Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know PHEVs often get vilified on EV forums, but for our circumstances a PHEV would be perfect. We've already swapped my old Clio for a Zoe, but we're not quite to the point where we can comfortably replace our Qashqai+2 with a full BEV - we do a lot of long road trips, and with two young kids, extended charging stops are a no-go. And we just can't afford anything both big enough to fit the family and luggage and with fast enough charging to make long trips viable with kids. Meanwhile, when we're not traveling, my commute is 22 miles round-trip, meaning a PHEV that can do 25+ miles on electric-only mode would be perfect for me, while my wife takes over the Zoe.

We're intently curious about the Renault Kadjar PHEV coming out later this year, but we haven't seen any real details on that yet. And in the meantime, the MG HS PHEV looks like it might fit the bill rather well.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has one, and if they could offer thoughts and opinions on it as a family car? I know it has a smaller boot than the Qashqai+2 we're used to, but we don't really need the extra two seats of the Qashqai, and as long as the MG HS can fit at lest 3 big suitcases in the boot, that should be fine.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,098 Posts
Why are extended charging stops a no-go? As someone who has young kids I was used to stopping every couple of hours to 1. give the kids a break. 2. because sitting in a car seat for extended periods isn't good for muscle and bone development. and 3. they usually need a pee, food etc.

When I had ICE and 1 kid I still stopped every 2 hours, and it was usually for 1 hour at a time. So switching to Zoe wasn't such a hardship, other than stopping sooner for shorter stops, which was appreciated by my then youngest second child.

Now I've got the MG we find its perfect for most trips start to finish, 2 hours and your at your destination charging while doing what you planned in that area. If we do ever get to travel further then a 1hour stop will be typical for food/water/toilet and a play.

Suitcases are the worst for trips. Limit what you can take because they are bulky and leave you with lots of wasted space in the boot. Better getting squashy bags, like Thule Luggage bags, perfect in a roofbox but also surprisingly handy in a boot. You can pile them on top of buggies etc too. There is pictures of my Zoe packed to the gunwales with a buggy and 1 weeks worth of kit for a family of 4. You'd struggle to get 1 suitcase in with a buggy though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Possibly check out a S/H Kia Niro PHEV if money is a bit of an issue - but if you're defo buying new, the new MG Marvel pure EV hopefully coming out later this year looks like a winner, hopefully removing any fears that exist around the ZS EV.
We looked at the Niro but it is tiny - way too small to be a "family car" for us. I haven't heard of the Marvel, I look into that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why are extended charging stops a no-go? As someone who has young kids I was used to stopping every couple of hours to 1. give the kids a break. 2. because sitting in a car seat for extended periods isn't good for muscle and bone development. and 3. they usually need a pee, food etc.

When I had ICE and 1 kid I still stopped every 2 hours, and it was usually for 1 hour at a time. So switching to Zoe wasn't such a hardship, other than stopping sooner for shorter stops, which was appreciated by my then youngest second child.

Now I've got the MG we find its perfect for most trips start to finish, 2 hours and your at your destination charging while doing what you planned in that area. If we do ever get to travel further then a 1hour stop will be typical for food/water/toilet and a play.

Suitcases are the worst for trips. Limit what you can take because they are bulky and leave you with lots of wasted space in the boot. Better getting squashy bags, like Thule Luggage bags, perfect in a roofbox but also surprisingly handy in a boot. You can pile them on top of buggies etc too. There is pictures of my Zoe packed to the gunwales with a buggy and 1 weeks worth of kit for a family of 4. You'd struggle to get 1 suitcase in with a buggy though.
Thank you for the advice Sandy, but my kids don't deal well with long stops. We are very much a "get to the destination ASAP" kind of family on long trips.

And while I absolutely love my Zoe, it is not comfortable at all on long trips (as my wife tells me every time I suggest driving the Zoe instead of the Qashqai) to Yorkshire/Cornwall. The boot is generous, but with two kids (one of which needs a buggy) and a dog, it isn't that generous...

We recently planned out a trip to Whitby for when such things are allowed again, and as much as I wanted to take the Zoe, it just didn't make sense. No rapid charging anywhere near there meant I'd need to spend at least 3-4 hours on the 7 kW chargers at the local co-op, and that would mean no day trips while we were there either.

I'd absolutely go full EV if I could find something 1) the size of a Qashqai, 2) that can charge at minimum 75 kW (wife has a 30-minute limit on stops), and 3) is under £35k. Unless I'm mistaken, there is nothing out there that quite fits all three....

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'd keep a look out for VW doing deals on the ID.4 seems to tick a lot of your requirement boxes, I think it can/could be had for around £35K from Drive the deal.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd keep a look out for VW doing deals on the ID.4 seems to tick a lot of your requirement boxes, I think it can/could be had for around £35K from Drive the deal.
Oh interesting, I had no idea the ID.4 was that big... That does seem to just about fit my requirements!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,098 Posts
Next MG ZS EV will suit your needs. Its currently only lacking at your minimum speed. It will charge at up to 80kW on the right chargers but not for long, but then most EVs under £30k don't hold high charging speeds for long.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next MG ZS EV will suit your needs. Its currently only lacking at your minimum speed. It will charge at up to 80kW on the right chargers but not for long, but then most EVs under £30k don't hold high charging speeds for long.
We did look at the ZS pre-lockdown. We decided it was just a bit too small, with not quite enough range. Our litmus test is being able to drive from home (near Peterborough) to Cornwall with one single, sub-30-minute charging stop. The ZS needs two 30+ minute stops to get from our home to Newquay. Between the range and the and size, it just isn't right for us. I am liking the look of the ID.4 though.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Also the Skoda Enyaq, essentially a clone of the Id4. Nissan Ariya coming later this year very similar size too, plus the Marvel S as mentioned above. Toyota is launching a RAV 4 sized pure EV next month too, not sure when it will be available to order though.

HS, as with many PHEV’s, will need to use the engine to run the heater, so despite the short commute, you will be using petrol every day in the winter.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Also take a look at the Enyaq for similar size, specs with added Skoda practicality when that comes out. Although as with all VAG cars getting the spec you want and not paying up the wazoo in options can be a fun game.

Edit: snap @James Watson 😀

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
202 Posts
Big difference between your Qashqai and the ID4 is the interior space of the ID4 is greater as it doesn't have an engine and drivetrain, in the same way that an ID3 is much bigger inside than a Golf. But the ID4 doesn't have extra seats in the boot.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
We did look at the ZS pre-lockdown. We decided it was just a bit too small, with not quite enough range. Our litmus test is being able to drive from home (near Peterborough) to Cornwall with one single, sub-30-minute charging stop. The ZS needs two 30+ minute stops to get from our home to Newquay. Between the range and the and size, it just isn't right for us. I am liking the look of the ID.4 though.
Google says that’s 330 miles, the MG 5 perhaps? Not quite an estate but a vast boot, 200ish miles range so would do it with one stop, within budget however less than 75kw charge

·
Zoe Devotee
9,098 Posts
That's why I said the next ZS EV. ;) Marvel might be a good option for full EV, should arrive before the extended range ZS too.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Can find nothing on this Marvel, when is it out?

And why not the 5 Estate - good family car, arguably better than an SUV with the much larger boot.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
MG5 estate (it is an estate) - large boot, rapid charging and decent range (2 hrs ish on the motorway).
I could be wrong but I think an estate normally has a level floor and boot lip, the MG5 has a boot lip so technically isn’t an estate - the boot is vast however and it’s a better shape for motorway range

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can find nothing on this Marvel, when is it out?

And why not the 5 Estate - good family car, arguably better than an SUV with the much larger boot.
The wife hates Estates - as a rule she doesn't like driving "long" cars, and she prefers a higher seating position.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
The wife hates Estates - as a rule she doesn't like driving "long" cars, and she prefers a higher seating position.
The MG5 is only 4.54m long, similar to the ID4 and only 20cm longer than the ZS so its not a massive "estate"

Seating height is a personal thing, given the length is similar to other cars you're considering it might be worth a test drive to see what she thinks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts