Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking for any experience of anyone making use of CCS in current UK infrastructure.

·
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the Speak EV twitter feed, you have a volunteer. :)
Thanks, I follow him so seen his info which looks good in Belfast so maybe more specifically any i3 CCS users out there made much use of any Ecotricity and CYC rapid chargers?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, used sedgemoor Services South, to test it out. Exeter services is 40 miles from me and I have used it twice, today and last Thursday Both are ecotricity, and both worked well.

·
BMW i3 Rex
241 Posts
Yes, used the Scotch Corner CCS last week - just to try it and the i3 dc. Worked well and I found the CCS plug less clumsy than the Chademo for our Leaf.

·
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, used sedgemoor Services South, to test it out. Exeter services is 40 miles from me and I have used it twice, today and last Thursday Both are ecotricity, and both worked well.
Is it straightforward or do you need to follow an order of doing things, does it charge whether car is locked or unlocked and does it stop charging if you unlock car mid charge?

Is there a charger level setting in i3 charging menu?

Thanks

·
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, used the Scotch Corner CCS last week - just to try it and the i3 dc. Worked well and I found the CCS plug less clumsy than the Chademo for our Leaf.
Same question about procedure and car menu and locking and unlocking of car effecting charging? thanks

·
BMW i3 Rex
241 Posts
The procedure is straightforward. Activate the charge point - maybe card needed maybe not - select dc if it's a dual ac/dc and plug into the car,

I don't know about locking and unlocking with CCS. I suspect that like the 22kW ac charge points unlocking - which stops the i3 charging for a while - will probably be taken as terminating the charge and the charge point will revert to idle.

AFAIK the charge level settings in the i3 only apply to the type-2 ac connection.

·
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AFAIK the charge level settings in the i3 only apply to the type-2 ac connection.
So no problem if you just want a quick top up to get home you can sit there in car unlocked for say 10-15 mins?

I borrowed a BEV recently and the AC post would not start, do you know what the level settings mean?

·
BMW i3 Rex
241 Posts
You can charge with the car locked or unlocked, but of you unlock while charging charging stops and the charge point may take that to mean the session is finished. On my home charger charging resumes when you lock the car again, but others may not.

I think the charge levels settable from the car are in this forum or in the mybmwi3 forum somewhere.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My experience of CCS is do exactly what it says on the charger and it's easy. You can lock and unlock the car without stopping the charge. At CCS points it's is in control not the car, so to stop charging you have to push the right buttons on the charger, well on ecotricity points you do. I used ecotricity CCS points. 6 times in the last 3 days every time without problems

1 - 14 of 14 Posts