Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
For some reason, I've always rather fancied the idea of having an electric Austin 7 Ruby. My grandfather used to have a Ruby, and I have fond memories of days out in it when I was a small boy (long time ago now, he died in 1959). The baby Austin has a nice simple, and very lightweight structure, and might make for a neat little electric runabout.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,565 Posts
For some reason, I've always rather fancied the idea of having an electric Austin 7 Ruby. My grandfather used to have a Ruby, and I have fond memories of days out in it when I was a small boy (long time ago now, he died in 1959). The baby Austin has a nice simple, and very lightweight structure, and might make for a neat little electric runabout.
Probably suit a low power motor, as the cable operated brakes wouldn’t be up to stopping a full EV conversion.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,565 Posts
Currently working on my classic conversion.

Debated about doing a Fiat 600 or 850 Coupe.

The best ones would be a Ferrari or something similar, as the engine costs are so high in these.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Probably suit a low power motor, as the cable operated brakes wouldn’t be up to stopping a full EV conversion.

True, but regen might compensate for that to some extent. I'm pretty sure there was a hydraulic conversion for the rod operated brakes on the early cars, too. I know there was for the Morris 8, as I helped rebuild one of those many years ago.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts
True, but regen might compensate for that to some extent. I'm pretty sure there was a hydraulic conversion for the rod operated brakes on the early cars, too. I know there was for the Morris 8, as I helped rebuild one of those many years ago.
You have to use a 3 phase AC motor / inverter to convert a car to electric and give it regen.

The most light weight and simple conversion on a vehicle is to use a DC motor but these won’t regen.

There are quite a few videos online of people that have purchased written off zero motorcycles and harvested all of the electrical bits for electric rat rods and alike.

I’m not sure if these are AC or not, could be doable if the vehicle is lightweight.

I’m also led to believe that zero are pretty helpful if you ask nicely and will tell you how you can slave 2 battery packs together to double the range.

Could be a thing?

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
DC motors regen just fine. My electric motorcycle conversion originally used a Lynch motor clone, just a brushed DC motor, and had masses too much regen, had to dial it down as there was too much rear wheel baking. It now has two parallel connected BLDC motors, and similarly has loads of regen that I needed to dial down in the controller. Lots of EVs use DC motors, often variations on BLDC designs, and they all regen OK, too. I converted my small lathe to use a BLDC motor running from a 48 V DC supply, and one of the advantages of doing that was that I could use regen as a brake, to slow the chuck down very quickly when shutting it down. Just had to fit big resistors as the brake dump loads.

FWIW, the chap that used to do a lot of the Zero design work is an old friend from another forum, going back maybe 20 years now.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts
DC motors regen just fine. My electric motorcycle conversion originally used a Lynch motor clone, just a brushed DC motor, and had masses too much regen, had to dial it down as there was too much rear wheel baking. It now has two parallel connected BLDC motors, and similarly has loads of regen that I needed to dial down in the controller. Lots of EVs use DC motors, often variations on BLDC designs, and they all regen OK, too. I converted my small lathe to use a BLDC motor running from a 48 V DC supply, and one of the advantages of doing that was that I could use regen as a brake, to slow the chuck down very quickly when shutting it down. Just had to fit big resistors as the brake dump loads.

FWIW, the chap that used to do a lot of the Zero design work is an old friend from another forum, going back maybe 20 years now.
Every days a school day, I have always been led to believe that you can’t regen with DC.

I’ve just googled it and the controllers that the builders were using were Zilla controllers and they aren’t capable of handling regen.

Shame they look like good pieces of kit!

DC conversions look a lot more accessible than AC ones, which controllers did you use?

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Every days a school day, I have always been led to believe that you can’t regen with DC.

I’ve just googled it and the controllers that the builders were using were Zilla controllers and they aren’t capable of handling regen.

Shame they look like good pieces of kit!

DC conversions look a lot more accessible than AC ones, which controllers did you use?

I've used a mix of controllers. The motorcycle originally used a pretty common Alltrax golf cart controller (these pretty much all use DC motors and controllers) : ALLTRAX – Motor Controllers for the Electric Vehicle Industry . The bike is now running two home made FOC controllers, that are a heck of an improvement. The core of each is the open source VESC project, that can be used to run a wide range of power stages: VESC Project .

Using parts salvaged from an EV that's being broken may well make things easier, as some now have the controller built in the motor drive unit, so all you need is power plus CANBUS connections, plus a CANBUS controller.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Sorry to quote the Daily Mail at you, but this seemed sweet.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Not a "classic" as such, but if I had the money I would convert a smart roadster

In black with the coupe boot on I think they are a lovely looking car, having owned one in the past I frequently got approving comments and questions about it and being mid engine, rear wheel drive, light and quite low down meant it was a hoot to drive and felt really fast without actually being so :p

Really it was only the gearbox that let it down and the engine which was a boosted fortwo engine and so a bit stressed - EV powered it would be a proper little go kart and I would imagine would get quite a good range for not much battery considering how light it was

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I’d love an electric MGB GT. Test drove the original years ago - but I think maybe it was the uncivilised nature of the petrol drivetrain that appealed to me…

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
if you like the sound of an EV MGB a like check out this lot LukaEV – MW Motors.

they even have an open source build on hackaday

1 - 14 of 14 Posts