Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona 2021 64kWh Premium
180 Posts
I can’t say for certain, but the 12v I believe is the same as it would be in other cars so don’t see why not. A bigger question would be why?

I originally had the concern from a few horror stories of 12v dying but genuinely since having the car I’ve never even seen a warning. I have a dashcam hardwired that’s on 24/7, but no warnings. I regularly see the 12v being topped up by the HV when parked, so seems to be fixed.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona 2021 64kWh Premium
180 Posts
No problems 😇

Honestly I wouldn’t worry, keep the main battery topped up and it’ll in turn keep the 12v topped up every few hours 👍🏻

·
Registered
Kona 64
831 Posts
If only, I have a Sept 18 Kona and am now on my 3rd battery. I use a CTEK charger once a month.
My first battery failed at 15 months and was replaced by an equally unsuitable ICE battery by the dealer. I then bought an emergency charge pack which was rarely used till I started having problems in March this year.
I had left the ignition on, whilst my party served a picnic from the boot with the hatch open and I went off to find a working pay point. By the time I got back they had ‘helpfully’ turned the ignition off. Result, flat battery, which had to be kicked into life by the emergency pack. The battery lasted another month and then failed and would not respond to my ‘defibrillator’. Once you have a big voltage drop a lead acid battery will never recover.
The second battery had lasted much longer to 27 months so was it the CTEK or me being more careful not to leave the boot open without the ignition on? A new 12V battery at my expense, car over 3 years old. The latest battery has a 3 year warranty. I did not go for the best solution which would be a Lithium 12V battery as some Teslas now have or an AGM battery as I will be swapping the car within the year. If you look on the forums for the new Ioniq, this problem continues much to their amazement. No lessons learned by Hyundai, or is it the cost accountants wince at the cost of a proper 12V battery?

I still use the CTEK monthly on both our cars.
Reminder, the 12V battery only a 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I see I just wondered as we don't do a lot of milage these days thanks for your reply.
Last year, mine failed without warning and left me stranded on a carpark. Hyundai recovery sent the AA to get me started and I drove straight to the Hyundai dealer where it died again when they tested it. New battery under the 2 year warranty (just) and back up and running. If you have your car serviced at the main dealer, you automatically get the Hyundai Roadside Assist renewed, which means if the 12 volt does fail, you won't be stranded for long.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,778 Posts
I would recommend a CTek charger. I don't have a Kona but if it is little used then don't leave the main battery fully charged. Better to maintain it around 75%. And I doubt that the main battery will do anything until the Start button is on. You will only need the .8 amp charger, the bigger chargers cost a lot more money and I have used the small version to resurrect failing batteries, it might take 2 weeks but they do seem to bring a poor battery back to good. I sold a 15 year old Astra with its orginal battery last year.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I see I just wondered as we don't do a lot of milage these days ....
The Kona does a good job keeping the 12V battery charged when parked. The killer is leaving a door or the hatch cover open for anything more than perhaps 30 minutes. I'm also seeing recently that leaving the portable "charger" plugged into the car but not powered is not a good thing either.

I've found my ICE car does a worse job of keeping its battery charged and so I use a solar charger on that.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
156 Posts
You have to be careful when connecting a charger as you can damage the 12v battery monitoring system. The car charges the battery every few hours anyway so it shouldn't be necessary. Note that the 12v battery can be run down by various car computer systems not powering down, this includes leaving a door slightly open but locked, rilunning a, dash cam or other equipment when the car is switched off and leaving the car plugged into a car charger for several days.

·
Registered
Kona 64
831 Posts
My second battery lasted 28 months against 15 months for the first so I consider the CTEK charger did prolong the battery life. Failure in the end caused by leaving the doors open for too long without the ignition being ‘on’ to maintain 12V battery voltage,

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,778 Posts
You have to be careful when connecting a charger as you can damage the 12v battery monitoring system. The car charges the battery every few hours anyway so it shouldn't be necessary. Note that the 12v battery can be run down by various car computer systems not powering down, this includes leaving a door slightly open but locked, rilunning a, dash cam or other equipment when the car is switched off and leaving the car plugged into a car charger for several days.
My Passat with the sophisticated stop start system and battery monitoring system requires that the negative lead from the charger is fixed to the earth strap from the battery at the body end. A nut is marked for the purpose. I would assume it is the same for all cars?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Passat with the sophisticated stop start system and battery monitoring system requires that the negative lead from the charger is fixed to the earth strap from the battery at the body end. A nut is marked for the purpose. I would assume it is the same for all cars?
Does anyone know if there is an easy to access mounting point on the Kona for this? Pics would be very useful if possible :) . The reason I'm asking is that I couldn't find an easily accessible earthing point on my current Hyundai (i30, not a Kona)

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know if there is an easy to access mounting point on the Kona for this? Pics would be very useful if possible :) . The reason I'm asking is that I couldn't find an easily accessible earthing point on my current Hyundai (i30, not a Kona)

Thanks
On my Skoda Karoq I used to plug it in the cigar lighter which was always live not sure if it is on the Kona EV.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,778 Posts

Thanks
You could try the engine mounts, it doesn’t matter as long as it is not a painted part of the car.

·
Registered
680 Posts
This intelligent battery monitoring device attached to the negative terminal logs current (using the copper-coloured shunt) and voltage (using a wire over to the + terminal) fulltime, 24/7. The car can download that info whenever it wakes up using a single-wire comms called LIN, local interconnect network. Whenever you hook up anything to the 12V battery it's sensible to attach the negative side of that device such that current going in and out of the battery is still accounted for. So, you can use the flat lug in the foreground (marked) or the ring terminal where the other end of the ground cable attaches to the body.
Camera lens Cameras & optics Reflex camera Digital camera Gadget

As a note there's been zero evidence that the sensor can wake up the car to start a charge if the 12V battery voltage drops excessively.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts