Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My installation date for March was cancelled by Octopus when we hit lockdown. Their installer AES has still to give me a revised date. Any other companies back to normal for installs yet?

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
107 Posts
My installation date for March was cancelled by Octopus when we hit lockdown. Their installer AES has still to give me a revised date. Any other companies back to normal for installs yet?
I've cancelled my Octopus switch because of this. They couldn't promise a date until they'd caught with the cancelled installs and the way I read the email that would be 6 months away.

There is a couple of guys on here somewhere in other threads who have had Octopus installers out already, Bulb have an announcement on their website the they have restarted in some areas.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've cancelled my Octopus switch because of this. They couldn't promise a date until they'd caught with the cancelled installs and the way I read the email that would be 6 months away.

There is a couple of guys on here somewhere in other threads who have had Octopus installers out already, Bulb have an announcement on their website the they have restarted in some areas.
I started to switch my gas to Octopus earlier this week. Ispecifically asked about the current lead time for Smart Meter installs

I received this reply from a member of the senior management

Quote: " We are only just starting to re-mobilise our engineering workforce for smart metering installs so there is quite a backlog built up from not installing the last few months. I couldn't guarantee how quickly we could get out but I would like to think it would be within 6 weeks following your transfer completion"

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
My gas meter wasn’t reading properly so I got a replacement. Mentioned SMETS2 Meters to the person who replaced it and told me to leave it with him. He was back 3 days later to replace both the gas meter he had just fitted, and my electricity meter too.

Not sure if that’s just because I got an essential appointment to start with and one thing led to another or if they are installing for everyone, but my installer definitely made it sound like business as usual. He said he’s out all day every day, and minus the face mask and keeping a distance from customers nothing seemed to have changed.

(I’m with ESB Energy right now)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here’s my response received today. Seems that there is some inconsistency...

“There are currently no plans to resume appointments until the lockdown has been fully lifted; we are hoping that this will be in the next month or so. Once we have resumed appointments we will be contacting customers directly to set up appointments; customers who had existing appointments cancelled, or who are waiting to go onto any of our smart tariffs will be prioritised during this time.
All the best,”

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Here’s my response received today. Seems that there is some inconsistency...

“There are currently no plans to resume appointments until the lockdown has been fully lifted; we are hoping that this will be in the next month or so. Once we have resumed appointments we will be contacting customers directly to set up appointments; customers who had existing appointments cancelled, or who are waiting to go onto any of our smart tariffs will be prioritised during this time.
All the best,”
I received a similar email but pointed out that it was based on very old government advice and that the current advice is that if it is possible to work normally whilst maintaining social distancing then it should be work as normal. I carefully explained that my meter box is 20 metres away from the house with an adjacent 13A socket for testing & setting up IHD and that there was no Earth bonding in my house so nothing to 'check' (and I still don't understand why they felt the need to check it at any property). Argument was accepted.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
107 Posts
I received a similar email but pointed out that it was based on very old government advice and that the current advice is that if it is possible to work normally whilst maintaining social distancing then it should be work as normal. I carefully explained that my meter box is 20 metres away from the house with an adjacent 13A socket for testing & setting up IHD and that there was no Earth bonding in my house so nothing to 'check' (and I still don't understand why they felt the need to check it at any property). Argument was accepted.
I tried that but they weren’t having it. Banging on about the engineer has to enter you house make sure stuff wirks including the electronic monitor.

Nothing I said could change their minds. I got 4 different flavours of No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can tell you for sure EDF aren't due to C-19.
I think Bulb are still installing them but not sure about timescales - Ironically though, their SMETS 2 meters don't currently work with any of their Smart tariffs 😳

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don’t know if things have changed but before lockdown we had our meters replaced a few days before Boris did the lockdown announcement. Our meters are outside the house so thought great installer can easily stay well away but for the gas meter the installer had to enter the house and view and check all gas appliances. Also needed 13 amp socket and fuse board access this however was in garage. So although I had assumed they could just stay outside swap the meters and I would never need to get near them or they touch anything didn’t work out entry to our property was required. Suspect this is why delays have taken place as new ways of working probably have to be implemented.

In some properties the installation probably means the engineer is lying on their backs accessing a meter hidden under the stairs, or in downstairs loo.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I tried that but they weren’t having it. Banging on about the engineer has to enter you house make sure stuff wirks including the electronic monitor.

Nothing I said could change their minds. I got 4 different flavours of No.
Guess I was a bit more persuasive ! :unsure:

On any 'helpdesk' (no idea why they call them that when many are staffed by people who don't want to help !) there are some people who will try & help and others who just read from a script and think it covers all situations.

A technician (I doubt they're 'real engineers' !) might want to enter the house in any of following circumstances:-
To access the meter. Mine is outdoors; so these days are most others.
To confirm that Earth bonding is working OK. I don't have any to check.
To initialise the In Home Display. I invited them to use a socket in my meter box but also provided an extension lead through my study window.
I can't think of any other reasons (wouldn't dream of suggesting they might want to case the joint on behalf of a housebreaker friend :devilish: )

·
Registered
52 Posts
Anyone know of a supplier that will replace a SMETS I with a SMETS II at all? We’ve got a (now dumb) Scottish Power SMETS I meter, currently on bulb who won’t replace it with a more up to date version.

We’d quite like to look at some of the smart tariffs in the future, but it seems a bit of a mission to get the meter replaced!

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
Anyone know of a supplier that will replace a SMETS I with a SMETS II at all? We’ve got a (now dumb) Scottish Power SMETS I meter, currently on bulb who won’t replace it with a more up to date version.

We’d quite like to look at some of the smart tariffs in the future, but it seems a bit of a mission to get the meter replaced!
As mentioned in my earlier post, ESB replaced my first generation meter with a SMETS2 without much friction at all.

·
Registered
281 Posts
From the Which site

“When the engineer arrives, they will usually do a visual inspection of your boiler and other gas appliances to check they are working properly.”

Read more: What To Expect From A Smart Meter Installation - Which? - Which?

Must be standard practice for Gas meter installation plus need an access to electricity socket to check electric is “working properly”

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
107 Posts
I can tell you for sure EDF aren't due to C-19.
I think Bulb are still installing them but not sure about timescales - Ironically though, their SMETS 2 meters don't currently work with any of their Smart tariffs 😳
Do you have any link for that Bulb issue on smart meters?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
From the Which site

“When the engineer arrives, they will usually do a visual inspection of your boiler and other gas appliances to check they are working properly.”

Read more: What To Expect From A Smart Meter Installation - Which? - Which?

Must be standard practice for Gas meter installation plus need an access to electricity socket to check electric is “working properly”
As ever, the 'explanation' assumes "everyone has a gas supply" But of course they don't ! No doubt the scripts supplied to 'helpdesk' staff make a similar assumption.

Their scripts probably go on to suggest that technician might need to enter house in certain circumstances to make various checks but, not being experienced in the field, 'helpdesk' staff tend to read this as technician must enter house to make various checks and are resolute in that belief in spite of clear explanation that it doesn't apply in all cases. If you've rung a 'helpline' , ask for a supervisor and when that doesn't work ask to speak to someone technically qualified; if enquiry is via email, resend it to company's CEO.

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Octopus will, once they get installs up and running again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts