Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a call from my local dealer today that they have a new batch of "unheard of" deals on stock ID.3s. My e-Golf is 15 months old & only has 3300 miles due to lockdowns etc this year. He seems confident that I can have a Life for pretty much exactly the same as I'm paying now on my 0% finance for the Golf. Or, pay a little bit more for a 1st.

For those who have the ID.3 already, are there any real gotchas that say I shouldn't change over?

From a little reading on here, I know there are some issues:
  • 12v drain - Admittedly annoying if/when it happens, but seems not too widespread?
  • No Android Auto until the ME2 update? I'd likely insist that update is done before I collect, I use AA every time I get in my Golf
  • General software glitches/bugs. Hopefully somewhat fixed with ME2 update
Anything else major that I've missed?

I'm more likely to go with a 1st for the matrix lights, reversing camera and other small upgrades. I'd really miss the camera from my Golf... I'm slightly less concerned about early software issues right now, as my usage of the car will be very low for the next 3-6 moths while still working from home & I would expect the teething troubles will be dealt with by the time I start going back into the office regularly and am driving more. If I do change, this next car would be a much longer-term retention.

I don't expect I'll see a better deal on the ID.3 than a virtually no-cost swap of my current car once it's done more mileage and they are not throwing cars at people due to lack of sales during lockdowns. Seems almost like a no-brainer, but wanted to double check if I'm missing something before I go to the dealer tomorrow...

Reactions: booms

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,677 Posts
The ID.3 is the logical next car after an e-Golf, and obviously I’m biased having done the same transition myself. I’ve got the Life model rather than the 1.ST, and the only thing I’m missing from the Golf is keyless entry. The range and performance are such a huge change over the Golf.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes, keyless entry. That was one thing I really wished I'd been able to get on my Golf but I couldn't wait for a custom order so had to do without it. Another plus for the 1st then...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would just say make sure that that price they're charging you for the car overall is competitive rather than just focusing on the monthlies. You should be aiming to pay c. £25000 for a Life with steel wheels, or £29500 for a First.
They do seem crazy deals, which is why I'm swapping my Leaf for one...!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,886 Posts
Depending on your e-Golf you may miss the heat pump?

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
e-Golfer here just back from a test drive. I'm actually switching and paying less (because of the way I got my e-Golf) and bar the software issues, it's hard to think of a way it isn't an upgrade. I got a cracking deal on a 1st Edition, I was planning on waiting until the new year but money talks. I got £9k off when you count the government bit too.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Does the 1st have 100 kW charging? The Life's etc on offer now all do, 100 Kw up to 30% SOC, then drops steadily to 50 Kw at 70% SOC I think. After that 50 Kw to 80%, then it's downhill getting slower & slower to 100%. Heat pump looks to give around 8% more range in winter conditions, so in the region of 20 miles better off. I'm buying new, but getting 7500 off, which includes PicG. That's for a car already built so delivery this year. 6500 off for cars to be delivered early next year. Make sure you drive a hard deal, VW are desperate to sell as far as we can see!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I’d personally choose an eGolf over an ID3, it’s proven, reliable, and looks like a normal car.

The ID3 is too experimental IMO

Reactions: Creationblue

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour - Stonewashed Blue Metallic
45 Posts
Had a call from my local dealer today that they have a new batch of "unheard of" deals on stock ID.3s. My e-Golf is 15 months old & only has 3300 miles due to lockdowns etc this year. He seems confident that I can have a Life for pretty much exactly the same as I'm paying now on my 0% finance for the Golf. Or, pay a little bit more for a 1st.

For those who have the ID.3 already, are there any real gotchas that say I shouldn't change over?

From a little reading on here, I know there are some issues:
  • 12v drain - Admittedly annoying if/when it happens, but seems not too widespread?
  • No Android Auto until the ME2 update? I'd likely insist that update is done before I collect, I use AA every time I get in my Golf
  • General software glitches/bugs. Hopefully somewhat fixed with ME2 update
Anything else major that I've missed?

I'm more likely to go with a 1st for the matrix lights, reversing camera and other small upgrades. I'd really miss the camera from my Golf... I'm slightly less concerned about early software issues right now, as my usage of the car will be very low for the next 3-6 moths while still working from home & I would expect the teething troubles will be dealt with by the time I start going back into the office regularly and am driving more. If I do change, this next car would be a much longer-term retention.

I don't expect I'll see a better deal on the ID.3 than a virtually no-cost swap of my current car once it's done more mileage and they are not throwing cars at people due to lack of sales during lockdowns. Seems almost like a no-brainer, but wanted to double check if I'm missing something before I go to the dealer tomorrow...
I'm in the same boat as you but am making the change. I've had an E-Golf Business Edition since February. Absolutely adore it but am trading it in for and ID3 Tour in January. One benefit of the ID3 is not only that you have extra range but what that range can give you. You won't have to charge the batteries to 100% all the time like the E-Golf and so as a result they will last longer. The ID3 admittedly isn't as low down or as sleek as the Golf (I'm a 23 year old idiot so these things matter to me!!!) and the Golf feels a little more expensive inside but the ID3 has a ton of cool tech and is more spacious. I think you'll love a first edition!!!!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,633 Posts
Again, maybe biased, as I’ve just done it, but the ID.3 is a step change from an e-Golf.

I did 175 miles last night in atrocious cold, snowy and wet temps, I stopped to charge but only because I’d planned to as a rapid charging check, but it was great to not worry about range and proceed with a warm cabin at normal road speeds.

Not to say the e-Golf is bad, far from it, but the ID.3 is a better overall and more useable EV for longer trips.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depending on your e-Golf you may miss the heat pump?
My usage profile is almost all shortish trips with easy charging at each end, so my research at the time I bought my Golf led me to not pay the extra for the heat pump. Even less so for the ID.3 as the range is so much higher. The only time I struggle with range in the Golf is when I have to go to a different work office, which is 100 miles each way. That is a bit of a pain in the Golf, even in perfect summer weather. The ID.3 negates that issue completely.

Does the 1st have 100 kW charging? The Life's etc on offer now all do, 100 Kw up to 30% SOC, then drops steadily to 50 Kw at 70% SOC I think. After that 50 Kw to 80%, then it's downhill getting slower & slower to 100%. Heat pump looks to give around 8% more range in winter conditions, so in the region of 20 miles better off. I'm buying new, but getting 7500 off, which includes PicG. That's for a car already built so delivery this year. 6500 off for cars to be delivered early next year. Make sure you drive a hard deal, VW are desperate to sell as far as we can see!
For similar reasons to the above, 100 kW charging is not a concern for me either way. The dealer knows very very well that I drive a hard bargain. I spent 3 hours+ with him when I bought my Golf and drove a hard bargain for sure. We bought 2 Golfs at the same time, and may well be looking at 2 ID.3s too, so I do have a degree of leverage to use :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
The thing about glitches, is that they often go away when updates are issued, revealing entirely new and previously unknown ones in their place.
Well, it took only 2 days for mine to end up in the garage, so I would say that this is a bit extreme.
Good think I didn't part exchange my 225xe, so I still have a car to go about

·
Registered
93 Posts
Obviously you should test drive one to make sure you're happy esp. with the interior.
The only negatives I had were quite spongy brakes and some faint car sickness afterwards, likely to be regen I guess.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I did take a look at the ID.3 with a view to replacing my e-Golf.

But when I opened the door and looked inside, it looked like burglars had cleared it out and just left a couple of deck chairs to sit on.

Subjective? Of course.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,677 Posts
I did take a look at the ID.3 with a view to replacing my e-Golf.

But when I opened the door and looked inside, it looked like burglars had cleared it out and just left a couple of deck chairs to sit on.

Subjective? Of course.
It's minimalist for sure, but less so than a Tesla.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts