Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this site whilst looking for info and it's been very helpful.
I ordered a new Outlander PHEV at the beginning of April having read the AutoExpress write-up.
I live in London and we have a school run of about 3 miles each way every day, twice a day and, for good measure the school is just inside the Congestion Zone. Currently running a Kia Picanto which has been fine but now 3 years old and next year we will have 2 boys at the same school so could do with something bigger but needed to comply with the sub 75g CO2 requirement. Outlander PHEV is perfect (indeed I am probably the ideal buyer!) with the added bonus that I can buy it through my company with the additional tax breaks that gives.
It is due to come at the end of the month and really looking forward to playing with the tech.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi, nice to read you :) I had been driving Frontera and Antara before opting for the green aspect of an Ampera. That was over two years ago and at that time I am fairly certain that the idea of an electric SUV was pie in the sky (although could be wrong as hadn't discovered this site then). Any ways will wait and see how the Mitsubishi pans out - also drove several Delica models so like the feel of big Mitsus. May very well opt for swap at 3yrs. Also now trying to get a friend who tows a caravan to check it out as have just convinced her to go solar. Will you ever be towing?

Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No plans for towing ( I notice it can tow 1500kg) but have ordered a detachable towbar for an Atera bike carrier.
Whilst doing some searching on youtube there was a clip of a Dutch guy who uses his to tow a horsebox - no subtitles but he seemed pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
What is the towing guidance / kerb-weight etc with the Outlander PHEV? Something I miss with the LEAF is the ability to pop a boat trailer on the back......

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
Hi, nice to read you :) I had been driving Frontera and Antara before opting for the green aspect of an Ampera. That was over two years ago and at that time I am fairly certain that the idea of an electric SUV was pie in the sky (although could be wrong as hadn't discovered this site then).
The electric Rav4 was first released in 1997 :(

But I am really glad the Outlander PHEV is here, I think they've nailed the marketing and will sell lots of them, can't to have a drive in one! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Towing weight for Outlander is 1500kg (down on the 2000kg for the diesel).
I'm not a towing expert so not sure how big a boat that is equivalent to!
The limiting factor is the rear electric motor

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Towing weight for Outlander is 1500kg (down on the 2000kg for the diesel).
I'm not a towing expert so not sure how big a boat that is equivalent to!
The limiting factor is the rear electric motor
Pretty big, a 6.5m dive RIB fully laden on a twin axle trailer only tips the scales at around 1100kg IIRC. If you're careful with loading you could probably get a 20ft trailer sailer on for under 1500kg!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts