Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Another problem with my Zoe

6K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Sandy 
#1 ·
Hi, once again my Zoe is heading back to the dealer. Attempted to top up at a rapid charger while out shopping and got the message "charging impossible". The spanner and battery symbols were lit and the recovery guy relayed advice that it was safe to drive home (which it seemed to be) and now it needs to go to the garage as I've no charge left and can't charge it.

Anyone else experienced this? This is my third breakdown in a month and I've only had the car since May. I really love the car but worried that It will never be reliable and I'll not be able to trust it. Also, that there will come a point where my legal right to reject the goods has passed.

Ideas welcome. Thank you.

#3 ·
I've played this game with both BMW and Nissan before and you need to allow them 3 attempts to fix the same fault before you can reject your car. If you keep getting persistent faults i found it easier to get a replacement car from both BMW and Nissan. Always use the phrase "Not fit for purpose".

Speak to the manager of the dealership not the salesman they have no power to help you.

Good luck and just remember to phone them everyday, it will annoy them into sorting it out.

I hope this helps

#7 ·
We have this quite often with our home charge unit, zoes are just a bit sensitive it seems. Somtimes works to unplug , shut charge door, lock car, then try again. Worst i have had i had to leave it for a few hours then was fine. With early cars it was blamed on the BCP unit but be interesting to hear what Renault say.......good luck.

#8 ·
@Shona I've had this problem a couple of times at some charge points. The comments above fit my experience too.

I think the earthing on some charge units is outside ZOE's fussy parameters (many were installed before Zoe came on the scene) so it says no and does the BCI thing to protect itself. I once persisted and tried recharging 3 times at the same place. Don't do this, the car then won't charge for an hour or two. Just lock it up, swear at it and walk away for while.
Now when I'm out if I get this problem I might try a second time if I think I may have pushed the plug into the car a bit wonky. Otherwise I drive on to a newer charger.

Ecotricity chargers are pretty reliable in my experience.
Have you noticed which types of unit give you the problems?

Reactions: kentish zoe
#10 ·
Given that you've successfully used this charger before two other tips:
- make sure you insert the plug into the car smoothly and evenly. The pin lengths are slightly different. When my kids have wrestled with inserting it I've had this problem a few times;
- if it's an ecotricity rapid, then once you're plugged in, wait a couple of seconds before pressing the tick on the screen of the charge unit. The comms between the two needs to be done before the charger leaps into action. In my haste i sometimes cause BCI anomaly or similar, only for it to be fixed when I patiently try a second time.

13000 miles now and since following these two unsubstantiated theories I've not had a BCI for months. Previously 1 a month wasn't uncommon. No repairs or work on the car that would otherwise explain such a change.

Let us know how you get on.

#17 ·
From Twitter, may help:

A street charger will commonly have a higher earth impedance than a domestic charger as a street charger will commonly be on a TT earth (local spike in the ground) whereas a domestic charge will commonly be on a TN-C-S / PME earth. On PME the path between earth and neutral is as far away as the terminal block on your incoming cable and may be less than 2 Ohms, but with TT the path is physically through the ground and could be up to 200 Ohms.

#19 ·
In my 18months of Zoe ownership I have lost my Zoe no less than 3months to breakdowns but after a charge control computer software update Zoe is now behaving herself (sort of) as I lost her again 2weeks ago with a
"CHECK ELECTRICAL SYSTEM" fault.
Zoe is thee best BEV this side of a Tesla without a doubt but the "Chameleon" charger IS soo fussy and makes the whole thing so unreliable and yes Renault will and does blame everything and everyone apart from the car and themselves as wife and I got blamed for pugging the charge plug into Zoe to slowly! plus we are on our 4th Chargemaster charger now as Renault blamed the charger to!

It is a shame that Renault have to work against we Zoe owners instead of working with us:mad:

#21 ·
I've never encountered this problem before and I've used that charge point several times. This was the first time I'd tried to use a rapid charger since having a new motor fitted 10 days ago.
How are you getting on with Zoe @Shona is she behaving now?

#23 ·
Hopefully my fellow Californians are treating you well on your trip.

Renault is one of the few EV manufacturers that you can't buy or lease in California, however.

Would love to check out a Twizy one of these days.

#25 ·
Just a quick update as there have been varying reports on Renault Customer service but they could not have been more helpful in trying to solve the BCI issue , both head office and the local dealer in Canterbury. They have upgraded the 3 ECU's and there has been no repeat since, although I have tried inserting lead slowly, quickly and at a jaunty angle !!
To give them their due , at no time have they tried to blame this on the 'faulty earth' syndrome either.
Fingers crossed for many more trouble free Zoe miles.......
And thanks for the natty sticker @Paul
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback City car

#28 ·
Hi, once again my Zoe is heading back to the dealer. Attempted to top up at a rapid charger while out shopping and got the message "charging impossible". The spanner and battery symbols were lit and the recovery guy relayed advice that it was safe to drive home (which it seemed to be) and now it needs to go to the garage as I've no charge left and can't charge it.

Anyone else experienced this? This is my third breakdown in a month and I've only had the car since May. I really love the car but worried that It will never be reliable and I'll not be able to trust it. Also, that there will come a point where my legal right to reject the goods has passed.

Ideas welcome. Thank you.
Hi shona, how are you getting on with your zoe? I think we are in a similar situation. I love the car but mines is not reliable. I don't know about you but I have found renault have tried to deny any liability whatsoever.

#29 ·
Hi emc, my car has been pretty good since my original post. However, since January this tear it has been dead 3 times when I went to it. First time it was plugged in to the home charger but recovery guy had to put some charge in the 12v so that it could be unplugged and put into neutral. Garage failed to get to the root of the problem, did software updates but it happened twice more. I've got it back today with a new 12v battery so hopefully it's fixed. To be fair the garage have been really good and I've had a coutesy car each time - a Zoe the last twice.

#30 ·
I can confirm from own experience the car is pretty sensitive to a flaky 12 V battery. The give-away is either the car being entirely dead (all the computers, lights, locks, basically all non-traction systems are powered from the 12 V battery). Another one is "Check Electric(al?) system" in the dash. Never ending "Ongoing checks" and "charging impossible" is an entirely different animal and not related to the 12 V system.

@Shona It is not needed to charge the 12 V for the "gear" to unlock. Even in the user instruction manual there is a procedure to unlock it, you'have to lift up the soft cover to get to the unlock handle. However, when the 12 V is dead it's dead and when there isn't even enough juice in it to kick start the charging process you're in a deadlock.

One cause (but not the only one!) for a dead 12 V battery is if the charger plug is not seated well overnight. The car and all it's computers stay awake and try to lock the plug indefinately. After a couple of hours it's game over.

Renault has the 12 V battery replaced after 3 years in their maintenance schedule.

#31 ·
This all probably explains why the 12v battery is a 3rd service item (which I always thought was a bit soon) but I suppose the 12v probably takes more of a beating than in an ICE where its topped up all the time basically (in an EV it probably actually gets a bit of a discharge).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.