Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have ordered the 13A mains to type 2 from dealer - though stock issues may delay that. Plan to get a home charger installed in the end, but having the slow lead is very handy for visiting family etc.

So question is does it come with a type 2 to type 2 lead, the local easy to get to chargers don't have tethered cables. So guessing carrying one around seems sensible

Sorry for such an easy question, but could not spot an easy answer in other posts.

Pick up next Thursday so plenty of time to source a type 2 to type 2.

Adventure on pick-up as first drive is 160 miles from dealer to home, but down motorway which seems to be a case of rock-up use contactless to pay and plug in lead. Though foresee a future of a wallet of RFID cards for different charge networks.

Thank you for reading

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,652 Posts
Yes, it comes with a 32A Type 2 charging cable.

Which motorway services were you planning on using? If you’re thinking of using the Type 2 lead supplied with the car, you’ll be potentially be in for a long wait, that’ll be a 7kW post most likely.

Find a DC Rapid charger if you need to charge up, they come with their own leads, but at 160 miles to home you shouldn’t really need to charge up at all if it’s full when you pick it up. Assuming it’s a 58kWh version that is.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it comes with a 32A Type 2 charging cable.
Thanks, good news on cable, makes the free local ones easier.

Cobham M25

Zap map app suggests tethered connections 43kwh or better.

Plan was probably stop in Cobham for loo break anyway - should have plenty to get home still from there without stopping.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Cobham M25

Plan was probably stop in Cobham for loo break anyway - should have plenty to get home still from there without stopping.
The 43Kw AC maximum capacity can only be used by Renault Zoe, I think you will only get 7 or 11KWh on AC. So make sure you use the CSS

EDIT - just checked Cobham - only 1 of the 3 Ecotricity charges has CSS @ 30p/Kwh but there are also 6 Ionity CCS only chargers @ 69p.

I think the VW website is a bit misleading - it suggests high power AC on rapids.
How charging works | Electric Car Information | Volkswagen UK

"Rapid charger
These are usually found in motorway services or on main roads. They use a high power AC or DC supply to get you charged up in minutes instead of hours. Incredibly, they’re capable of charging your electric vehicle to 80% in as little as 30 minutes. "

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
310 Posts

Cobham M25

If you’re getting a 1st Edition ID.3 you will get a special We Charge card which gives you £500 credit plus IONITY at a rate of £0.25/kWh - so you would be fine at Cobham services.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you’re getting a 1st Edition ID.3 you will get a special We Charge card which gives you £500 credit plus IONITY at a rate of £0.25/kWh - so you would be fine at Cobham services.
Yeah had seen that, but had assumed like so many freebie things it will take a few days/week before you get them or registration wanders its way through systems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a suitable granny lead for sale on here way below dealer price, VW OEM part number. Also matching type-2 cable if you fancy a spare.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
310 Posts
Yeah had seen that, but had assumed like so many freebie things it will take a few days/week before you get them or registration wanders its way through systems.
I got my card when I collected my car and it registered in the We Connect ID app straight away (which is the part that allows you to upgrade the plan to We Charge Plus that activates the credit and IONITY rate) - took me a few weeks to actually use the card though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts