Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pod Point home EV charger that's pretty dumb. It has now special features other than providing a socket to plug my car into. Since purchasing it, I have seen chargers that have so many awesome and useful features. Just to mention a couple:

1. MyEnergie Zappie (ability to divert excess solar generation that would have otherwise been exported)
  2. Ohme charger (can download the pricing schedule from Octopus Agile to give the cheapest charging rate)

Are there any others on the market that are worth considering that have other "smart" features?

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Check out the Charged EV Smart+ which has those and other features.

Zappi is attractive as part of a larger install for solar / storage but there have been a number of reports of it failing to integrate successfully.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Zappi doesn't work as designed with the Tesla Model 3. The Model 3 will not allow the Zappi to wake it from sleep to charge. This is to do with Tesla not conforming with the international EVSE standard rather than a fault on myenergi's behalf.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
EV Energy and their app supports optimised charging with smart tariffs such as Go and Agile. At present it only supports the "Rolec HomeSmart EV charger" so maybe take a look at that option? You would get money for your Podpoint on ebay, so cost to change wouldn't be that expensive. Also some electric wholesalers can supply Rolec so you may find a local electrician who can do swap for you at decent cost.

www.rolecserv.com

It seems that the OHME isn't as smart as some imagine, but it works well with Octopus tariffs and is good value on deal. We considered it to replace our old Type 1 Chargemaster but the aesthetics of a commando and the unit on side of garage wasn't going to look good. In end we got a deal on (old stock) tethered WIFI Podpoint, but it doesn't have much "smart" capabilities at present. It passed the domestic aesthetics committee though ;)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Stick with the podpoint, and connect an Economy 7 timeswitch across the control lead. This gives overnight timed charge plus an optional boost. That is enough smartness for me.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Stick with a dumbcharger and add your own choice of smartswitch and App. Shelley 1 or Sonoff or your own favourite.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Model 3. The Model 3 will not allow the Zappi to wake it from sleep to charge. This is to do with Tesla not conforming with the international EVSE standard rather than a fault on myenerg
Does this same issue happen with Model S/X. I wonder why Tesla has not already fixed this. I'd imagine there's enough Model 3 owners with Zappi's to give this a voice.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Does this same issue happen with Model S/X. I wonder why Tesla has not already fixed this. I'd imagine there's enough Model 3 owners with Zappi's to give this a voice.
Only happens with model 3 and eco + mode.

info from myenergi forum...
My apologies to all for derailing this thread onto a discussion of Zappi not showing correct information about charging status when a solar DC battery is present.
To return to the original thread, I understand that the Tesla M3 is not compatible with ECO and ECO+, due to the Tesla going to sleep in these Zappi modes. So I will have to use Fast or Boost mode to get round this until Tesla start complying with the standards. Is that a fair summary?
ECO mode will work fine.
Enabling sentry mode on the car is a workaround as the car doesn’t sleep when this is on.

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Leaf Tekna
17 Posts
I have just installed a Rolec charger which works OK in “standard” on my 2017 leaf, but I cannot see the point of the ev.energy app that comes with it. My cheap rate is a 4 hour period in the night with Octopus, and my leaf can schedule this exact time period. The “smart app” doesn’t seem to have this flexibility - just charges to 100% by a certain time, which would mean using more costly power. Am I missing something?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts