Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be collecting a 2012 Volt tonight, my plan is to locate a decent dealership in REDACTED to perform any recalls on the car and give it a once over as its not being bought from a main dealer. What are the recalls and updates that the car may require? I heard something about some modified wing mirrors etc?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
There's an update to the inverter software, the driving lights and the charging hatch - these came in about 3 months ago. Not sure before that, I'm sure someone older and wiser can help :)

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
In terms of recalls there are none listed for the VOLT.

Check here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

Much has been made in the USA of the fact that the VOLT is the only GM product not to have been recalled this year.

The items mentioned by Richard are updates rather than recalls. I'm not sure if the UK network will install the wind buffeting kit but it would be good to find out.

HTH

Derek

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The driving lights update IS a recall.. its an EU compliance thing..

·
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
The driving lights update IS a recall.. its an EU compliance thing..
It doesn't show on the VOSA website Mike? I've checked the Ampera and it doesn't show any recalls.

Derek

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It wasn't a safety recall which may be why it's not on the VOSA site, but the letter that we all got from Vauxhall was headed 'Non Compliance Recall'. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
It wasn't a safety recall which may be why it's not on the VOSA site, but the letter that we all got from Vauxhall was headed 'Non Compliance Recall'. :)
The shape of the Volt and Ampera lights are very different, but I would expect the software running them would be the same, so I'm not sure if this Vauxhall recall would affect Chevrolet cars or not :-/

·
1,324 Posts
Thanks Mike. I got my car at the end of March and haven't received anything from Vauxhall about these issues. I therefore hope everything was done before delivery?

My car is going into Arnold Clark in Glasgow sometime soon when a part comes into stock so I can ask them to check if the updates have been done. Is there a reference to quote for these?

Derek

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi thanks for the replies. Can any vauxhall/Chevrolet dealer perform these updates or does it have to be one of the 2 dealers in the UK?

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
The shape of the Volt and Ampera lights are very different, but I would expect the software running them would be the same, so I'm not sure if this Vauxhall recall would affect Chevrolet cars or not :-/

Are you sure they are different, I think the lights are exactly the same and only look different because of the different bumper design.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Are you sure they are different, I think the lights are exactly the same and only look different because of the different bumper design.
Ah, you're right. I did have to take a photo this morning and compare it to Ampera pictures on ilne, but, yes, the lights themselves are identical.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My car is going into Arnold Clark in Glasgow sometime soon when a part comes into stock so I can ask them to check if the updates have been done. Is there a reference to quote for these?

Derek
Yes Derek, it's campaign 14-N-010
:)

·
1,324 Posts
Thanks Mike, car is booked in for Monday so I shall ask the question when I'm there. Much appreciated.

Derek

·
1,324 Posts
Thanks again Mike. I found this online: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/330486/non-coded-action-bulletin-4.pdf

This shows that it also affected the Volt. The build date for the Ampera runs up to 11/8/2012 (Volt to 28/8/12) so I would hope my 2014 registered car is not affected. The VIN range however includes my car so I will definitely ask the question.

Whilst I got my car in March 14 I believe it to have been built in 2013. This will be a test.

@Richard Gledhill you mention inverter and charge door updates. Do you have any reference for them?

Thanks,

Derek

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Nope, sorry, they were done before I picked up the car. If you search previous threads back in March and April you might find something...

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called chevrolet REDACTED and they kindly informed me of 3 recalls. Coolant volume check, DRL lights, Power inverter.

·
1,324 Posts
I asked my dealer when the car was in on Monday and was told the lights had been done on mine.

Derek

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i just noticed the headlights were terribly out of alignment on my car and have had them done (free).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts