Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a Hyundai Kona SE Premium on March 1st.

Anything that I should be aware of ? Any querks ?

What do members think about this car ?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hi Geoff B. Got mine on 3rd March last year. Is it your first EV? Be aware that in sport mode it accelerates like stink and can wheel spin, so nice and light with the right foot. I personally have no gripes with mine, although some people find quirks when comparing it to other cars they've driven.

I think you will get a concensus that overall, it is an awesome car.

Enjoy.:)

Alan.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,777 Posts
Hi Geoff - welcome! I’ve had mine for two weeks or so. Overall it’s great, but there are quite a few quirks that are taking me a bit of time to get used to having come from a i3 before this.
  1. You have to remember to always turn the front parking sensors on manually, unless you’ve just been in reverse.
  2. Auto-hold needs to be turned on with every start, if you want that feature. It will not remember the previous setting.
  3. There are numerous combinations of drive modes, and regen settings, auto or non-auto to play around with. It will likely take some time to find what works best for you.
  4. The car will not come to a complete stop under regen braking simply by lifting off the accelerator. It does not offer true one pedal only driving. You nearly always have to either use the left hand paddle, or the foot brake to come to a stop (unless smart cruise control is engaged).
  5. The cruise control might take some getting used to, depending on what sort of systems and controls you are already accustomed to. It uses fewer buttons than many other cars, with some downsides as a result.
  6. The BlueLink app is quite flaky - don’t be surprised if it doesn’t work one day but then is fine the next day.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Anything that I should be aware of ? Any querks ?
At first just accept all the defaults (drive mode, regen, etc) and it will drive like any decent automatic petrol car (maybe a bit smoother and quieter). So just drive it like that while you learn about all the other bits and pieces.
Then you can get nerdy :)

After 18 months I still use all the defaults for driving but we have had automatics for decades so it's natural. We also still have an ICE car, so need to swap between them quite often. Having similar throttle and brake characteristics makes that simpler. (Annoyingly the wiper stalks operate in the opposite directions - once is up, the other is down :( )

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 5 AWD
1,076 Posts
Just enjoy it and read the manuals. Personally, I have no problem with the foibles mentioned above. We all just use the car slightly differently so for example I don’t care about the front parking sensors as I come from an age when we were use to driving without them. I do not use or need auto hold as I just use the left hand paddle to stop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Geoff B. Got mine on 3rd March last year. Is it your first EV? Be aware that in sport mode it accelerates like stink and can wheel spin, so nice and light with the right foot. I personally have no gripes with mine, although some people find quirks when comparing it to other cars they've driven.

I think you will get a concensus that overall, it is an awesome car.

Enjoy.:)

Alan.
Thanks. First Electric car although I have a friend with an E Niro and another with a Tesla S.

Looking forward to it but a little concerned about finding charging points when a long way from home !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At first just accept all the defaults (drive mode, regen, etc) and it will drive like any decent automatic petrol car (maybe a bit smoother and quieter). So just drive it like that while you learn about all the other bits and pieces.
Then you can get nerdy :)

After 18 months I still use all the defaults for driving but we have had automatics for decades so it's natural. We also still have an ICE car, so need to swap between them quite often. Having similar throttle and brake characteristics makes that simpler. (Annoyingly the wiper stalks operate in the opposite directions - once is up, the other is down :( )
Also always had autos - my other car is a Juke petrol but that's in Cyprus. Could test drive this one because of Covid but I'm sure that I'll soon get used to it. Getting the green number plates as well. The manual must be huge !

·
Registered
234 Posts
A mentioned, it's a great car. It has a few quirks, which every car has some, so really nothing new.

Depending on where you are, your model might be different. In the US it doesn't come with front parking sensors do I don't have to work about it at all.

For charging, I always use the plugshare app, I hear in Europe the zapmap app seems to be popular as well. Plugshare seems to be the most comprehensive app and is very up to date.
If you need road trip planning support, abetterrouteplanner.com (including their app) is very good as well.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
but a little concerned about finding charging points when a long way from home
Yep.
Finding them isn't that hard and the numbers are increasing. But the number of EVs and PHEVs is also increasing and reliability is iffy, so finding one that is working and not 'blocked' is a game sometimes.

The manual must be huge !
It's quite large, but as with all of them these days about 50% is dire warnings about what could happen if you are exceptionally prone to being a Darwin Award entrant.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Don’t worry about finding charge points. After 40k miles we’ve barely had to because of the great range! The manuals are long and laborious - I got most of my information on here.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thanks. First Electric car although I have a friend with an E Niro and another with a Tesla S.

Looking forward to it but a little concerned about finding charging points when a long way from home !
A Better Route Planner for road trips, and Zap-Map for finding a charger wherever you happen to find yourself. Some networks need apps or cards to use them, but in Zap-Map look in filters and select "contactless payment". You can then tap your debit card and Bob's your uncle. :)

P.S. I'd avoid the Ecotricity network at the motorway services . . . they're sh*t. Also, if you do a lot of public charging it might be worth investing in a subscription to a network.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do not use 'lane keep assist' on side roads with solid white line kerb markers. The systems idea of a corner apex, is about as far removed from proper driving as possible. Other than that, very fun to drive.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 5 AWD
1,076 Posts
Do not use 'lane keep assist' on side roads with solid white line kerb markers. The systems idea of a corner apex, is about as far removed from proper driving as possible. Other than that, very fun to drive.
I have not had a problem with LKA unless there are no markers then it simply does not engage.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,906 Posts
Check the boot shuts fully

get used to all the bongs

feel smug about the range

don’t expect the handover dealer person to know how to set up BlueLink with your phone, but I did some homework beforehand using this website and we got mine working on the forecourt within 5mins.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all your replies. Will keep you updated when I get the car.
Having problems with BP Pulse (used to be call ChargeMaster). Their customer service is useless and they don't reply to my emails !
No charger fitted yet but they still have a couple of weeks or so !!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts