Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists for over 40 years and found them to be a very worthy and generally uncontroversial organisation. So has their magazine, Roadsmart, been with much technical and thoughtful content as well as an interesting, if dull, correspondence column. Until the last issue!!!!

That published a letter by a Mr Raymond Lewis headed Electric Car Crimes and they quoted, as a bold headline, an excerpt "An electric car will always have a charger cable in its boot - a target for thieves who can force your lock". Presumably using the same source as the Two "Osprey Chargers Vandalised" thread elsewhere in the forum, he reaches some extraordinary conclusions.

I quote:-
" Leaving your car on charge at a motorway service station while you have a cup of coffee is no longer an option, neither is charging it on your driveway overnight" concluding that "What amazes me is that the government did not realise this would happen. This could be the death knell of electric cars unless a way can be found to combat it."

For the first time in my life I wrote to the editor, using that well known alias Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells (but giving my real name too) deploring his Daily Mail editorial standards. My main points were that:-
  • Mr Lewis clearly has not used an electric car as he would know about the cable being locked in place during charging and wired into the charge point on the drive or charger at the services. Not to mention being live.
  • Anyone breaking into a car is probably more interested in finding a laptop than a granny lead.
  • While such crimes are on the rise, presumably the theft of catalytic converters is on the decrease as the number of ICEs reduces.
  • The government cannot stop any crime entirely.
Obviously the chunky dead charging cables on Rapid Chargers are easy pickings. Akin to the railway signal cables that cause so many "signal problem" delays. Also there are idiots who will steal live high voltage cables by shorting them to the ground first. Needless to say some have been killed doing that.

Clearly the death knell of railways and public electricity supplies is also imminent!!

I received an acknowledgement of receipt of my email but I'll bet they don't publish it. It's not that sort of correspondence column - no arguments.

End of rant.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro, 2021, 4+, Yacht Blue
8,360 Posts
The press generally are anti-EV and have been right from the start. In the early days I would do interviews but not now. Every time I did an interview, regardless of how it went or what the interviewer said before or after the actual interview, the final piece would always be negative. Having something to criticize or to disagree with sells papers or keeps listeners interested... agreement never does even if it is the truth.

I realise that the IoM magazine is hardly the Daily Mail but nevertheless, I expect similar principles apply IMO.

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
Scrap copper value in a normal AC charging cable is around £5 at most. They are having a laugh if they think that having one in the boot of the car is going to make it more likely to attract the attention of thieves than a catalytic converter on an ICE car that has a scrap value of around £150 to £500.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,106 Posts
Is it because electric cars generally come with enough safety tech that most people do not need IAM courses unless it is the insurance? Also electric cars such as Tesla are expensive to repair and fix and often the owners would demand an equivalent car as a replacement making the car insurance business impossible for some makes.

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
The mythical AC charge cable theft scenario seems to crop up in the media regularly, yet I've not heard of a single case where this has actually happened. There are a lot of EV owners here, and on a few other forums, so if it was a real issue, why don't we see lots of reports of it happening here?

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it because electric cars generally come with enough safety tech that most people do not need IAM courses unless it is the insurance? Also electric cars such as Tesla are expensive to repair and fix and often the owners would demand an equivalent car as a replacement making the car insurance business impossible for some makes.
All new cars come with all the safety tech, not just EVs. The insurance companies just price in all the costs when fixing your premium. It's no skin off their nose.

The IAM is definitely not anti EV. There have been many well informed articles in the magazine. I'm pretty sure that the editor just had a Daily Mail moment when he saw that letter.

Absolutely nothing technical can substitute for a driver who is properly trained and aware. Try an IAM assesment yourself and see.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It matters if you want to sell the cable down the pub as a going concern.
Not necessarily.

If you ever find yourself in the position of having work done on your place and need a skip, try this.

Place some scrap cable, mains, lighting, anything really and put it in plain site on the skip. It doesn’t have to be a lot. It will almost certainly vaporise when you’re not looking!

Unfortunately, there are some people who will nick anything for a few quid.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The mythical AC charge cable theft scenario seems to crop up in the media regularly, yet I've not heard of a single case where this has actually happened. There are a lot of EV owners here, and on a few other forums, so if it was a real issue, why don't we see lots of reports of it happening here?
I'm sure there'd be a connected spate of sheds being burgled to get the lawnmower extension cable!

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Take a look at the thread I quoted.
"Two Osprey Chargers Vandalized"
Photo and a list of locations.

Not a single case - multiple cases.

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
Take a look at the thread I quoted.
"Two Osprey Chargers Vandalized"
Photo and a list of locations.

Not a single case - multiple cases.
Since when has a DC rapid been AC then?

I very clearly wrote "The mythical AC charge cable theft scenario seems to crop up in the media regularly".

There's a big difference, in that an AC cable might be worth around £4 to £5 at most for scrap, so nothing like as much as a DC rapid cable. I'll add that the original IAM story refers specifically to AC cables being carried around in the boot of EVs, making them a greater target for theft, hence my very clear and specific reply referring to AC cables.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since when has a DC rapid been AC then?

I very clearly wrote "The mythical AC charge cable theft scenario seems to crop up in the media regularly".

There's a big difference, in that an AC cable might be worth around £4 to £5 at most for scrap, so nothing like as much as a DC rapid cable. I'll add that the original IAM story refers specifically to AC cables being carried around in the boot of EVs, making them a greater target for theft, hence my very clear and specific reply referring to AC cables.
And so you did! My apologies I missed that subtlety in your post.

I would think that you're exactly right. To be honest I had not heard of thefts of DC cables either until that recent thread.

Unfortunately West Yorkshire features once again. I wonder if being City of Culture will bring down the Bradford crime rate. (And my insurance premiums).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts