Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry, I seem to do nothing but complain about the cost of EVs, but I've just done a small bit of research, and I'm sure it means something that I can't fathom myself, over the obvious "EVs are bloody expensive" conclusion, so I'd like to hear some other opinions please.

BCA car auctions, 90 EVs for sale, 38 of which are Teslas, and added to a few Audis, Jaguars etc, grouped together are priced at estimate at over £25k - so approximately 50% of the available second hand electric cars at auction are luxury, and unobtainable to "normal" people.

Autotrader, 7700 EVs for sale, 6192 of which are over £20k. that's what, 70%, unavailable to the average family.
10 pages of Porsche Taycans for gods sake, and yet back to less than 1 kia niro at less than £30k.

My main thought is that the majority of manufacturers are building lots of luxury, but not many family EVs, but are there actually enough buyers for them ?

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Answer - yes, there are buyers, but only those prepared to look at total cost or ownership with fuel/servicing etc costs added in. So, many of these guys go PCP, as that avoids the high up-front 20K+ cost, and protects against any new-tech-super-high-repair-cost-if-XYZ-widget-breaks.

Then there's a much smaller number of people with enough capital to buy outright (like me), but against that there's a much smaller number of these cars being made, than of eh old ICE form. So it kind-of fits together. And the balance is constantly shifting. I have a theory that Revolution is just the same thing as Evolution, only much faster. Am not sure if we're in the middle of a Revolution in motoring, or whether motoring is just Evolving slightly faster than before...

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,120 Posts
This is exactly the point I was making In my recent post about the leaf still the best value as if you don’t have 20k about then not much else to choose from

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
Lower costs ones probably sell quicker as well, so any snapshot of availability is not representative. Someone on here sold their Leaf 24 for £3.5k in one day!

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I have an Ioniq BEV for sale right now. Am asking 24,300 for it (negotiable!). Autotrader add links-in to a finance company offering, so it can be bought e.g. £10,000 down, and 4 years at 422/month. That seems to me to be a very high rate (you can play with the deposit & see how the figures change), but if someone can get a bank load at around 3% then this is a excellent Bev with 3.5 years mfr wty still remaining. Add in really low running costs & this kind of package can make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,120 Posts
Yes I got a bank loan for mine, i worked out it was cost neutral as my old petrol monthly payment was the same as the loan payment!

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,507 Posts
My Leaf E+ (pre registered) costs me £223/month for 37 months on PCP with my CRZ hybrid and £5k cash as deposit.
The final payment is steep but either I can hand it back and walk away, buy it, or part ex it for something else. Changing to an EV saves me over £500/annum.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,728 Posts
Much of the problem is our own fault as we demand a high range from a car or we won't buy. That forces a large battery and a large car to carry that bulk. That, in turn, demands that such a car has all of the latest toys fitted and the price spiral is well established.

Interestingly a few OEMs are now offering unashamedly 'town' cars with a range of 100 miles ish which can be priced at only eyebrow-raising rather than watering levels. Whether their strategy will work has yet to be seen.

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
Much of the problem is our own fault as we demand a high range from a car or we won't buy. That forces a large battery and a large car to carry that bulk. That, in turn, demands that such a car has all of the latest toys fitted and the price spiral is well established.

Interestingly a few OEMs are now offering unashamedly 'town' cars with a range of 100 miles ish which can be priced at only eyebrow-raising rather than watering levels. Whether their strategy will work has yet to be seen.
If it lets them keep the PCP values low (and competitive to petrol models, whose residual value of course drops like a stone) they will shift them. We all need to get used to a market adjustment that electric cars are expensive to buy, cheap to operate, and retain value well.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some interesting points about the finance side, but what about the numbers of these things - there appear to be far more luxury EVs available (with a much smaller potential market) - so are there any actual real, not "advertised" affordable'ish EVs actually actually being made at the moment in any significant numbers, or has covid killed production completely ?

·
Registered
VW eGolf
313 Posts
The average price paid for a new car in the UK is north of £33k. About 2 million a year are sold. Someone is able to buy them (and for all the ICE ones, fuel them too).

Long range EVs have so much value wrapped up in the battery that it makes more sense for manufacturers to push them upmarket with high-margin toys fitted than put them in base spec cars that will be even more harshly compared to ICE equivalents.

Remember too that what’s for sale secondhand is what was sold 2/3/4 years ago on a lease or finance agreement. It was a very different new EV market back then. Will be much more interesting in 3 or 4 years time when the glut of low BIK company cars hit the secondhand market.

·
Banned
843 Posts
Some interesting points about the finance side, but what about the numbers of these things - there appear to be far more luxury EVs available (with a much smaller potential market) - so are there any actual real, not "advertised" affordable'ish EVs actually actually being made at the moment in any significant numbers, or has covid killed production completely ?
What kind of car would you like as a BEV, and what do you want to pay, new, or second hand? Without this info any answers are just circular.

·
Banned
843 Posts
Remember too that what’s for sale secondhand is what was sold 2/3/4 years ago on a lease or finance agreement. It was a very different new EV market back then. Will be much more interesting in 3 or 4 years time when the glut of low BIK company cars hit the secondhand market.
True, Company cars aquired for BIK started en masse in Summer 2019. So 3 years on, Summer 2022 we should see an explosion of 2nd hand BEV.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Agree, it's the used car market which will make affordable EV ownership possible, when you can pick a 3 year old ex-fleet EV for comfortably under £20k it will broaden the appeal.

It's slowly happening, the used prices of higher volume EVs seem to be coming down and it's interesting to see on Autotrader how the volumes of some new and used EV models are starting to build, some are almost piling up. This will put pressure on prices.

I reckon for the average used car buyer EVs still aren't a compelling enough choice, the extra upfront cost eats the fuel savings combined with range and longevity uncertainties then as the used volumes grow those prices will need to adjust to make the more more attractive.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,507 Posts
I was looking for better performance than has hitherto been offered by EVs until relatively recently. The Leaf E+'s 215bhp and 62kwh battery as well as reasonable 'looks' (certainly better than the rest of Nissan's range), good equipment levels in N-tec spec and affordability (and availability in pre registered form), is why I've gone EV. Although the good distribution of charging stations was also a factor.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts