Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scunner, it looks like a trip to the dealership. Plugged the car into my home charger, a relay in the Rolec gave a couple of clunks and the car did not toot. Checked the dash and it reported 'Unable to charge' checked the trip on the charger box and it was fine but the trip on the internal spur from the fusebox to the charger had tripped. I reset that and tried again, this time the Rolec gave several clunks and still no charge and the trip went. Tried a public charger and still 'Unable to charge' and dashtop light flashing red. No codes are seen using Torque. Both reservoir levels at the front are fine. Any suggestions?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See if you get different behaviour with the granny charge might be a broken pilot signal cable.
I've just checked the trip and the one in the Rolec is 100 Amp and the one in the house is 63 Amp that is why it is the house one that is tripping and not the Rolec.
I thought about using the granny cable but was wondering if there is something up with the car could it damage the granny cable?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am not technically qualified to offer advice but I am wondering if the car is drivable in this state? If it is, you can, at least get it to your trusted dealer and it would be interesting to see if the battery can be charged in ‘Mountain’ mode.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car is totally driveable. I've tried the granny charger tonight, the car was set to timer charge so double toot when plugged in, then a relay in the granny 'brick' clicks and the horn does another double toot, this goes on for a bit so I had to give up as I would end up waking the neighbours.

·
Registered
627 Posts
looks like a trip to the dealers, it might be a faulty J1772 socket, if it was the car charger i'd expect to see some codes. and you're not seeing them
Interesting to see if there are codes after the granny

·
Registered
448 Posts
From memory, the multiple clunking then refusal to charge sounds like what mine did. Charge port was replaced under warranty. I think there was a hairline crack allowing water ingress.
Either way it's a dealer job.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From memory, the multiple clunking then refusal to charge sounds like what mine did. Charge port was replaced under warranty. I think there was a hairline crack allowing water ingress.
Either way it's a dealer job.
Thanks, public charge points are also clunking on and off with no real pattern. I have had the Charge port already replaced due to someone driving over the cable and pulling it out I think it was around £370 but that included replacing the solenoid actuator for the flap. Hopefully, it is just a crack and moisture has got in and a straightforward job once the parts are in.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
When I had the misfortune of a blown AC onboard charger unit ( the one behind the offside front wing ) the car would not properly start up as the various initialisation checks on the HV side failed. Yours does not sound anything like that serious, so good luck getting it diagnosed properly. Fingers crossed for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
It'll be the Battery Charging Module. Same as mine and at least three others on here that have gone the same way. It's a known fault - just call Bellinger's... It can be replaced under warranty but takes 4-6 weeks to get the part in from Germany. In the meantime you can drive just fine on the ICE.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It'll be the Battery Charging Module. Same as mine and at least three others on here that have gone the same way. It's a known fault - just call Bellinger's... It can be replaced under warranty but takes 4-6 weeks to get the part in from Germany. In the meantime you can drive just fine on the ICE.
Thanks @Richard Gledhill car is out of warranty by 12k so it looks like it will be my pocket. I was hoping that it was maybe just to port having a crack and water ingress but I better start saving.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Oh dear :( Hopefully it will be, but the symptoms are identical to mine. I think the replacement ECU would have been north of £1k if I'd had to pay for it! Fingers crossed for you Ian...

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it's the Battery Charger (Part 24276662 on GMPARTSDIRECT.com then the list price is $1266.19 and them selling it for $952.80 and Special Order Part. Hopefully, I will get 25% off that through the Vauxhall Driver's club. If it is the Charge Port then, according to this website it has been discontinued.

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
If it's the Battery Charger (Part 24276662 on GMPARTSDIRECT.com then the list price is $1266.19 and them selling it for $952.80 and Special Order Part. Hopefully, I will get 25% off that through the Vauxhall Driver's club. If it is the Charge Port then, according to this website it has been discontinued.
Might be worth looking/posting on the US volt forums as they seem to have more cars out of warranty and therefore have been a bit more gung ho about digging into the HV side of things. The initial challenge is getting an accurate diagnosis or it will become a never ending and expensive parts swapping exercise that garages seem to love these days.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks @GJO these parts just seem to be the housing. I still have my old port from when it was replaced before, only a couple of damaged screws and metal washer/sleeves pulled out so if it is the port they might be able to get one good one out of two.
@welshblob I will look into it but, as you say, it needs an accurate diagnosis before I would start buying a part 'just to try it' to see if it fixes it. The car is booked in for Wednesday so we will see how it goes. Currently I am overhauling the brakes on the 'spare' car and they're not looking too good.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Currently I am overhauling the brakes on the 'spare' car and they're not looking too good.
You have two Amperas?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wish, I have a 2006 Meriva that I kind of inherited when my brother let the MOT expire so I put it in for an MOT check that a friend was going to do the repairs but a lack of communication had the garage repair it themselves so I and to pay the bill and kept the car.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts