Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The YouTube algorithm just recommended this video to me

I'm no expert on cars but the rust here doesn't look as bad as the infamous rusty ICE ZS I saw on forums elsewhere last year where every panel was marked with rust spots.

What do current ZS owners think, is it excessive, would it concern you and if you look under your own car do you see similar?

Personally I'm not overly concerned but I don't think it's good that a car of that age shows any signs of rust I'm wondering if its worth doing anything to the underneath of the 5 when we get it or if it'd be better to leave it as if I have any issues the dealer may well point to whatever preventative treatment we'd had done and say that's the problem.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
Have a poke under any other brand 8 months old car and report back.

I recall looking under my Fiat when it was a couple of years old and being shocked at the level of surface rust.... but at 11 years old (with zero treatment) it looked exactly the same. I didn't look under my Zoe because most of what you could see was plastic or the battery pack. I treated my MG with some clear wax in its first week and it still looks pristine to me.

If you care about your car then treat it, if you don't then don't rush to look under it because some random has made a Youtube of their car.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
Always surprises me too that someone with their own post lift didn't prep under their new car? It took me literally 10mins rolling under my car on the drive.

FYI Dave is having his fusebox replaced under warranty, and the drivers door loom is a know soft recall. Cars later on have had this replaced before delivery.

Reactions: SkippyKitten

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I've just had a look underneath my 7 year old Skoda as best I could without jacking it up, there's no obvious signs of rust but most of its covered in plastic so it's impossible to tell without taking all of that off really.

I might ask my dealer if they could treat the underside of the 5 with something to prevent any rust but I'm not too concerned.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I did watch this video about a week ago, I did think it strange that somebody who had the facility of a ramp would do this almost nine months after receiving the car ?.
The first service involves carrying out a full under and upper body check to comply with the warranty T&C’s.
As there is little else to do on the first service, it will be interesting to see if the dealer considers this is worth reporting back to MG themselves ?.
I expect the haters to start preaching “Rustgate” any time about now !.

·
Registered
142 Posts
He’s trying to reject the car - MG have told him where to go because they’re fixing the electrical issues and don’t consider the rust to be out with the terms of the anti perforation warranty.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
He’s trying to reject the car - MG have told him where to go because they’re fixing the electrical issues and don’t consider the rust to be out with the terms of the anti perforation warranty.
Sounds like he generally not happy with the car and is mounting up the issues to support his rejection claim ?.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be fair though he's not making it up there is rust underneath the car and a tiny patch on the door.

However it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as that Thai made ZS, that was unrepairable this looks like something that could be fixed relatively easily under the warranty.

I might ask to have a look underneath a few of the second hand cars next time I'm passing the local dealer just wondered if anyone else had looked under theirs and seen anything.

·
Journeyman Human
455 Posts
To be fair though he's not making it up there is rust underneath the car and a tiny patch on the door.

However it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as that Thai made ZS, that was unrepairable this looks like something that could be fixed relatively easily under the warranty.

I might ask to have a look underneath a few of the second hand cars next time I'm passing the local dealer just wondered if anyone else had looked under theirs and seen anything.
If you get any rust showing through on the upper body, painted surfaces, you've 3 years on that warranty and they'll fix it. It's very unlikely except from at stone damage sites, they won't fix that, it's up to you! The underbody structure has a 7 year warranty against perforation, in other words full rotting through, if that happens, it will be very major work to rectify, but it's covered. The surface rust we're seeing under some cars is not covered at all under any warranty. It's mainly due to the switch from hot zinc phosphate dipping of the bodies to the newer, more environmentally friendly zirconium film method. It's 10 times thinner and less durable, so cut edges and around some spot welds, where the zinc coating on the steel has been compromised during manufacture now sees much earlier rusting.

If you're an owner keeping the car long term, get it properly underbody wax sprayed, including cavities, that will sort it out. The rest of you short term, 2 to 4 year PCP renters really don't need to worry about it, it won't get bad enough over that time period to matter. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sounds like the electrical problems are more significant than the rust - horn going off randomly, power windows not working, power wing mirrors not working, windscreen wipers randomly starting up.

Bit of an unusual one.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
Sounds like the electrical problems are more significant than the rust - horn going off randomly, power windows not working, power wing mirrors not working, windscreen wipers randomly starting up.

Bit of an unusual one.
Apparently the car was due the drivers door wiring replacement, which is a know issue which came to light after the first few cars were delivered. Its a free fix. The horn issue appears related to a fault in the fuse box which is being replaced I believe. The wipers in the service position.... well that seems the owner pressed the wiper stalk all the way down and put the wipers in the park position, there was no provided evidence that the wipers had gone all night (it was speculation). The service position is a feature for cleaning/replacing the wiper blades (common on many cars as it happens).

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently the car was due the drivers door wiring replacement, which is a know issue which came to light after the first few cars were delivered. Its a free fix. The horn issue appears related to a fault in the fuse box which is being replaced I believe. The wipers in the service position.... well that seems the owner pressed the wiper stalk all the way down and put the wipers in the park position, there was no provided evidence that the wipers had gone all night (it was speculation). The service position is a feature for cleaning/replacing the wiper blades (common on many cars as it happens).
I think he has another video showing the wipers going whilst the car is parked and switched off, as I understand it there was a water leak into the fusebox which is being fixed under warranty I think this explains the electrical gremlins. It's not good that it got through QC but these things can happen as long as it's fixed I don't see it as a big deal

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
I think he has another video showing the wipers going whilst the car is parked and switched off, as I understand it there was a water leak into the fusebox which is being fixed under warranty I think this explains the electrical gremlins. It's not good that it got through QC but these things can happen as long as it's fixed I don't see it as a big deal
1 reported failed fusebox out of 1000's of UK deliveries? That's not bad really. Yes it sucks when it happens to you, and might feel like the end of the world, but putting it into wider context its not a big issue and easily rectified by the dealer under warranty (which they are doing).

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Has anybody seen the video of the guy who has a white Exclusive that has over an inch of water in drivers foot well yet ?.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
Has anybody seen the video of the guy who has a white Exclusive that has over an inch of water in drivers foot well yet ?.
To be fair it was an inch in 1 corner. ;)

Wasn't that tracked down to a dodgy window seal which has now been replaced (successfully stopping water ingress, but now has a wind noise issue being looked at).

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
To be fair it was an inch in 1 corner. ;)

Wasn't that tracked down to a dodgy window seal which has now been replaced (successfully stopping water ingress, but now has a wind noise issue being looked at).
Not sure if it’s the same one ?.
This poor guy has almost 2 inches of water in his car !.
The water looks very clean, so I would suspect a sun roof issue.
Maybe one of the drain chanel pipes have not been fitted correctly ?.
Just found the video, take a look if it’s the same one @Sandy

·
Journeyman Human
455 Posts
The sunroof drain tube issue is a problem on many cars, some people won't even consider a sunroof car again after they've suffered from it. The rover 75 used to be particularly prone to it.

If you do ever suffer this horror, once sorted out, you absolutely must take out the seats and carpet and dry the car out properly. Just mopping up the wet and running a dehumidifier in the car for a day or two isn't enough, even if all seems good, you can get future mould growth issues, electrical gremlins and seam corrosion. :(

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
Not sure if it’s the same one ?.
This poor guy has almost 2 inches of water in his car !.
The water looks very clean, so I would suspect a sun roof issue.
Maybe one of the drain chanel pipes have not been fitted correctly ?.
Just found the video, take a look if it’s the same one @Sandy

Yup this one was posted on here was it not a few weeks ago, or was it on the FB group. I forget, but I don't think we ever got a reply on what was the ultimate cause.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts