Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Andersen A2 allows a solar input.
As @freddym , if you take the question literally then the answer is No. If the OP meant vary the charge rate to maximise the use of Solar, then all of the above and the ChargedEV and Growatt/ProjectEV one.
Perhaps the OP will clarify the question?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Many Bannatyne based Instavolt chargers have huge solar panels on the roof, at Rotherham it must be close to 50kwh. Look at Google map satellite.
Bannatyne Health Club
Moorhead Way, Bramley, Rotherham S66 1YY
01709 531113

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Many Bannatyne based Instavolt chargers have huge solar panels on the roof, at Rotherham it must be close to 50kwh. Look at Google map satellite.
Bannatyne Health Club
Moorhead Way, Bramley, Rotherham S66 1YY
01709 531113
All grid connected

·
The essence of good design is simplicity
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As @freddym , if you take the question literally then the answer is No. If the OP meant vary the charge rate to maximise the use of Solar, then all of the above and the ChargedEV and Growatt/ProjectEV one.
Perhaps the OP will clarify the question?
Yes I mean a mains charger which is supplemented by input from solar panels (and, Ideally, a wind turbine). Electronically not very difficult or expensive to do.
A step further would be to add a solar output as well, so that the charge priority can be controlled when there isn't a car being charged. Sadly, it seems that such innovation is way beyond the imagination of modern car designers...

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Sadly, it seems that such innovation is way beyond the imagination of modern car designers...
Or it would be a further segmentation of an already minority product. What proportion of EV owners have the opportunity to charge from DC solar with the voltage conversion being controlled purely by the car from potentially a vast range of voltages?
There are DC powered Chademo charge points available but they are not cheap.

DC to DC direct solar to EV charging system CHAdeMO Tesla Fast Charger 45Kw

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
All grid connected
Be foolish not to be, a 50-100 kW charger with solar/wlnd sitting without a connection to the grid, how do you use the power when not charging, how do you get power when no sun nor wind?
Bannatyne solar is the closest power source available.

The Bannatyne Spa
Haughton Rd, Darlington DL1 1SS
01325 487488

At least acknowledge it is reasonable use of large solar power source.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I understand from your other recent thread that your enthusiastic about this concept, but i think theres a few reasons why it doesnt exist.

Any worthwhile solar install will already have a grid tie inverter. All EV's already have AC mains chargers. Thus to "charge from solar" all you need is the likes of a Zappi, where you can simply monitor grid export and adjust charge current dynamically to keep export as close to zero as possible.

What exactly would be the benefit of a "direct" approach? A slight bump in efficiency from less conversion steps? And even then, its likely not to be hugely more efficient, as any EV charger is going to need a decent amount of power electronics anyway, as you need to boost the solar output up so its above battery voltage and stable, then apply the current/voltage limiting as required. You also would need to run on the DC side, which has its own vast range of complications compared with normal AC charging. You would literally never see a return on the cost of the special charging unit, compared with using one of the existing solutions.

Solar charging is already pretty niche, many folk with solar are out all day with their car anyway, so never actually charge from it, for instance. Making it even more niche with DC level parts, just doesnt really seem to make much sense.

Essentially, its a flawed concept because will cost a huge amount to do, for very little benefit.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Doesn't a charger like the Zappi effectively do this by detecting export/import... ? I haven't got one, so I'm not sure, but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute ...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Zappi monitors the solar generation and import/ export, so I leave my car plugged in summer, it charges when the sun is out and the power is available, switches off when the clouds go by or the ASHP heats our water, can be set to use partial solar also.
No sense in isolated solar PV for charging, as when not charging the power is wasted, and no power for charging at night.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Doesn't a charger like the Zappi effectively do this by detecting export/import... ? I haven't got one, so I'm not sure, but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute ...
But there is a DC:AC conversion and voltage conversion to mains voltage that takes places between the solar panel and the charge point, and then back the other way from AC:DC and from mains voltage to battery voltage in the on-board charger. The OP likes the elegance of having no form change and only a single voltage change from solar to car battery. This can be done and would potentially be marginally more efficient, but if this on the car it further complicates an already expensive device, requires a new protocol to connect the solar panel to the car at hugely variable voltages (single panel ~ 30V, home array up to 600V, commercial ?), all for something that most users cannot take advantage of due to no solar where their vehicle is when it needs charging. Currently it is simpler and more cost-effective to just connect solar to the grid and either charge via AC or via Rapids accepting the greater inefficiencies in the rare event that they happen to be close together.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
No way do I want 400V DC floating around my solar panels, gge & Ev thank you very much! I'll stick with the tried-and-tested Solar panel to mains/grid, plus standard EVSE doing grid->EV. And I'm happy to stick an Arduino into my Viridian & do just the home energy optimisation I want. Haven't decided how to integrate the Diverter into this, as that has no signals I can use usefully. I could stick yet-another current clamp on it to see how many amps it's diverting; if >6 then I can start charging EV witout drawing leccy in from grid.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
..... which sadly still converts from DC to AC before sending AC to the vehicle. So it is really just both an inverter and an EVSE in one box.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Yes, the advantage of the 'mains' in between is that it is a standard that everyone can use.

And you know what they say: the really good thing about standards is that there are just so many to choose from.

·
Registered
452 Posts
..... which sadly still converts from DC to AC before sending AC to the vehicle. So it is really just both an inverter and an EVSE in one box.
Which probably means a failure in either side means a new one at same as new (or more) cost.

Not a pairing I would want tbh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts