Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

I’m now the proud owner of a leaf 24 Tekna. Thank you for the input about the gear select surround on my first thread.

I’ve amazed my dad with the 360 parking view. I’ve impressed a transit van driver who thought the Leaf was a slow, incapable car. And I’ve also, I figured out how to change the sat nav so it’s just a single birds eye map not the split map. I’m winning so far!

Even better - I’m using an iPhone XS via usb. It finds the phone (as an iPod), it connects, it plays music through the Bose system beautifully.

Amazing! I think I’m passed the majority of problems people have. So now I’m being picky.

If I make a phone call and I want to phone “Dad”... I can click on D on the left hand side of the contact list, it jumps passed A, B and C straight to D. I click “Dad” and off I go. Great.

If I want to listen to Some music. Maybe.... Stereophonics, I have to manually skip through a, b,c,d and so on ... page after page of artists until I hit the S’s and then find Sterophonics. Is that right, or am I missing something obvious? surely I can just skip to S like I can when I’m making a phone call?

I know there’s plenty of bugs in the carS entertainment system but ... for such an intelligent car - with iPod support, that seems like a particularly basic mistake.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I use voice control for the track selection. But I don't subscribe to the evil Apple empire, I use Android, it may be different for Apple fanboys.
Underneath the steering wheel up/down keys there is a slanting set of keys, if you press the top one once, it selects the voice menu. If you press twice you can directly say what you want, for instance with navigation, you say " Navigation, go home" if your home address is in the address book it will take you there. Audio (for example) I say "Audio-> USB-> Albatross-> Open Up" and it plays my favourite track from a 1970's Bournemouth band. Be aware the best way to ensure it works is for the usb stick to be correctly formatted with all .mp3 tracks with the id signature all filled out properly, Artist, Album, genre, year etc.

Welcome to the Leaf world Richard, cheers Tony.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony.

Not getting into the Apple/Android debate - I’m not a fanboy, it’s just what I’ve used for a few generations of phone and it’s been easier to carry on than swap. I am thinking of making the switch when this contract expires.

I may end up playing things by voice. I like plugging my phone in when I get in. It takes a lot of hammer during the day, so generally appreciates the battery top up.

When it comes to technology I prefer touching than speaking. Why can’t it just use the same interface across all screens? They wrote the code, it just doesn’t make sense to have only used it for the phone screen.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
In the pre-Covid world car manufacturers should have been described as assemblers, perhaps they had realised their core competencies. The Infotainment system is a bought in component with a Nissan veneer over the top of the Clarion original. You appear to have scratched through the surface and found the original underneath.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Richard, The head unit is pretty basic and I've been told it uses a modified version of the Windows CE o/s.
It would not be an easy replacement job for an aftermarket head unit as it is tightly integrated into the vehicle's own management system, battery management and charging, aircon and heating, door sensors and cameras etc.

Even as an electronics engineer myself, it is not something I would readily contemplate doing, although I have replaced the head units on many of my former vehicles, the last being my beloved VW EOS.
There is a thread on either here or the other EV forum (based in the USA) where another leaf owner just mounted a 10" tablet in the front of the existing head unit and he seemed to think that worked ok. I couldn't find that thread but this one is similar. Android Auto using a tablet to replace the Nissan screen

Cheers Tony.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Sadly the answer is no. The Nissan head unit requires you to scroll through a whole list of albums in artist order without actually showing you the artists. Tedious and annoying!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sadly the answer is no. The Nissan head unit requires you to scroll through a whole list of albums in artist order without actually showing you the artists. Tedious and annoying!
Richard- For reliability don't forget the USB stick needs to be formatted to FAT32 and every song HAS to have the correctly filled in id tag in the MP3 format. I use several 16gb sticks, one for rock one for chillout one for classical and one for blues all different colours depending on my mood. It just makes it easier than farting about with one big memory stick and trying to find what you want several layers deep.
Tony.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts