Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I know that there are many variables in obtaining good miles/kWh e.g. terrain. temperature, driving style. I drive a daily 80 mile round trip daily commute but seem to get 3.7-3.8 miles/kWh in my new e-Niro 4. I drive at 70mph, smart cruise control, try to turn off AC, have dab radio on and turn off display where possible, ECO mode. I see posts on here with many getting 4-5 miles/kWh! How can you achieve this level?

Many thanks

·
Registered
768 Posts
Make sure your tyre pressures are right too. But doing 70mph is going to harm your efficiency so you have to expect a lower figure, especially if you aren't on flat ground all the way or have any rain, or wind against you.

Turning off the screen is taking it too far. Don't worry about small 12v power draws like that and just enjoy the car.

You can drop your speed a little if you want to get this figure up to reduce your spending on electricity, but if you aren't so bothered about that you have more than enough range to do your 80 motorway miles in a car like that.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
As @80698 - speed is your enemy. Reducing your speed from 70 to 65 would add about 6 minutes to your journey but take your economy above the 4 m/kWh threshold. Higher tyre pressures help, as does checking that your cruise control isn't causing regen - if it does turn it off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dear All,

I know that there are many variables in obtaining good miles/kWh e.g. terrain. temperature, driving style. I drive a daily 80 mile round trip daily commute but seem to get 3.7-3.8 miles/kWh in my new e-Niro 4. I drive at 70mph, smart cruise control, try to turn off AC, have dab radio on and turn off display where possible, ECO mode. I see posts on here with many getting 4-5 miles/kWh! How can you achieve this level?

Many thanks
I drove a 240 mile round trip on Sunday about half of it at around 70mph on motorways, smart cruise control, 3 adults in the car, aircon and radio on and I got 4.5 miles p/kWh for the journey. I always drive on ECO and leave regen set to auto. On some short journeys (10 miles) I can achieve around 5.5 miles p/kWh.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Slow down! I drive at 63 mph (just ahead of lorries) on motorways unless overtaking. Lifetime average is 4 miles per kWh. I use Eco+ and autoregen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Believe it or not, auto regen isn't the best tool for economy. Even with 0 set on auto there is still some regen happening. Try turning auto regen off for longer journeys (pull and hold the right paddle) set it to zero and you'll notice the car freewheels a lot better.

Regen is great to have, but it only recovers around 60% of the energy used to get you up to the speed that it burns off.

Hard acceleration and braking a lot will waste energy too. And as said above speed eats energy.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Speed is the killer if all other factors like weather and temperature are the same. Even reducing from 70 to 65 can have a large effect. And then cruise itself can also be inefficient in hilly areas as it will force a car to maintain speed up inclines for no good reason when a human foot would ease the car over the summit and then allow gravity to gain distance rather than allow cruise to retard progress.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Speed is the killer if all other factors like weather and temperature are the same. Even reducing from 70 to 65 can have a large effect. And then cruise itself can also be inefficient in hilly areas as it will force a car to maintain speed up inclines for no good reason when a human foot would ease the car over the summit and then allow gravity to gain distance rather than allow cruise to retard progress.
Depends how your cruise control works. In my old car, it was essentially a "do not let the car drop below this speed" mode - it would never brake for you, so on downhill sections no energy would be lost.

It definitely seems like playing with the regen levels will optimise efficiency; as others have said, long cruise journeys would usually benefit from zero/minimal regen, whereas in town you'd want a lot.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Agree with you on cruise. It is more efficient to keep constant throttle than constant speed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I tend to stick to around 60mph and don't accelerate hard. My average is on 4.7mi/kwh. Tend to see around 4.2 to 4.6 going to work and between 4.7 and 5.5 on the way home. (when it is warmer) I've seen it as high as 6.2. But that's driving like a vicar and getting a decent distant tow from a lorry. (not close enough that I cant see the mirrors.) 326 miles of range I've seen at 100% charge. My journeys are about 80% motorway.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Dear All,

Many thanks
You don't need to worry about AC and the screen etc. just drive slower, that's it.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,698 Posts
Dear All,

Many thanks
Doesn't seem a bad average at all if you get 'on' the fast bits at 70.

There is probably a bit more to gain either end where you are slowing/accelerating and traversing urban roads. You need to hunt for my many posts on this topic.

Follow everything I say and you will find better efficiency, without necessarily getting to your destinations any later.

But I think the answer to your question is actually not to believe people who say they get 5mi/kWh at 70mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try using lift & coast, basically lift a little on the throttle but not fully off. You should be able to coast without any re-gen which is more efficient than using regen and having to accelerate again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dear All,

Many thanks
It's the speed what does it. 3.7-3.8miles/kWh is about right for cruising at true 70mph (SCC set to 75) at this time of year (more like 3.2 in winter). Drive Mode and Regen level make no difference. Matching any given combination of rolling resistance, aerodynamic drag and height gain requires a given energy input -- add more and you'll go faster, less and you'll go slower. Lately I've been seeing 5 on local round trips of 10-30 miles, but mostly at a sedate pace (50-ish). In winter I'd be pleased to see 4 on similar trips. There is minimal gain from turning things off -- check the energy use analysis on the central display -- just enjoy the car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all for advice. You were all correct about speed. I thought that "I'm not going to drive like Miss Daisy" so I did some of the commute at 65mph then motorway at 70mph without hard acceleration and the ave miles/kWh went up to 4.1! All trial and error and not so important for the daily commute when I know can top up every day. Good to learn though for future long trips away and planning charging stops.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dear All,

I know that there are many variables in obtaining good miles/kWh e.g. terrain. temperature, driving style. I drive a daily 80 mile round trip daily commute but seem to get 3.7-3.8 miles/kWh in my new e-Niro 4. I drive at 70mph, smart cruise control, try to turn off AC, have dab radio on and turn off display where possible, ECO mode. I see posts on here with many getting 4-5 miles/kWh! How can you
Thanks to all for advice. You were all correct about speed. I thought that "I'm not going to drive like Miss Daisy" so I did some of the commute at 65mph then motorway at 70mph without hard acceleration and the ave miles/kWh went up to 4.1! All trial and error and not so important for the daily commute when I know can top up every day. Good to learn though for future long trips away and planning charging stops.
Brisk or gentle acceleration makes no difference; you've still got to add X amount of kinetic energy for a given speed. Then you get 40% rebate when you slow down. On a long trip it's important to bear in mind that en route charges will typically be 15%-75% or 20%-80%, which is only about another 150 motorway miles.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I had similar puzzles with my LEAF30. My typical economy is in the 3.0-3.2 range. Fully charged range of under 80miles on my typical commute even on the best days (which is annoying, as my commute is about 80miles round trip) and after a few posts about the issue my conclusion was anyone claiming 100+ miles from a LEAF was crawling along drafting lorries at 56mph. Its simply not possible to drive what i would consider normally (ie GPS verified 70mph whenever possible and actually using the accelleration etc) and achieve those sorts of figures.

Luckily i have workplace charging, so i just plug it in and charge it and drive the way i want to drive. In winter it can often be down in the 30% SOC range when i arrive at work. It does mean for longer trips though, i will simply revert back to the ICE because trying to do a long journey in a car that can barely acheive 60miles between stops (especially once you account for only charging to ~85% and never fully emptying the battery to keep a bit of a safetynet) is quite simply horrible.

I think actually, it only sets new owners up for disappointment when folk go around claiming these inflated range/consumption figures which are only achievable when driving extremely slowly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I wonder how many extra miles can be eeked by switching from "70 mph real" to "70 mph speedo"? I never even considered that my speedo could be so wrong until recently, so any time my cruise control was at 70 I was probably doing 67 or something. The thing is, most cars around you on the motorway will be the same, so for ease it kinda makes sense to just use the speedo gauge, particularly if range is important on your current journey.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, it might do, it is usually actually MORE efficient than accelerating slowly.
Did some actual measurements recently, by videoing the instantaneous motor power on the central display, which updates roughly once a second, so totting up the readings gives you energy consumed in kilowatt-seconds. Over a couple of gentle accelerations true 30-60mph, one over 16s and one 22s, the average was 646kWs, at average power of 34kW. Over two tests at full whack (NORMAL mode), taking 5.0/5.8s, the average was 650kWs, at average power just shy of 120kW. Probably not statistically valid but still indicative. Sure, with a petrol engine, full throttle/ max compression/ max torque will be more efficient (or rather, less inefficient) but, with the higher currents involved in an electric drive train you might expect greater losses. Must test SPORT mode....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts