Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Is this a subtle way of announcing you have one? :)
No I am borrowing one from Chargemaster for a week from 12th July. I did not succeed in borrowing the Model S so thought I would try for the i8 for a laugh.

I assume there are modes like you get on the outlander and i3? Not that I have driven any of those.

I can honestly say that since driving the LEAF I have lost interest in ICE cars. I still have the BMW 850 but have not driven it for years. Will the i8 change all that?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
No I am borrowing one from Chargemaster for a week from 12th July. I did not succeed in borrowing the Model S so thought I would try for the i8 for a laugh.

I assume there are modes like you get on the outlander and i3? Not that I have driven any of those.
Cool - let me know how you get on. I'm borrowing it from them a couple of weeks after you so my advice is to drive it carefully!

·
Electric car news, reviews and advice
51 Posts
I wouldn't recommend wearing a short skirt!

Yes there are various driving modes.

Pure EV, press the button below the engine start button to run on pure electric mode upto 75mph, expect 15miles range.

Comfort, which mixes electric and petrol depending on your speed, but always starting in EV when power is sufficient. This is the cars default.

Eco pro dulls the throttle for the most economical use of the two power trains.

And finally, flick the gear selector to the left for sport mode where both the electric motor and petrol engine work in tandem to give you instant power and a great sound track (some of which is pumped through the speakers). The power delivery is quite aggressive.

Regen the handled by the car. The paddles on the wheel are for gears, not regen (like in an outlander - weird idea in my opinion)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks @Drive EV. Can you turn off the ICE sound from the speakers? I don't fancy ECO pro, almost never touch ECO on my LEAF and never on the e-nv200. So it has a paddle gearbox. That sounds confusing when you mix in electric.

·
Electric car news, reviews and advice
51 Posts
I don't believe so, it's only really apparent in sport mode.

It's an auto so there is no real need to use the paddles unless you want to get more involved, just select drive.

Comfort mode is perfect for most journeys and Eco pro is useful for motorway cruising to push the fuel economy up.

It's a very easy car to drive, not intimidating at all, easy to get comfortable in and surefooted as its 4wd and corners with such poise.

I look forward to hearing how you get on, enjoy it !!

·
Registered
156 Posts

I can honestly say that since driving the LEAF I have lost interest in ICE cars. I still have the BMW 850 but have not driven it for years. Will the i8 change all that?
I was to have it the week after you but can't commit so have had to decline. It seems the Model S is the most sought after even thought more points are needed for the i8

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Picked up the car yesterday. Flew into Luton so quite convenient bus to parkway train station and they pick you up from there. The car is quite baffling, I made the mistake of telling it what time I set off for work and that seems to have stopped it charging except overnight. The head-up display is great, all cars should have this. The boot is pathetic, just big enough for my carryon legal bag but not enough for a proper suitcase or golf clubs. I thought there might be a frunk but BMW do not allow you to open the bonnet so no. Also part of the supercar experience was admiring the engine but not on this. There seems to be a disappointing delay when you apply throttle if you are used to a LEAF.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,010 Posts
Don't get in it if you're fat.

It's more like falling into the car, rather than getting in. I think the intention is you just stay there for the rest of your life.

I guess it has a double-edged sociological message - you must be both rich AND fit if you own one.

Example of the issue;-

·
Registered
239 Posts
Drive it like you stole it!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The seats are not as good as in my 850. The squab in the 850 slides back and the up and down is separate. The i8 just seems to have the back and down /up and forward action.

Edit. Take that back it is the same.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Returned the car Monday. During the week I was able to use electric only most of the time. The range is about 14 miles max but as I have chargers at work and home was ok for normal use. The mpg display seemed to top out at 99.9 mpg and then on the journey back to Luton it stayed at the same for first 30 miles. Seems BMW do not believe the 120 mpg figure.
The car created interest wherever it was but I would not buy one, when do we get a BEV sports car?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts