Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Myself included. I live in zone 3 and while I do have a driveway it's not quite generous enough to accommodate my Model S without almost half a metre overhang onto the pavement. I had the wiring done for my home EVSE but stopped short of actually installing the unit, since the SCs turned out to be convenient enough for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Myself included. I live in zone 3 and while I do have a driveway it's not quite generous enough to accommodate my Model S without almost half a metre overhang onto the pavement. I had the wiring done for my home EVSE but stopped short of actually installing the unit, since the SCs turned out to be convenient enough for me.
That's interesting to know. How often do you have to visit one?

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
Couldn't you just terminate the cable to an outlet? I understand that the electrical code there requires a switch for all the outlets in the home, etc, surely there's a way to do so externally as well?

If they've already run the wire, what's the harm in putting in an outlet?

I have two of three outlets wired up outside the home.

IMG_5337 by dennis_p, on Flickr

Capable of providing a 50A feed (40A usable by one charger via the UMC). That nets me 29 miles per hour of charging. Surely that's worth the convenience of being able to top off at home and not have to fight London traffic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone else notice Tesla have quietly slipped another SC in? Not had the customary email notification yet.

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/supercharger/londontower

You can't say Tesla haven't got central London covered!
That's just extracting the urine, from us none London folk.

How sneaky not mailing users like they normally do. Tesla underhanded SC and you know it.

Alarm call to Tesla.......some people drive their Model S away from London, I realise you may not understand that we all don't live in London.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's interesting to know. How often do you have to visit one?
I haven't been for about two weeks. I've just been pootling around locally since then and still have over 50% charge, so I could probably go another two weeks, unless something comes up requiring a longer trip. It does mean I can't do a long trip at a moment's notice, but I haven't found that to be an issue yet.

I've done weekends away where I book-end my trip with charge sessions.

Couldn't you just terminate the cable to an outlet? I understand that the electrical code there requires a switch for all the outlets in the home, etc, surely there's a way to do so externally as well?
I could, but then I'd need to buy or build a UMC equivalent, so if I was doing that I might as well just install the full EVSE. The UMC isn't being sold in the UK (to my knowledge) - my Model S only came with a Type 2 cable.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
That's just extracting the urine, from us none London folk.

How sneaky not mailing users like they normally do. Tesla underhanded SC and you know it.

Alarm call to Tesla.......some people drive their Model S away from London, I realise you may not understand that we all don't live in London.
I understand they build infrastructure where their customers are, guess most of their customer are in/around London!

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
No email about it says a lot from Tesla.
Typically announcements (and launch events) occur after the actual launch.

Additionally, when superchargers are finally turned on, they pop up on the Model S navigation system.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I understand they build infrastructure where their customers are, guess most of their customer are in/around London!
And no surprise... a massive incentive avoiding the congestion charge + highest average net worth.

Up here in the grim north we make do with home charging, as well as days out of our schedule to drive to the nearest service centre :D

At least my car is rare :D

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I got an email from them tonight, same day that it was "discovered", which is a new record!

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
I got an email from them tonight, same day that it was "discovered", which is a new record!
That's pretty quick for them. The San Juan Capistrano charger was up/operational and in-use for two weeks before the announcement and another week before they had a ceremony.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
My email arrived last night – timestamped 20.40.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
lets be honest we are complaining about a 1st world issue, not getting an email before a new supercharger goes live is something I think (i am not sure) that I can live with.

Just keep the superchargers coming tesla :)

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
lets be honest we are complaining about a 1st world issue, not getting an email before a new supercharger goes live is something I think (i am not sure) that I can live with.

Just keep the superchargers coming tesla :)
You want to try the LEAF Sat Nav, so iffy on the charger data it's almost pointless, sometimes worse. :(

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
You want to try the LEAF Sat Nav, so iffy on the charger data it's almost pointless, sometimes worse. :(
Yeah I gave up on using the leaf satnav to find chargers, I must say the tesla satnav is very nice, new superchargers just appear and the directions are incredibly accurate

1 - 20 of 21 Posts