Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post here, greetings from Spain. I just bought a 2012 Opel Ampera with around 100.000 Km.

I am really delighted with the car, but a single problem is detracting a little bit from the joy. Under pure electric power the Ampera is making a strange "engine like" noise that is getting me a little bit confused. I have uploaded an mp3 file recorded with my phone, reflecting two instances of accelerating from 20 km/h to around 90 km/h. I had to zip the file for the forum to accept it.

I does not sound to me like the famous "chainsaw" and a suspect wheel bearing has already been changed. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
It DEFINITELY shouldn't be making that sort of noise! Sounds like a bearing in the motor/gearbox combination. If you have a search around on here, someone posted the sound of their gearbox bearing going...

Lovely looking car though, I wish mine were that clean! :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
given the frquency of the noise it sounds like the tranaxle bearing, easy way to tell is to find a deserted strech of road and go from side to side if it's a wheel bearing it will ge tlouder as you load up that side of the car

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
given the frquency of the noise it sounds like the tranaxle bearing, easy way to tell is to find a deserted strech of road and go from side to side if it's a wheel bearing it will ge tlouder as you load up that side of the car
Yes, it clearly sounds louder when the car leans on the left side. But the left front wheel bearing is the one that supposedly has been changed. Maybe it's a bad repair then.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Far less costly to fix the wheel bearing than the transaxle bearing annoying if it's a bad repair it's not a difficult job after all
can you go back to the repairer and get them to do a better job?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Far less costly to fix the wheel bearing than the transaxle bearing annoying if it's a bad repair it's not a difficult job after all
They just had another look at it and this time they decided it is "la transmisión" as we say in Spanish. Fortunately I bought it from a car importer so it is under warranty and therefore there will be no cost for me. It is curious how many names this bearing receives across different countries and languages.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
From my recent
experience you cant just replace the wheel bearing (front) as they don't make a CV joint, anywhere! Worldwide!

You can replace the whole left or right side front driveshafts. I wonder did they actually separate the outer CV joint from the driveshaft and try and fit new matched bearing races and grease etc? If the housing wasn't worn that could work, but with the Ampera being so unique I doubt it, its not like repairing an Astra.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From my recent

experience you cant just replace the wheel bearing (front) as they don't make a CV joint, anywhere! Worldwide!

You can replace the whole left or right side front driveshafts. I wonder did they actually separate the outer CV joint from the driveshaft and try and fit new matched bearing races and grease etc? If the housing wasn't worn that could work, but with the Ampera being so unique I doubt it, its not like repairing an Astra.
You are right, they replaced the whole left driveshaft. But it turns out that was not the source of the noise so now they will go for the engine bearing. I hope they are right this time, this is going to be costly for the importer.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Usual problem of people not knowing what to look for in these cars due to not being many around :( My money's on the gearbox bearing. At least it's their problem to fix and pay for, not yours! Keep taking it back until it's virtually silent, just an addictive whine/whistle when accelerating hard :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to close this thread in case someone in the future has a similar problem and the same type of noise that I uploaded in the first post.

The guilty party at the end was the right front wheel bearing. This was not very intuitive because both me and the mechanic agreed that the car clearly made the noise when leaning on the left side. But just in case he tried and bingo!

For the first time since I bought the Ampera I have been able to experience how an electric car is supposed to sound and feel. I can not be happier!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Very pleased to hear it was an easier and cheaper bearing to fix! And thanks for closing the thread, it's incredibly useful for future readers to find out what the root cause was (y).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everyone- well as is most common (I would think) I joined the forum because I had an issue and needed advice so I apologise if this is a bit rude but Im desperate. My car (Ampera 2012) developed a major issue. I have the same buzz saw sound as mentioned in this thread and am sitting in work 30 miles from home not knowing what to do. I have read the posts so at least now know (think) whats wrong with the car but if anyone could clear up a couple of points for me it would be a great help.

1. Is the car drivable home?
2. Is it covered under the warranty even though I am the third owner (car has 60k on the clock and is a 2012)
3.Has anyone attempted the job themselves and if so what should I be paying for the part (what part/?)
4.If I have to pay - what price should I be paying?
I have no service centre near me as Arnold Shark in Edinburgh are as much help as Willie Wonka's short sighted cousin (the one who allergic to cars)

Very stressed

Neil

Ps. I love the car even though in my short time of driving I have had the steering wheel and doors lock thing happen, The callipers rattle , the charge door refuse to open and now this. Apparently everything that goes wrong has done.
I figure I haven't even saved any money yet as Im always having to repair something.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Neil, Im sure someone will post shortly with verified advice. But as far as I remember it is probably driveable but dont quote me on that, hang on until someone with more knowledge confirms this. The 8 year drivetrain warranty is transferable to new owners but the car must have been serviced by a Vauxhall Dealership and according to Vauxhalls requirements. Did your car have the HV coolant change on 5th service? I cant answer your other questions but hang on as Im sure someone can answer your questions soon. Good luck mate

·
Registered
597 Posts
Neil

Sorry you are having a stressful time

perceived wisdom is not to drive the car
4ET50 bearing failure is covered by warranty.
It's not a DIY job because you have to get the preload on the bearing correct, there is a video that shows the repair process according to them any competant transmission repairer should be able to fix it

Good luck

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Neil, good luck with the bearing problem - it's fixable. But the dealers can't do anything about the caliper rattle! My 2012 had this, badly on the front discs, and I'm surprised other Ampera owners here haven't also moaned! It's a known problem on Astra Js also. Here's how I analysed this problem, and fixed it. No rattles now for the last 20 k miles since I did it!
Ampera Brake Rattle Solution

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Andy, Many thanks for the reply and advice. I am at a loss as to what to do now. Arnold Clark want me to take the car to Edinburgh and have it put on the diagnostic machine (£178.00) even though I have told them what is wrong and I don't know of a diagnostic machine that will read that fault. I had no option but to drive it home though and I made it with no other issue other than one or two weird looks in the High Street. I have a good friend who is a mechanic that I might take it to do the job and maybe that brake calliper thing as well. It has all but killed my liking of this machine. Onwards and upwards!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Freebird thank you for the reply, I'm in a position of dying that the services were not done at Vauxhall no, it was an independent garage though it was vauxhall parts. I dont see a mention of the HV coolant either. So that means no warranty? I only use it for work and back and realised that it's only done 52k and not 60 which is even more galling seeing as it seems to be a known issue. I'm thinking about trying to make more noise about it outside Vauxhall as I think it's pretty shoddy especially as they changed the part on later production units. Do you have any idea what I should pay to have it replaced?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts