Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
morning all I know that this had been attempted before and I am going over the same this again
but I would like some feedback/advice regarding this.
I have a new pod point fitted and it doesn't do smart charging ? (why !!!)
so I have bought a smart relay that can be set up via Alexa to have timed settings and voice control
have had it running since Monday and timing works fine along with the voice commands.
I am looking to place it on the CP line which is 12volts once this is interrupted by the unit the car will not charge
till the unit switches on.
this will allow the Dumb charger to become Smart the costly sum of £8 pounds.
has anyone tried this with success? am I looking at this to simply? have I missed something obvious?
surely it cant be that easy can it?
I await any and all input from all
thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am doing similar. Ordered a smart 32amp contactor. Should work with Google home or with its stand alone app, and should work in conjunction with EV.energy app so I can keep track of usage and cost.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,221 Posts
Sonoff inline unit? I have something similar running on my outside light. Set up for dusk till dawn times in Alexa. Would be easy to schedule it to come on and off at set times, but also voice override to turn on instantly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there will be no need to touch the mains voltage side of the unit and all the safety features on the unit will i think still be operational

·
Zoe Devotee
9,221 Posts
Sonoff would do the trick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
morning all I know that this had been attempted before and I am going over the same this again
so I have bought a smart relay that can be set up via Alexa to have timed settings and voice control
have had it running since Monday and timing works fine along with the voice commands.
I am looking to place it on the CP line which is 12volts once this is interrupted by the unit the car will not charge
has anyone tried this with success? am I looking at this to simply? have I missed something obvious?
thanks
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will do a sketch as soon as I have finished it as I am in quarantine till Monday the 9th :(
I am looking to lift 12 volts from the circuit board and use a step down to 5 volts this will run the switch assembly
everything that is to be fitted can be removed as there is no cutting or messing around with any cables except the CP cable which unclips and goes to the wireless relay unit then a jumper cable to the clip and that is it

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,252 Posts
thanks
Yes, and I was going to do precisely that some time back. Go for it.

I would not recommend putting a relay in the mains side, per the post above, unless it is power up only. The problem here is that it will be a hard switch, which may cause transient spikes if it happens to switch a large current at the AC peak. Switching the signal line is precisely how to do this, for a soft power up/down.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok going stir crazy so out to the podpoint plugged in my thingamabob and it works ? now set it to charge in two hours and again in six hours. just hope that the updates were done before we picked up the car.
if all goes well I will post on here all the details and pictures.
please note if you undertake this mod you do so at your own risk.
It cuts the low voltage side of the comms to the charger and does not need to have the mains side touched install time two mins after you have the podpoint open total cost 10 pounds including the relay unit a charger unit and the wire.
not to shabby.
I will keep you all updated :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok update charger switches on two hours 15 mins after the cable plugged in as requested now wait for four hours and hopefully it will switch on. it works on a app as well as Alexa. fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok four hours 20 mins since the last charge car has not been touched opened etc at the time set on comes the charger and the car starts to charge as it should do ? ? ? very happy now.
next test is to set to for charging at 0:30 for a night charge if this works then I think this is a success.
hope I am not tempting fate by saying that LOL
update in the morning

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
ok four hours 20 mins since the last charge car has not been touched opened etc at the time set on comes the charger and the car starts to charge as it should do ? ? ? very happy now.
next test is to set to for charging at 0:30 for a night charge if this works then I think this is a success.
hope I am not tempting fate by saying that LOL
update in the morning
If this works, there will be a LOT of very grateful owners out there !.
Good luck tonight, looking forward to hearing how it all turned out in the morning.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts