Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here and waiting for my car to be delivered. So I'm considering different home charging units and wonder whether there is any need to install a smart home charger (as opposed to a 'dumb' one) if the e-niro has the capability to charge when energy is off-peak? I think it's called reserved charging in the e-niro manual. Would installing a smart charger just add more complexity? Or am I missing the point?

BTW, I don't have any solar panels (or likely to get any).

Thanks
Gary

Registered
If you're wall pod is brand new and you are taking the OLEV grant, then you will have no choice but to have a smart charger installed.

Registered
I like the ability to monitor the charging parameters on my Juice Box now. Then, when I'm not willing to pay for Uvo after the free trial, I will have some remote capabilities through the connected EVSE.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Registered
I just fitted a energy monitor on the charger cable. tells me what I'm using at any given time.

Registered
Hi,

I'm new here and waiting for my car to be delivered. So I'm considering different home charging units and wonder whether there is any need to install a smart home charger (as opposed to a 'dumb' one) if the e-niro has the capability to charge when energy is off-peak? I think it's called reserved charging in the e-niro manual. Would installing a smart charger just add more complexity? Or am I missing the point?

BTW, I don't have any solar panels (or likely to get any).

Thanks
Gary
Reserve Charging works fine for me 99% of the time. I set the charging parameters to off peak only 1am to 7am and set the geofence on so it only applies the reserve charging when at home.

With this set, the car commences charging immediately on type 2 units away from home (DC commences immediately anyway) and defers until 1am when on my drive.

I say 99% because for some reason I am yet to determine, very occasionally the car tries to start charging at home immediately. I鈥檓 guessing it鈥檚 either because it doesn鈥檛 recognise its location (unlikely) or it鈥檚 something to do with the order or timing of me plugging it in and locking up. Unplugging and starting again seems to resolve it.

Hoping I figure this out one day.

EDIT- should have added mine鈥檚 an 鈥榓bout as dumb as they get鈥 Rolec unit.

Registered
As someone else has said, the OLEV grant is only available for smart chargers. The reason is that once we get to high penetrations of EVs on local networks (various studies suggest its somewhere above 30%), then it could overload the feeder/transformer or result in voltage being out of spec. Simply having an off-peak tariff doesn't help if it starts t the same time for everyone - in fact, it can make it worse. So the aim would be to schedule EV charging start times remotely to avoid those problems. Ultimately that means those willing to accept scheduled charging will pay less. Personally I would go for the smart charger (with grant) but maybe just configure it as a dumb charger and use the car timer as suggested above for the time being.

Premium Member
Some of the OLEV compliant 鈥淪mart" charging points don't actually offer scheduling - My Podpoint doesn't. I am hoping they might add in future, but Zoe timer seems to work OK.

Registered
I am on octopus agile tariff and often select the half hour segments when the cost of electricity is exceptionally low (under 5p a unit) this is very easy to do with my zappi chargers app but reserved charging would not be able to a selection of 30 min slots on the same day.

Registered
People have the misunderstanding that a Smart Charger has functionality for the benefit of the user.

This is not necessarily the case. OLEVs requirements for Smart is that the charger is installed with communications via an approved protocol using GSM to an another approved back office that can monitor USAGE (Other functions possible in theory).

Registered
People have the misunderstanding that a Smart Charger has functionality for the benefit of the user.

This is not necessarily the case. OLEVs requirements for Smart is that the charger is installed with communications via an approved protocol using GSM to an another approved back office that can monitor USAGE (Other functions possible in theory).
I thought was the Smart Meter? Not the Smart Charger?

Premium Member

No that is not correct. The OLEV requirements today also require the charging to be paused or reduced when required by DNO or grid.

7.0 SMART REQUIREMENTS
  • The chargepoint must be able to receive and process information provided.
  • To react to information received, by adjusting the rate of charging or discharging.
  • To monitor and record energy consumption, and be able to transmit this.
From document below.

Registered
No current back offices have tieups with DNOs at local distribution level. This is all for the future, pure speculation.

Premium Member
No current back offices have tieups with DNOs at local distribution level. This is all for the future, pure speculation.
I accept that there isn't the infrastructure today for the DNO to achieve that, but the specifications of the smart charging points (as per document) allows in the future. It is the primary reason why smart charging points were introduced as the local supply is where the strain will be. OLEV are encouraging (but not actually mandating) the use of OCPP and details are below.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts