery maintenance option is on from the first day)

I drove the car yesterday with no issues. This morning I opened the boot (by 'opening only the boot' method - key in my pocket, only opening the boot door without unlocking the central lock. Then car locks the boot automatically after I close the boot) took the pram out and closed the boot. Then half an hour later i came back and unlocked the car by pressing the button on the passanger door, picked somethings from the car and closed the door. But this time the button didn't lock the car... Tried with the key and it didn't lock as well. Then I tried to turn the car on but nothing is working. So it definitely looks like 12 V battery.

I live just across the Kia shop where I have the PCP from. I asked them if they can help with jump start but the answer is no staff, earliest service appointment is 1 month later! 🤯 Literally no more than 3mins of walking distance but they can't (don't) help. I had to call RAC, which I did. But it's been 3 hours and they are sending text every 30 min to say sorry, covid, exceptionally busy...etc :)

Luckily I'm at home and don't need the car now. But for the occasions that I'm out somewhere and need the car urgently, would a basic lithum battery jump starter, like below, jump start a Kia Soul EV? It says up to 2L, but no information for EV's obviously...

If it would jump start, it would be good to have it in the car just in case.

Product Font Gadget Office supplies Musical instrument accessory

Also I'm getting a BM2 sensor as well. After this incident it looks like a must item :cautious:

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,073 Posts
You don’t want a ‘jump starter’, just a standard 12 volt trickle charger.

However there is a good chance this battery is toast, so might be quicker and cheaper to buy a new battery.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,458 Posts
What appalling service!

This sounds like a warranty claim as there is no way a 12v battery should last such a short time, but as @cah197 says it may be toast. A jump starter will allow you to turn the car on and a battery conditioner (not trickle charger) will lengthen the life of a decent battery, but there must be a significant draw to flatten the battery which needs identifying if it exists.

·
Registered
140 Posts
What appalling service!

This sounds like a warranty claim as there is no way a 12v battery should last such a short time, but as @cah197 says it may be toast. A jump starter will allow you to turn the car on and a battery conditioner (not trickle charger) will lengthen the life of a decent battery, but there must be a significant draw to flatten the battery which needs identifying if it exists.
I had exactly the same 12v battery experience with my Kona and the AA.
Kept getting messages saying they apologise for not calling me but are trying to source assistance. I was initially told they be an hour. After 3hrs in the dark, wet and cold I called 'er indoors' and she managed to find the jump leads and come out to rescue me. I have a battery monitor and can see the battery voltage fell off a Cliffe at 0351am and then in the afternoon after I'd moved the car back from the charge point and put the cable in the boot. I wasn't aware of the first voltage drop until I looked at the histogram because it seems the car recovered it. I've bought the same 'jump starter' as an insurance against getting stuck again. I hope it'll actually supply power to the battery enough to bring the electrics to life without having to be 'cranking' over a petrol or diesel. Some on this forum have said that these things only work when they have to
Product Automotive exterior Bag Luggage and bags Font
Hood Automotive lighting Luggage and bags Bag Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Rectangle Red Material property Gas
supply a big boost such as when cranking an ice engine. The booster comes in a, handy carry case, can charge phones and laptops with its 2 USB outlets has a flashlight and emergency red and blue flashing lamps. It has a cigarette lighter car charger lead as well as mains charger, and phone charger leads. Phew. As if that lot isn't enough there's an emergency seat belt cutter imbedded in the end.
Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
It happened to me years ago with a 1st gen Leaf. But I wasn't expecting it to happen with a brand new, just 6 months old Kia Soul !

(Note: 12V battery maintenance option is on from the first day)

I drove the car yesterday with no issues. This morning I opened the boot (by 'opening only the boot' method - key in my pocket, only opening the boot door without unlocking the central lock. Then car locks the boot automatically after I close the boot) took the pram out and closed the boot. Then half an hour later i came back and unlocked the car by pressing the button on the passanger door, picked somethings from the car and closed the door. But this time the button didn't lock the car... Tried with the key and it didn't lock as well. Then I tried to turn the car on but nothing is working. So it definitely looks like 12 V battery.

I live just across the Kia shop where I have the PCP from. I asked them if they can help with jump start but the answer is no staff, earliest service appointment is 1 month later! 🤯 Literally no more than 3mins of walking distance but they can't (don't) help. I had to call RAC, which I did. But it's been 3 hours and they are sending text every 30 min to say sorry, covid, exceptionally busy...etc :)

Luckily I'm at home and don't need the car now. But for the occasions that I'm out somewhere and need the car urgently, would a basic lithum battery jump starter, like below, jump start a Kia Soul EV? It says up to 2L, but no information for EV's obviously...

If it would jump start, it would be good to have it in the car just in case.

View attachment 150857

Also I'm getting a BM2 sensor as well. After this incident it looks like a must item :cautious:
I think Donald recently suggested just keeping a sealed VRLA battery with some leads in the glovebox. About a 12v 7Ah battery would be a lot cheaper than the lithium thing and probably more reliable, so long as you recharge it every few months.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think Donald recently suggested just keeping a sealed VRLA battery with some leads in the glovebox. About a 12v 7Ah battery would be a lot cheaper than the lithium thing and probably more reliable, so long as you recharge it every few months.
That's a good suggestion from Donald. Not sure how bulky a battery would be tho, and the cables to go with it. That's why I got the jump starter thingy. Its small and light enough, comes in a small handy case which fits nicely under the boot floor and has 'idiot lights' which tell me the state of charge at a glance. Plus of course it doubles as a torch, hazard warning and phone, laptop charger.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
That's a good suggestion from Donald. Not sure how bulky a battery would be tho, and the cables to go with it. That's why I got the jump starter thingy. Its small and light enough, comes in a small handy case which fits nicely under the boot floor and has 'idiot lights' which tell me the state of charge at a glance. Plus of course it doubles as a torch, hazard warning and phone, laptop charger.
The small VRLA. batteries are pretty compact, but a bit heavy. They can very stored in any orientation except upside down. I have a horrible suspicion that the lithium starter packs don't work with EVs simply because they are too smart and are looking for a very large dV/dt which is what you get with a starter motor.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The small VRLA. batteries are pretty compact, but a bit heavy. They can very stored in any orientation except upside down. I have a horrible suspicion that the lithium starter packs don't work with EVs simply because they are too smart and are looking for a very large dV/dt which is what you get with a starter motor.
have a horrible suspicion that the lithium starter packs don't work with EVs simply because they are too smart and are looking for a very large dV/dt which is what you get with a starter motor.
Same thought crossed my mind, or what's left of it. I'm going to test the theory at the weekend, I'll pop a meter on it, and if it doesn't work, Amazon returns beckons

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,073 Posts
have a horrible suspicion that the lithium starter packs don't work with EVs simply because they are too smart and are looking for a very large dV/dt which is what you get with a starter motor.
Same thought crossed my mind, or what's left of it. I'm going to test the theory at the weekend, I'll pop a meter on it, and if it doesn't work, Amazon returns beckons
Was going to say, definitely test that it will revive a dead battery.

With an ICE it just provides the starting impulse until the alternator takes over.

·
Registered
913 Posts
You won't be able to truly test it unless the battery drops off a cliff again. I had a similar issue, and when the boost button was pressed (you don't show the business end in the photos), everything jumped back into life and the car started. Since then the battery was replaced under warranty, and I run a smart charger at least a couple of times a month. No issues, and BM2 is reporting all ok.

I bought a couple of aukey jump starters back in 2017, shame they were discontinued as they are a high build quality. Looking on the online store now there's a lot of trash. When looking at the specs you want the units which have the + and - running through the same connection block. The block (at least mine does) has a small button which energises the 12volt output. Essentially you can still start the car if no battery is present. This is important if the Lead Acid battery has drooped below 8volts. Many of those units for sale won't have this feature, so you could still be stranded! Also be wary of any units that charge themselves by USB and claim to charge fully in an hour or so. My aukey is 20,000mAh and it takes several hours to charge off a 12volt input.

This example looks interesting, but not much in the way of seller feedback. You can see on the promo video there is a button to depress on the output block to activate the unit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think Aukey is one of the brands kicked off Amazon for breaching their review rules.

Are there any other recommendations for other Lithium based boosters?
Trying to avoid that and the Noco's get very mixed reviews

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think Aukey is one of the brands kicked off Amazon for breaching their review rules.

Are there any other recommendations for other Lithium based boosters?
Trying to avoid that and the Noco's get very mixed reviews
I'm using a 'Lifebetter jump starter' from Amazon. See photos at beginning of this thread. It seems OK but have yet to fully test it. (will try it this weekend) I suspect it may only provide power for an ice car when the starter is energised. But we'll see.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
498 Posts
A couple of days ago I had a night time journey coming up so thought I'd check the 12v battery it read 12.3v although registered at 100%. I put it on charge for a few hours and at the end it read 13.2v. Not sure what a healthy 12v battery should be showing but I was wondering why the charger showed 100% when it was obviously able to take some more charge.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,328 Posts
What is going with Korean EVs that suffer flat 12v batteries, even when new?

It's obvious that they are not being adequately charged from the traction battery and Hyundai need to issue a firmware update to sort it.

if there is another reason (faulty bootlid switch?) then the cars should be recalled to fix it.

(a battery too low to start the car doesn't mean it is beyond redemption and can be charged up, though if it's been consistently undercharged, this will have shortened it's life so a new battery should be fitted)

·
Registered
140 Posts
What is going with Korean EVs that suffer flat 12v batteries, even when new?

It's obvious that they are not being adequately charged from the traction battery and Hyundai need to issue a firmware update to sort it.

if there is another reason (faulty bootlid switch?) then the cars should be recalled to fix it.

(a battery too low to start the car doesn't mean it is beyond redemption
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern
and can be charged up, though if it's been consistently undercharged, this will have shortened it's life so a new battery should be fitted)
[/QUOTE
I agree, something is going on but unsure what. The mystery for me was that in the early hours of the 26th Sept and 2nd Oct the battery dropped off while the car was parked up overnight, being successfully charged by the traction battery. The only difference was it was noticeably colder. Either there was a contraction in the boot lid switch which caused the light to come on or theres some other thing happening.
The 'heartbeats' on the 2nd Oct from the first' drop off' which was recovered unknown to me, and the second 'drop off' which the traction battery didn't recover are near identical. See pics

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,328 Posts
Something is draining the battery during those 4hour windows.

In fact it's below 12.2v for 12hours out of 24h which is not good at all.

It also looks as if the battery is not being held at 14.4v for long enough for it to absorb what it needs before being floated at 13v, which is too low. (s/be ~13.6v)

The charging regime needs looking at.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Something is draining the battery during those 4hour windows.

It looks as if the battery is not being held at 14.4v for long enough for it to absorb what it needs before being floated at 13v, which is too low. (s/be ~13.6v)

The charging regime needs looking at.
To paraphrase FGs post you have two problems:-

1/ The battery is never being fully charged, it needs a period at full voltage, until bulk gassing commences
2/ the car is not shutting down when switched off.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,328 Posts
To paraphrase FGs post you have two problems:-

1/ The battery is never being fully charged, it needs a period at full voltage, until bulk gassing commences
2/ the car is not shutting down when switched off.
Yes, the drain that causes the voltage to drop from 12 to 9 in 4hours is quite siubstantial so something major not being shut down. (or the battery is in a bad way, with capacity far less than when new)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm using a 'Lifebetter jump starter' from Amazon. See photos at beginning of this thread. It seems OK but have yet to fully test it. (will try it this weekend) I suspect it may only provide power for an ice car when the starter is energised. But we'll see.
Happy to report that the' lifebetter' charger does work for BEVs it punts out a constant +12v power when the crocodile clips are conected to a meter. That's all it should need to power up a BEV in an emergency stranded type situation.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts