Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,604 Posts
@donald - the issue is generally with the plug rather than the socket itself, and the socket is normally the victim of heat build up from the fuse holder in the plug. Hence why the issue is always with the Live pin despite the same current flowing in the Neutral line.
Yes and no, they are two aspects.

If you have good thermal conductivity between the live pin and the socket receptacle then I doubt you would have any problems. The issue is when you get two 'bads' together.

As you can't control what's in the charger plug, you have to fix the 'bad' you can fix.

So the issue might well be the plug, but the issue for 'you' is the socket, if you see what I mean.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
It may be cheaper to get an electrician to install a commando socket like one of these:

You can then get a 32A portable charger for one of these for around £330.

(other brands are available, the Ohme one is available from a generic brand company for around half this price, but you lose the app support if that's important to you.)

Or it you do the cabling yourself and get an electrician to make the final connections - the electrician may just be worried about the drilling and replastering required. The cable itself isn't terribly expensive per metre, though if any part of it goes outdoors, it will need to be outdoor rated type (armoured SWA).

(cheaper suppliers are no doubt available, and many will cut to your exact length required)

While you could probably use 2.5mm^2 armoured SWA as it is rated for around 33A it would be too close for my liking.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts