Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a very long drive to go see my parents. I normally fly but given the COVID situation, I'd rather not do that before seeing my folks. I've scooted the drive using ABRP but the car also has a function to include charging stops as part of the navigation function.

It was not enabled (baffled as to why it's not on by default) on my only long drive with the car and the car's range is beyond my normal trips, including at weekends and even for my upcoming holiday drive.

Has anyone tried it ? is it worth considering using it ?

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3 (120Ah)
999 Posts
Stick with ABRP and checking those chargers against data on Zap Map to ensure they aren't faulty.

I don't have an I-Pace myself but have seen how bad the navigation is in plenty of other EVs and wouldn't really trust it to be up to date, reliable, and predict my range accurately enough in anything but a Tesla.

Give it a try for yourself if you want but only after checking for yourself with other sources so you know the back up plan in case it tries to send you to an old, abandoned charger on the very edge of your possible driving range before you run out of charge.

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course I won't throw caution to the wind and just rely on it but it's got fairly recent charging points on it (an instavolt we had to stop at on our long driven and other charging points I know about around my house) and can be configured to your preference in terms of minimum remaining charge before a juice up stop is added to your route. I am looking for something a bit integrated to the cars instruments.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Olivier,

I only got my iPace at the end of July, though I have put 1600miles on it since, including 3 quite long trips that required rapid DC charging.

I used the in-car sat Nav for general navigation but found it made some poor choices of route. I didn't use it to choose chargers for me as I had specific locations in mind, so I pre-programmed them as "favourites" along with some plan B options.

I use ZapMap and ABRP to plan long trips, though I might try letting the car plan stops, as an experiment. I don't think I'll be able to resist checking its choice on ZapMap, just to check charger is functioning...
Good luck/Bon voyage!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts