Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Bmw i3s 120ah 2019
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice for new owner of i3s 120ah?
I will add its my first ev. Had hybrid before.

·
Super Moderator
11,779 Posts
When rapid charging be sure to use the CCS connector and not a Type-2 AC connector.

Both will charge the car, but the AC one is much slower. Surprisgly common error since most dealers give zero instruction on how to charge the car away from home.

The old Ecotrictiy chargers don't always work on CCS. In that case go somewhere else or charge from the type-2 until you have enough to go somewhere else.

Ecotricity / Gridserv are replacing all of the old unreliable DBT chargers. Hopefully they will all be gone by the fall.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I bought the 94ah Rex and find it a great car most of the time it only ever uses the battery but for the those long journeys I have the extra range,
Interestingly I watched a test on you tube yesterday of a 60ah Rex a 94ah Rex and a 120ah BEV they drove them until they stopped including using the Rex, the 94ah Rex has the longest range the 120 and 60ah Rex nearly tied the 120 in the end came second just and the 60ah Rex third.
What did I learn from that? I think I bought the right I3 for me, but one Rex problem might change my mind

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,131 Posts
  1. You can program the numbered buttons to be shortcuts to different screens, radio stations, contacts, destinations etc
  2. The voice control is pretty good. Try saying “online search” and then the name of the place you want to search for.
  3. For best efficiency try to coast as much as reasonably possible (coasting happens when the power meter is in the middle - when you hold the accelerator pedal at just the right point. Takes a bit of practice at first.
  4. Hidden 12v socket under the dash board.
  5. It will charge at pretty much full speed until about 85%.
  6. Front seats flip forward to make rear access easier - many seem not to realise.
  7. If it has ACC, and you are driving into the sun, be prepared for it to suddenly disengage. You’ll need to the then catch it on the accelerator otherwise you start slowing quickly due to regen.
  8. If ACC won’t engage, it’s usually due to condensation in the camera housing early in the morning - blast window heating for a bit to clear.
  9. GOM is more accurate (but still far from perfect) if you enter a sat nav destination.
  10. Frunk isn’t waterproof. Keep stuff in a bag.
  11. Use ABRP - ideally with live data via an OBD device.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I bought the 94ah Rex and find it a great car most of the time it only ever uses the battery but for the those long journeys I have the extra range,
Interestingly I watched a test on you tube yesterday of a 60ah Rex a 94ah Rex and a 120ah BEV they drove them until they stopped including using the Rex, the 94ah Rex has the longest range the 120 and 60ah Rex nearly tied the 120 in the end came second just and the 60ah Rex third.
What did I learn from that? I think I bought the right I3 for me, but one Rex problem might change my mind
I have had both the original 60ah Rex and, now, the 120ah BEV. On balance, I like the simplicity of the BEV with its heat pump: 185 miles on a Spring day is enough range for most people.

·
Super Moderator
11,779 Posts
10 -- The Frunk isn't anything proof. Mine fills up with leaves in the fall.

I have shortcut button number 1 set to cancel route guidance. I have the TPMS on shortcut 7.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,916 Posts
That's an interesting video for a number of reasons, not least the non-linear relationship of the battery only range to original battery size. Whether the battery in the 60AhREx was degraded is open to question, but there must be some significant other improvements in battery management or just plain inaccurate results.

·
Super Moderator
11,779 Posts
An i3 should be getting somewhere around four mile per kWh.

The REx cuts in around 5%, so it is not possible to run the battery to zero before the Range Extender starts.

A BEV i3 can have an optional heat pump. The Rex can not. That was a design decision BMW made before the car went into production.

Using 4m/kWh and taking away 5% from the REx cars I get:

60Ah REx 69.16 miles .91kWh kept in reserve
94Ah REx 103.36 miles 1.36kWh kept in reserve
120Ah BEV 151.6 zero reserve

Test results were 75.8/131/172.7

Assuming all three packs still deliver the advertised capacity that works out to

60Ah REx 4.34 m/kWh
94Ah REX 5.07m/kWh (25.84kWh usable before REx starts)
120Ah BEV 4.55 m/kWh

Looking at the video, the 94Ah was in the middle of the three car convoy. That might have had something to do with it. Also the actual capacity is not the advertised cap. The 94 may have had more than the advertised capacity. < shrug >

·
Registered
Bmw i3s 120ah 2019
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't want go for rex as its hybrid with make it heavier, slower, need to pay tax, and in my old Peugeot 3008 hybrid few times i had problems with transmission between engine's.
Our daily commute is around 10 miles so 120ah range is enough 😅.
We are doing longer trips twice a year but tend to stop every 2hours for small break so I think here range won't be issue as well.
Thanks for all tips. Didn't know frunk is that bad.
What worry me a bit are 2 previous owners (2year old car).

·
Super Moderator
11,779 Posts
Peugeot 3008 hybrid few times i had problems with transmission between engine's.

i3 REx is entirely different than a Peugeot hybrid. The REx motor does not have a transmission. It drives a generator that maintains the battery state of charge.

The REx does add weight and has plenty of things that can fail. Reparis can be very expensive.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you’re sat at a charger and want heat or air conditioning you need to turn on “auxiliary heating” in the menus and that will need to be done every 30mins. You can also use this when the car is unattended.

With the ignition on and despite the climate control being lit up it’ll only blow fresh air unless this is switched on. You can map it to a short cut button.

·
Registered
576 Posts
An i3 should be getting somewhere around four mile per kWh.

The REx cuts in around 5%, so it is not possible to run the battery to zero before the Range Extender starts.

A BEV i3 can have an optional heat pump. The Rex can not. That was a design decision BMW made before the car went into production.

Using 4m/kWh and taking away 5% from the REx cars I get:

60Ah REx 69.16 miles .91kWh kept in reserve
94Ah REx 103.36 miles 1.36kWh kept in reserve
120Ah BEV 151.6 zero reserve

Test results were 75.8/131/172.7

Assuming all three packs still deliver the advertised capacity that works out to

60Ah REx 4.34 m/kWh
94Ah REX 5.07m/kWh (25.84kWh usable before REx starts)
120Ah BEV 4.55 m/kWh

Looking at the video, the 94Ah was in the middle of the three car convoy. That might have had something to do with it. Also the actual capacity is not the advertised cap. The 94 may have had more than the advertised capacity. < shrug >
What makes it interesting for me, is that a cheap 2015 low mileage Rex is such a good buy at 169 miles using the Rex and my 94ah Rex will in theory get me to Scotland without charging if I have to.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Lots of interesting comments about the Rex but that’s not what the OP is interested in

I have owned my i3 120 Ahr for two and a half years and use very little of the functionality. I just get in and drive. The only thing I do every time is to select Eco Pro because it doesn’t make much difference to the heating and air con which you can always adjust manually. Sometimes I select Eco Pro Plus to switch off heating and aircon. I programmed button 1 to navigate to home address.

·
3,131 Posts
Lots of interesting comments about the Rex but that’s not what the OP is interested in
Quite! Not to mention the fact that an i3 Rex doing half of a long journey on petrol stops, effectively, being an EV at that half way point and starts being pretty much like any other fossil fuel burning car - except for the fact that most modern petrol cars will be more fuel efficient over those same miles.

·
Registered
Bmw i3s 120ah 2019
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you recommend any accessories?
We have 2 dogs (labrador and German shepard) no kids.

·
3,131 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,779 Posts
Do you recommend any accessories?
We have 2 dogs (labrador and German shepard) no kids.
We have a Labradoodle and a Great Dane. The dane rides in the back seat and the labradoodle goes in the boot.

BMW have a custom fit dog guard that I highly recommned. It is not in the accessories book but you can order one through any BMW dealer.

More here, with part number and photos.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts