Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

First a short intro (skip if you're looking for info on the wheels):

My name is Otto, 26 y/o and from the Netherlands.
I've been lurking around this forum for some time now and thought it's a pretty good time now to make a topic!
As of december last year, i took ownership of a 2015 Golf GTE and i'm pretty happy with it.

I wanted this car, because it could do 45 km (on paper) and the trip to my work is 38-40 km (depending on the route and that choice is depending on traffic).
I work in morning, evening and nightshifts, so the route to work can vary depending on time and traffic.
When i made my first trip, i found out that 45 km on paper was definitely NOT 45 km in real life and there was a pretty big difference.
When driving light-footed and keeping the auxiliaries off, i managed a maximum of 35 km and it needs at least 3 km of Battery Hold mode (fuel only).
I really didn't like this, because short trips are bad for an engine and driving longer than that would pretty much negate the fuel saving i'm trying to accomplish.
I want to save fuel, but i also don't want to wear the engine prematurely, so once every couple of days i let the oil heat up pretty good to get the condensation out.

Now there are some points of interest here:
  • My trip to work is 38-40 km: 29 km of highway & 9-11 km of city driving.
  • It's pretty much winter here (4-8 ºC), so i use pre-heating and no heater or AC while driving (sometimes the heated seats).
  • I have driven approximately 2000 km every month so far.
  • A tank of fuel lasts about 1500 km until the light comes on (and constantly charging where i had the chance).
  • The GTE has a small fuel tank, the light comes on when around 36 liters of fuel is used, a full tank cost me €60 to €63,-
  • A full charge at work is free & a full charge at the public charging pod at home is about €2 to €2,50
  • My car is from 2015 and has 55.000 km on the odometer.
My findings proved that i used a bit more than 1 tank of fuel (€75,- in fuel) and about €60,- in electricity every month.
Total fuel cost of €135 a month.

I wanted to see if i could maximize my range, meaning no more battery hold and see if i could do the whole trip on EV only.
I've read the very interesting thread of Doccb1979 about changing to more efficient wheels and it immediately had my attention.
Talking about the Astana wheels and therefore ditching my better looking Serron wheels.
I found the wheels online for €145 + €50 shipped pretty much brand new and decided to go for GoodYear EfficientGrip Performance (these were €308,- for the set, balanced, inflated to 2,7 bar and mounted to the wheels and car).
Grand total: €503,- for a new set of Astana's and tires.

Now came the final test, which is my route to work!
It was very cold that morning (about 3,5 ºC), so luck was not on my side (traffic was very low though).
The consumption in the city was pretty much the same as before, the wheels and tires reacted good on the road and there was significantly less road noise!
The tires were very comfy, not too soft as that would have a bad influence of the handling of the GTE.
The grip was actually very good and the tires lend themselves great to a bit more spirited driving!
This morning i kept in mind to drive efficiently, so no clowning around and try to see what range i was able to get.
The real difference with these wheels are on the highway: my consumption dropped from 20-21 kWh to a staggering 14-15 kWh!!
This had everything to do with roll resistance and aerodynamic drag.
Also my speed was 60 mph or 95 kmh and when you pass the 100 kmh mark, the consumption tends to go up big time (especially with the cold)!
For the first time since having this car, the indicated range on the speedo matches the range i'm truly getting (at highway speeds)!

When i arrived at work i had 1 km of EV range left on the speedo and this was my very first trip on full electric!
I think it's great, since it was also pretty cold.
The wheels really did an outstanding job!
Since owning these wheels (which is a week now), i had to do 1 trip with 2 km's of Battery Hold, since the wind was so strong it had a bad impact on my consumption.
I guess i'm a bit more weather dependant now, but i'm still very happy with the result.

Now my little project has succeeded, since the trips to work don't need fuel anymore (give or take) and i can do a lot longer with 1 tank of petrol: less than 1 fillup every month.
So here you can see even though the wheels gave me a tiny bit of range extra, it makes all of the difference when looking over the whole month.
4 km's of EV range extra and no more Battery Hold and no more unnecessary wear on the engine!
EV range has increased by 10%, so that is a huge win in my books!
Monthly cost has reduced from €135 to below €80.

Also some specs on the wheels and tires i had and have:
Old: Serron 18" 7.5J - ContiSportContact 5 225/40 R18
New: Astana 16" 6.5J - GoodYear EfficientGrip Performance 205/55 R16
I don't remember the exact weight, but the rim is 2 kg lighter and the tire is 2 kg lighter, so a grand total of 16 kg of unsprung weight reduction!

I honestly don't care anymore that they look bad, the looks have already grown a bit on me.
They function very well and i can see why VW put them on the E-Golf, they work and i also think they drive a lot better!
So my apologies for the long story, but i think it's good to tell the whole story :)

Credits go to Doccb1979 for sharing the information and ultimately leading me to my decision to buy these wheels, thanks!!

If anyone has any questions or comments, feel free!

Regards,
Otto

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well done, both on understanding the point of the car and putting functionality over form! (y) :D :D
Thank you for the compliment, sir :)
I can totally understand now why this car is perfect to some and useless to others.
The more short distances you drive and charging capabilities you have, the better the running costs.
If you can't charge at all (at home or close proximity) and rely mostly on recharging while driving, it's basically a heavy 1.4 TSI with a battery that's empty most of it's time..

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Short being relative - 30 miles per time. Interesting that manufacturers are not greatly increasing the battery component / decreasing the ICE. VW could use their 1.0 litre engine and double the battery for small mass, cost and packaging penalties.
You are spot on with the description of it if you can't charge regularly.
In the UK we are rushing headlong into the world of PHEV, but are lightyears behind you (the Dutch) in charging infrastructure, hence all too many are run mainly on petrol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some new developments here!
I just made a trip to work to start my nightshift and even though it's cold (4 ºC), i established a new record:

I've driven 37 km and have 5 km of range left!
I've never gotten here as efficient as today :p
Also my average consumption of 14.5 kWH/100km is a new record for me (considering my commute of 3/4 highway and 1/4 city).
I think this has everything to do with the weather, since the wind was very calm and the roads were dry.
Auxiliaries off (AC/heater, just heated drivers seat for the first part of my journey), radio and headlights on.

Coming very close to the indicated range (which is 45 km when fully charged), i honestly believe nobody has ever truly reached this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hmm, I think you bought the wrong car if all you care about is economy. The GTE is about efficient performance, not outright efficiency.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, I think you bought the wrong car if all you care about is economy. The GTE is about efficient performance, not outright efficiency.
You have a point yes, but why not have a fun car and keep it cost-effective?
That's the thing i'm trying to accomplish: something very affordable when you need it to be and fun when you want it to be!
The GTE ticks all of those boxes for me, but i'm fine with people having different opinions, i can respect that :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, I understand. My car has to be a comfortable motorway cruiser and a fun drivers car. It can be hard to find a car that can fulfill dual roles. The GTE comes very close.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum - I am looking at electrification to improve performance, not give me greater economy. Its great that you are sharing your experience with the community.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, sir :)
I can very much understand what you're saying about electricity being a performance boost instead of an economy boost.
I think the GTE is a good (but not perfect) example of how it can be both, like you said it comes close.
If done right, electricity can give a good boost to both, but the car has to suit your situation perfectly and i think that's why most fail to fit the entire public.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The best efficiency I have got is 14.2kWh/100km on a summer's day with only the fan cooling the cabin, no AC or heat. But that was with some really gentle and sensible driving, although about half of my route is motorway, uphill at 60 mph. At 14.2kWh/100km, I calculated a range of 32 miles was possible assuming 7kWh capacity available.

Between temperatures of 13'C and 18'C, approximately, the car can make sufficient use of waste heat from the electric motor drivetrain to warm the cabin to a comfortable temperature (~20'C). Below this, electric heating is needed. This is where the E-Golf is superior as it has an optional heatpump.

Might be worth looking here: Thermal performance of Golf GTE in winter weather

I've long said it, the GTE is a fantastic "Jekyll and Hyde" car. A quiet family hatchback, happily cruising on E-mode to work and back, but press that GTE button and it lights up and becomes a beast of a car. While it's no GTI in terms of total performance, it gets much better fuel economy and has better power delivery than a GTI. So it's a win in my mind.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I am looking at electrification to improve performance, not give me greater economy.
I'd be interested on your view as to how successfully it does this! :p
Clearly there must be a weight penalty for the battery and all of the hybrid system etc., and I'd be interested to know how it stacks up against (say) a 2.0 TFSI? Back in the day I really enjoyed the GTD and its equivalent the 309 DTurbo for their widely available torque band and found the original Golf GTi's with turbos uninspiring as whilst fast as they had limited torque in some parts of the rev range but also limited excitement (other than sheer speed) at high revs - they fell between the GTD and the Civic Type R without the benefits of either.
Edit - my post overlapped with @tom66 and his view is clear (y)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The best efficiency I have got is 14.2kWh/100km on a summer's day with only the fan cooling the cabin, no AC or heat. But that was with some really gentle and sensible driving, although about half of my route is motorway, uphill at 60 mph. At 14.2kWh/100km, I calculated a range of 32 miles was possible assuming 7kWh capacity available.
Wow, 14,2 kWh is a pretty nice average and that would easily let you surpass 40 km or 25 miles, especially considering the battery is only 8,7 kWh (operating range obviously being slightly less).
I can also understand if it's warmer outside (maybe about 15 ºC?), more range is definitely doable and 45 km should be within reach.
But that's less important to me now, i finally managed to do my daily commute on full E-mode and whether the car can do 40 or 45 km, i'm a happy camper :)

I've long said it, the GTE is a fantastic "Jekyll and Hyde" car. A quiet family hatchback, happily cruising on E-mode to work and back, but press that GTE button and it lights up and becomes a beast of a car. While it's no GTI in terms of total performance, it gets much better fuel economy and has better power delivery than a GTI. So it's a win in my mind.
Yes, your statement is spot on!
It's no GTI, but here in the Netherlands the GTE is a proper fast car and i even had some traffic light runs against GTI's and GTD's and the GTE was just a tiny bit quicker of the line!
It's a very good compromise for me, since diesel taxes here are getting insane (about €125 in monthy taxes just for owning a diesel) and the GTI just uses alot more fuel (also theft is a real thing here with GTI's and R's).

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Ah, what a car. I had two of those one after the other, fantastic handling and the torque a revelation compared to the rivals at the time.
Agreed - pity that they were put together from poor materials inside which fell to pieces even if the mechanicals were unbreakable.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,041 Posts
Agreed - pity that they were put together from poor materials inside which fell to pieces even if the mechanicals were unbreakable.
Really? That's not been my experience. Mine seems very well screwed together and nice materials too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have another update and i’ve set another new record for myself, it seems the GTE is capable of an actual range of 45 km after all!

As you can see: it’s my standard trip to work so 37 km, but this time i have 8 km of range left!
The only difference i did myself is driving 100 km/h instead of 95 km/h on the highway.
The rest of the difference is due to the weather i think (lack of wind).
Temperature is a tiny bit higher, but still considered cold.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well done Otto, and I'm pleased that your range has improved.

When I bought my new GTE in 2018 I deliberately chose the standard model with 17" wheels over the Advance model
with stupidly large alloys. This meant no heated seats sadly, but I really didn't want those even bigger wheels.

In my opinion, even the standard 17" wheels with their 45 profile tyres are too big because they spoil the quiet and comfortable
ride of the lower model Golfs. On certain road surfaces the road noise is awful, and must be even worse on the Advance model.
What is the point of having a near silent electric motor if it is drowned by tyre noise? I have often thought of fitting a set of smaller
wheels to get a quieter ride and perhaps improve range and fuel consumption.

My BMW 320d Touring is the Efficient Dynamics model. It has a few small tweaks to reduce emissions and fuel consumption, one
of which is smaller (16") wheels for reduced friction and drag. It certainly works because I get more than 60mpg and a slightly
better ride than my previous 320d. I'm convinced that smaller wheels would improve the GTE in the same way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for the compliment, sir :)

60 mpg in a 320d is really good in my opinion, well done!
I would've loved a torquey diesel as i think they drive great.
Just a shame the taxes here in the Netherlands are so high: about €125 to €135 every month and that's without driving her!
We pay taxes purely based on type of fuel used and dry weight (so you can see the more luxury diesels are less attractive)..
A petrol car with the same weight has about €60 of monthly tax and a hybrid (the GTE in this case) about €30.

Yes, the smaller wheels with 'thicker' tires really help in terms of road noise.
My 18" wheels were okay, but nowhere near silent (i also don't know the age and mileage of them).
These 16" wheels are really as silent as a wheel can be, on every road and at every speed.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Really? That's not been my experience. Mine seems very well screwed together and nice materials too.
A Ryton built 309GTD described as well built? Perhaps mine were both Friday cars. (Sorry for being off topic - the improvement in efficiency of the GTE with smaller wheels is very impressive)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When people ask me why i run this ugly wheel/tire combo:

Here you can see i’ve driven 32 km (highway) and when entering the city i still have 16 km (!!!) of range left!!
This equates to 48 km of total E-only range.
Average consumption is 12.4 kWh/100km and that’s something you’re never going to get with the stock Serron’s.
Average with Serron’s is 20 kWh/100km.
Factory E-Golf quoted: 15 kWh/100km.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts