Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back to Glasgow, this time starting and stopping in Wiltshire.

No chargers failed, everything perfect.
A419 / M5 / M6 / A74(M)/ M74 and back.

Observations: M5 between Gloucester and Frankley is a bit thin on charging. The Beeches car park CYC at Cirencester was brilliant, £4 isn't too bad, if you're actually filling your battery, if you're just getting a few minutes to be able to reach your destination, £4 for a few kWh is silly. Nice Siemens triple-headed rapid, which can theoretically charge more than one vehicle at a time.

The wonderful Tebay services now has plinths in place for two rapid chargers, and an absolutely massive switchgear cabinet. I wonder if this is going to be for local battery storage, to cater for lack of grid capacity?

20150928_072425.jpg

Penrith (Rheged Centre) is an interesting one. Two brand new triple-headed Ecotricity / RCN chargers, just off the M6. The centre itself is an arts / community centre / tourist information type place, and very impressive it is too when it's open. Chargers available 24/7.

Glasgow is pretty good for EV charging, some of the city centre car parks offer free charging and free parking for EVs (sign in at reception to get a special discounted exit ticket, impressive to see an expensive car park charge discounted to £0 ), but the EV bays fill up quickly, when I left, there were two EVs parked in normal bays, because the 7 EV bays were full (CYC-operated APT evolt chargers and some wonderful dumb 13A sockets).

Long journey, no stress, but not the sort of thing you'd do if you were in a hurry. Next time, I'll probably take the train.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,949 Posts
Quick question about these £4 chargers, how is the charge decided? The minute you initiate a charge or on completion of a successful charge (and what defines successful?)

I've charged on a local Siemens rapid with my Zoe and it was fantastic..... but they ain't all that way, I've used 2 others that connected, failed to charge, but disconnected in such a way that the charge thought it was successful, having delivered 0.00kw. The one I tried to use in Manchester, Salford Royal Infirmary I think did this. I kept re-trying hoping if I held the cable, moved my car a bit, etc etc that it would eventually work but it kept terminating charge at 0.00kw. Could have cost me £40 for zero charge, fault is entirely down to the charger as I said as Zoe charged on an identical charger elsewhere.

This is why I think charging for a "charge" can't and won't work. Charging for "fuel" delivered (and then time after an initial 30mins of charging) is the only fair method paying.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quick question about these £4 chargers, how is the charge decided? The minute you initiate a charge or on completion of a successful charge (and what defines successful?)
I've just checked.
If energy dispensed = 0kWh, then it's not a successful charge, and so the per-charge fee doesn't apply. I fumbled with the start of a charge session, the charge was cancelled, but it still logged.
(With CYC, other services that may do a per-charge fee such as Chargepoint Genie may differ)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts