Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just thought I'd stick my head above the parapet and say "Hello!".

I'm not new to the PHEV market as I've just swapped over from the Ampera part of this forum.

Cheers

G

·
Registered
493 Posts
Be interested to know why you went from an Ampera to an Outlander...
Ah! Sorry should have read the other thread first! Welcome to Outlanderland anyway!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Be interested to know why you went from an Ampera to an Outlander...
Ah! Sorry should have read the other thread first! Welcome to Outlanderland anyway!
Likewise, I think a few people would, @garetht assuming you have now got an Outlander or at least on order what the attraction is over the Ampera, more space would be one I guess.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Off road capabilities? :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My disillusionment with the Ampera was based in part due to the number of times it had to go back to the dealer because of :

A) The charge door needed replacement due to it breaking and not opening.
B) The unlock button on the drivers door failing
C) The tyre pressure monitoring failing

Another part was due to the woeful "sat-nav", in the 21st century how can a nav system that only uses 5 chars of the post code be right ? (Yes I do realise that the American zip code system (which the Ampera is a direct "port" from just with a different map) is based upon is only 5 chars).

All this makes me a bit sad as I was one of the ePioneers and as such was a major advocate for the Ampera, I now consider my self as an advocate for PHEV and not the Ampera.

Cheers

G

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
The poor sat nav reviews made me not shell out extra on the Electron. Don't see the point unless manufacturers give free updates (and few do). Who doesn't have a smartphone with free sat nav these days?

I know all too well how a poor experience can ruin your perception, but I can't really moan about anything other than the fact it doesn't lock itself as you walk away. Ie nothing to complain abiut (as yet).

·
Registered
65 Posts
I heard a rumour a new Ampera was on its way next year, one would like to think that they might have addressed these issues but not much help if you have the existing car.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
We have just ditched our Ampera too but instead of getting an Outlander to replace it we went for the new Qashqai. This made more sense for us as we seldom use it for short trips and so we would rarely benefit from the EV aspect. The Qashqai should return about the same as the mpg we were getting from the Ampera... about 60mpg or there abouts.

Enjoy your Outlander. We liked it when we test drove but just preferred the styling and drive of the Qashqai otherwise we could easily have got one too.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I don't think there was any single nail as such. I just never "gelled" with the car. All the little niggles got to me more than they should have and combined to make me want to get rid of it. Also, we were missing not having an SUV...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The guy who put in my wallbox earlier mentioned having done a couple of installs for Outlander owners..also that it would sit at the lights with the ICE at constant revs charging up.."Like a train",he said..

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The guy who put in my wallbox earlier mentioned having done a couple of installs for Outlander owners..also that it would sit at the lights with the ICE at constant revs charging up.."Like a train",he said..
That's not accurate or very unusual. Even when battery "depleted" its holds a reserve of about 30%. when slowing or stopping it always seems to cut the engine and sit there in absolute silence. There is always enough juice to crawl in traffic or pull away gently in EV mode. I usually notice the ICE starting again a mile or two down the road.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Charging the battery using the ICE on any PHEV is never a good way. It is always less efficient, and so more expensive, to charge the battery from the petrol than to just use the ICE when driving along.

I have heard of people just running the engine to charge the battery when parked. This really is not a good idea. The energy in the battery that is generated from the petrol in this way is still from petrol but some is wasted in storing it in the battery. Batteries are best charged from external power by plugging in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have not known mine ever run its engine when stopped. Actually the only time it seems to run the ICE is on general cruising motorway journeys. But then only done 600 miles in it so far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts