Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We've had three Nissan Leafs, two rented, we bought the third outright.

I'd been toying with the idea of spending ~£20k on a newer one, the 2018on edition with the better range, but notice the Model S has dropped to around £30k for something that looks pretty decent to my untrained eye.

So, if I get a 2016 Model S (corrected!) instead of a 2019 Leaf, what are the odds I'm going to regret it? We don't do silly miles, just 12k per annum, something like that. I guess I'm fishing for the liklihood of an outrageously expensive breakdown occurence, or horrifying depreciation. Are there many convincing reasons to steer clear from a 5yr old Model S with ~70k miles?

Ta!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
You'd want an after market warranty for sure for anything in that price range as its either done massive miles or been hammered.
the facelift, ie 2017> is a better car for interiour and exterior and obviously newer bits and more battery/drivetrain warranty left.

·
Ampera Advocate
335 Posts
We've had three Nissan Leafs, two rented, we bought the third outright.

I'd been toying with the idea of spending ~£20k on a newer one, the 2018on edition with the better range, but notice the Model S has dropped to around £30k for something that looks pretty decent to my untrained eye.

So, if I get a 2016 Model 3 instead of a 2019 Leaf, what are the odds I'm going to regret it? We don't do silly miles, just 12k per annum, something like that. I guess I'm fishing for the liklihood of an outrageously expensive breakdown occurence, or horrifying depreciation. Are there many convincing reasons to steer clear from a 5yr old Model S with ~70k miles?

Ta!
You refer to a 2016 M3 but also to a £30k MS and a "5yr old MS" so I'm assuming that you're considering an MS.

The obvious thing is to get a test drive of the MS to see if you like it. I got my MS very recently and it suits my requirements because I wanted the space, the range and access to the Supercharger network. If you're only doing 12k miles, you may not need the range and as you've had 3 Leafs, you're clearly not worried about the poor state of the non-Tesla charging network. If the new Leaf, or a non-Tesla suits your lifestyle and travelling profile, then why spend more on a Tesla? However, having only just started my Tesla-owning life, I'd say that you won't regret getting one as it's like nothing else. It all comes down to personal criteria and choice; having tested the MS, you might decide that the extra £10k is worth it to you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 2016 Model 3 (there's no such thing, I know) was meant to read Model S, that was a mistake on my part. Sorry for the unnecessary confusion!

I'm just of the mindset that "you can't take it with you", and though I hate losing money on cars, I'd consider £300 or so per month in depreciation an affordable price to pay provided the other running costs are manageable.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Get a car with transferable supercharging and as much battery warranty as you can and it's probably not a bad bet and some electricity savings will offset other expenses..

The big issues like the screen are now under a recall so you should be fine with that. Even if the car has batterygate and chargegate they'll still be 170+ mile cars and 50kw+ charging and there's a lot of rumour that these issues are being reversed.

If you can get an early facelift 75 or 75D for 30k with under 100k miles then I'd be tempted to go for it in your situation. Personally I'd go for that over a 85D prefacelift even though it might cost you an extra 1-2k, but thats the devil.. for an extra 2-3k again you could get a 90D.. and few extra its a P90D... and a few extra...

If you're in no hurry sign up on here and i'll send you an email every day with cars in your bracket. I'm also about to publish an MS buyers guide to go along with the more general ones on the site.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a really useful resource you've built there. Thank you.

I'm in no hurry. I don't really need scintillating performance, the appeal is more in the luxury and elegance side of things, so an early facelift 75 willl be more than enough. If I start telling a different story in coming weeks try to dissuade me. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Get a car with transferable supercharging and as much battery warranty as you can and it's probably not a bad bet and some electricity savings will offset other expenses..

The big issues like the screen are now under a recall so you should be fine with that. Even if the car has batterygate and chargegate they'll still be 170+ mile cars and 50kw+ charging and there's a lot of rumour that these issues are being reversed.

If you can get an early facelift 75 or 75D for 30k with under 100k miles then I'd be tempted to go for it in your situation. Personally I'd go for that over a 85D prefacelift even though it might cost you an extra 1-2k, but thats the devil.. for an extra 2-3k again you could get a 90D.. and few extra its a P90D... and a few extra...

If you're in no hurry sign up on here and i'll send you an email every day with cars in your bracket. I'm also about to publish an MS buyers guide to go along with the more general ones on the site.

@Jon G :
Sounds great ... you have a fab inventory .. is there a way to filter by miles say max 70,000 miles ?
Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I gave it a few minutes.

1001 Reasons to buy your Tesla from RJ Symons. :)

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,907 Posts
Fast forward it a bit. It goes through Model differences and the issues you need to look out for.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll give it a watch when I get time.

TBH I'm presently taken by the Ioniq 5. If the contract hire deals on that are as silly cheap as they are for the regular Ioniq I think I'll likely succumb to one of those.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Richards seems to be working though my buyers guides making youtube videos of them. I like Richard so I'm cool with it

The web based version of 99% similar content is here. There are also MX and M3 versions online (Richards not yet published his M3 video yet)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Richards seems to be working though my buyers guides making youtube videos of them. I like Richard so I'm cool with it

The web based version of 99% similar content is here. There are also MX and M3 versions online (Richards not yet published his M3 video yet)

@Jon G :
I reckon u beat him to it and make a video on the M3... its just will make ur site a complete one stop easy guide to watch and learn stuff given soooo much info is scattered around and have to really hunt for ticking all the boxes

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll give it a watch when I get time.

TBH I'm presently taken by the Ioniq 5. If the contract hire deals on that are as silly cheap as they are for the regular Ioniq I think I'll likely succumb to one of those.
I think the OP has hit the nail on the head ... second hand cars with net price depreciation is the sensible way to buy and the late 2016 / early 2017 MS are the best bet compromise between tech aspects and pricing keeping the £30k target

1 - 17 of 17 Posts