Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! Do you have frustrations as an EV user?

If so, share your frustrations by completing this quick survey about "Frustrations you have as an EV user". The answers will be used to build software that solves these frustrations.

The survey link will be posted below when we get approval to post the URL and should only take around 60 seconds to complete.

Alternatively, if you don't like filling in surveys, feel free to just brain-dump your frustrations in this thread :)

Andy

·
Registered
489 Posts
I guess you don't have access to overnight charging at home then?
Have been using BEV for last 5 years and very rarely have I felt that I need faster charging.
Or maybe you drive every day 300+ miles (of which most current EV cannot do in one go without charging).. or something else?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Need more contactless 50kw+ rapids, min 2 at each location and that are 99.99% reliable Oh, Instavolt are already doing it.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,181 Posts
There is this frustration: Getting asked to fill in surveys, like we are some sort of test monkeys for EVs.

So .. when you say 'build software', can you elaborate? The software running my Kia Soul interface is rubbish, can you fix that?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I guess you don't have access to overnight charging at home then?
Have been using BEV for last 5 years and very rarely have I felt that I need faster charging.
Or maybe you drive every day 300+ miles (of which most current EV cannot do in one go without charging).. or something else?
No, not everyday but enough times in a year to make it a real PITA, so I have an ICE car as well. I have got easy overnight charging and it works really well with my e Golf and the sort of other journeys that I do in that. In general, the split is about 50/50, although some years that can swing a lot towards the long journeys.

As an example, a fairly regular trip I do to Northumberland would demand 7 charging stops according to Zap Maps. Then when I get there, the nearest rapid charger is a 52 mile round trip.

Then there's Manchester, Shrewsbury, South Wales, Scotland, North Wales, Liverpool, France & Germany.

A longer range BEV? Sure, it makes it a little easier but I still have to get the charge back in, so pretty much the same overall charging time as my e Golf. But then again, with technology moving as fast as it does, I don't want to burn the price of a long range BEV at this time.

So, give me a lot faster charging time, I will go full BEV and maybe invest in that longer range vehicle.

·
Registered
489 Posts
No, not everyday but enough times in a year to make it a real PITA, so I have an ICE car as well. I have got easy overnight charging and it works really well with my e Golf and the sort of other journeys that I do in that. In general, the split is about 50/50, although some years that can swing a lot towards the long journeys.

As an example, a fairly regular trip I do to Northumberland would demand 7 charging stops according to Zap Maps. Then when I get there, the nearest rapid charger is a 52 mile round trip.

Then there's Manchester, Shrewsbury, South Wales, Scotland, North Wales, Liverpool, France & Germany.

A longer range BEV? Sure, it makes it a little easier but I still have to get the charge back in, so pretty much the same overall charging time as my e Golf. But then again, with technology moving as fast as it does, I don't want to burn the price of a long range BEV at this time.

So, give me a lot faster charging time, I will go full BEV and maybe invest in that longer range vehicle.
I personally would never want to drive if it will take me more than 4-5 hours to get there by car.
I have done enough long trips in a past to put me off driving long distances, maybe because I have been driving crappy cars?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Model 3 Long Range + superchargers ???
Nearly ?

It’s the starting price that’s an issue. And I have looked at this and the locations are a challenge .... at this point in time. My Northumberland trip would involve a 98 mile round trip to the nearest Tesla supercharger, for example.

I’m also reluctant to tie myself into one supplier. Never a good thing in my experience, but I do understand that others are more than happy.

My toe is very firmly in the BEV water, probably up to the knee and I am watching this space.

Horses for courses at the moment ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is this frustration: Getting asked to fill in surveys, like we are some sort of test monkeys for EVs.

So .. when you say 'build software', can you elaborate? The software running my Kia Soul interface is rubbish, can you fix that?
Sure - we're building a data analytics platform that uses data to help solve as many of these frustrations as possible, probably better than the car companies can solve themselves as we cover all manufacturers and not just one. Who knows, maybe Kia could end up using our software too?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Endless surveys from people that don't introduce themselves, but expect valuble research data from us.
Hi - i'm andy, and we are a software start-up that is using data from cars + analytics to try and solve frustrations for EV users. By sharing your frustrations, we can try and include these in our roadmap of problems to solve and maybe this will result in us helping solve your frustrations in future. Does that help?

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
data analytics platform
using our software too
But to do what?
Is it something you will offer to manufacturers to build into their cars? Will it be a retail product?
What are you thinking it will/might do?

Most of the stuff in your questionnaire is already covered by my car, so there's no point in someone else duplicating it. I know some cars are a bit rubbish at things like range prediction, but they will no doubt improve in time. And there are already tools extant that provide solutions for people that need more, like 'A better route planner'.

What do you see as your USP?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But to do what?
Is it something you will offer to manufacturers to build into their cars? Will it be a retail product?
What are you thinking it will/might do?

Most of the stuff in your questionnaire is already covered by my car, so there's no point in someone else duplicating it. I know some cars are a bit rubbish at things like range prediction, but they will no doubt improve in time. And there are already tools extant that provide solutions for people that need more, like 'A better route planner'.

What do you see as your USP?
Welcome to the world of software start-ups, where all options are on the table!

What brand/model of EV do you have, and do you use their provided app? If so, how often, and do you like using it? Would you use an alternative if it was better in every way? etc

1 - 20 of 22 Posts