Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're enjoying our e-Niro 4 (MY20). It's coming up to time to swap our other car and I wondering how similar the layout of the controls and the infotainment menu are between the e-Niro BEV and the Niro PHEV? (disregarding things pertaining the engine!).

If I wanted the controls to be very similar would I need to get a new PHEV or would a pre-owned one still be very similar?

We previously ran a Ford Kuga and a Focus which were largely identical controls and found the ability to readily swap between cars to be helpful and worth considering in our next pairing.

TIA

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't have an answer but curious as to why you'd want the phev. IMO they are a terrible compromise, might as well go full EV, no?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
354 Posts
I believe the spec, including the general layout and controls are much the same between versions of the same number, e.g. a hybrid 3 will be much the same as the electric 3. However you’ll find the hybrid terribly disappointing after the electric. It just isn’t anywhere near as good.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have a 2017 Niro PHEV and whilst there are some similarities in the switch gear and some of the basic cabin layout with the EV there are also a lot of differences, especially with the 2021 EV model. Things like foot brake on the PHEV, smaller info screen, has a gearbox which in Hybrid mode is not that good and a smaller boot (the PHEVs batteries steal boot space). I know the latest PHEV has some updates that make it a bit more similar to the EV though (there is a downloadable spec sheet for all the Niro’s on their website)

As I have said many times the PHEV is actually not that bad as long as you can charge regularly and do not do a lot of distance travelling (even then I would say on par with a diesel car). Currently with a mix of EV and Hybrid use Iam averaging over 100mpg (much better than any diesel) and for local joiurneys just using EV uses no petrol at all (funny seeing 999mpg). Unless you thrash it you will also actually get near to the 34 EV range that Kia claim.

Anyway for some the PHEV is a stepping stone to going for a full EV (Iam just doing that as moving to an E-Niro). So if anybody chooses to put their toe in the water they will soon appreciate how much nicer travelling in EV is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies - good challenge on the PHEV requirement. We've only had the BEV a month and haven't yet done a journey requiring recharging, so I guess the 'having an engine' comfort blanket still feels attractive for long journeys. I should perhaps wait until we've got the hang of long BEV journeys and then review whether a PHEV is really what we need/want.

·
Registered
267 Posts
For a long journey, you'd want to be taking a break at the point where you would be needing to charge (or overnighting).

The fact that you are prepared to do a long journey in a BEV, and it being a journey which would require charging, really leaves me very confused as to why you would even contemplate a PHEV.

The charging network is constantly improving, with additional bays being added to existing locations, which will reduce any queing.

People buy PHEV's because they can't be convinced enough to go BEV. You're already one of the converted - don't do it !!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I drive a PHEV at the moment, and I'm regularly deeply disappointed in the compromises they've made to fit in a petrol engine as well as the EV drivetrain
The EV only range is indicated at 36 miles, but is more like 30, as long as you don't drive above 30mph, and don't accelerate heavily

Once you're out of EV range, the petrol fuel economy is good, but not great - I see something in the range of 60-70 mpg regularly, although there are people with the non-plugin hybrid who see 80+ mpg

I have 18 months left on my lease, and can't wait to swap for a BEV

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't argue with so many folk - to stay within budget we've started looking at 2 year old BEV Souls.
Looks like they're Type 1 and ChaDeMo - unlike our Niro's Type 2 and CCs!
I guess an adapter sorts out Type 1/2 and the tethered Rapids usually have both (? - to be researched!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts