Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m curious if anyone knows how to accurately measure LPG usage.
The tank in the garden has a % dial which doesn’t give very clear readings.
As an Octopus Go user I’m wondering if it might be better to use 5p rate to heat the water tank overnight instead of LPG.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have an LPG tank in my motorhome and the level gauges for these are known to be rather approximate. I think the gas/liquid interface causes measuring problems and I am not aware that anybody has come up with a cheap solution. Can you not calculate the cost based on the thermal data or calorific value for LPG (BTU/lb or whatever)? 56 MJ/kg, 95 mega joules/cu m apparently.
56 mega joules is 15.5 kW-hours.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I’m curious if anyone knows how to accurately measure LPG usage.
The tank in the garden has a % dial which doesn’t give very clear readings.
As an Octopus Go user I’m wondering if it might be better to use 5p rate to heat the water tank overnight instead of LPG.
The only accurate reading you will get is from the supply company when they refill your tank. That I guess is useless being after the fact.

As per previous reply, best to make a theoretical calc with an assumed boiler efficiency.

M guessing the electric will be cheaper.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Normally LPG is much cheaper but using off-peak electricity rate changes things. Of course, the gas efficiency of your boiler could be anywhere between 60 - 90% so you would need to do the research. Also, does it make sense to heat the tank overnight when it’s not being used? You will lose heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts