Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking to buy a 2018 40KWh Leaf which will be used 5 days a week for commuting, mainly on the motorway.
I've been told to expect around 120 miles range at 70 MPH, but I know this will be temperature dependant etc. and will decrease with age.

Does anyone else have experience with a 60 mile motorway daily round trip throughout the year in the UK weather?
How does your real-life range look in cold/hot weather with A/C, heating, lights etc.?

Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, I'm looking to buy a 2018 40KWh Leaf which will be used 5 days a week for commuting, mainly on the motorway.
I've been told to expect around 120 miles range at 70 MPH, but I know this will be temperature dependant etc. and will decrease with age.

Does anyone else have experience with a 60 mile motorway daily round trip throughout the year in the UK weather?
How does your real-life range look in cold/hot weather with A/C, heating, lights etc.?

Thanks.
Hi, Yes I have a frequent 96 mile round trip prodomitely on motorway. 2019 15,000 miles Accenta
In the height of winter, good head wind, lots of rain & standing water, I had to put my economy hat on, tuck in behind a lorry. Arriving back @ cir 10% remaining.
So in all you can expect no problems at all at 60 miles.
With the amount of other motorway & A road distances I frequently travel for work, I tend to calculate 1% = 1Mile, then I've always got a safe reserve.
The GOM just creates range anxiety!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was frequently commuting to the office which is 40 miles from home and only 1.5 miles of that was non-motorway. I'd charge at work, drive home at 63 mph on the adaptive cruise control and in the morning drive back to work. I only charged at home on a few exceptions* in the deep winter when the temperature was likely to be < -5C and in those rare cases I'd top up the car with 1 hours worth of electricity on the home 7kW charger. I liked to get into a warm car, so had the thermostat set to 24C and had the car pre-heat in the mornings :D

Leaf 2.zero from new in 2018

* Since the electricity at work was free, I really didn't like charging at home as it cost me!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jez48, Victoria,

Thanks for your replies. Some good real world figures.
So even if I factor in 25-30% capacity loss in 4 or 5 years time I should still be OK if I charge everyday.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Not a LEAF40, but a useful data point nontheless...

My commute is 40miles each way. Almost all motorway, driven at 70mph on the GPS (so 77-78 on the leaf speedo) and generally like any normal ICE car, IE heating on at comfortable settings, harsh accelleration on slip roads etc etc. Mid winter in my LEAF30 i can arrive at work with 20% SOC.

My car has about 23.5 kwh usable taking into account degredation, so i'm using the best part of 19kwh to get to work on those worst days (circa 2.1mi/kwh - the dash claims more, but it lies).

I think a LEAF40 has about 36kwh usable (new), so i recon a 60mile commute would be easily doable even with a reasonable amount of degredation, and driving it as hard as described above.

Now the weather is improving, i'm arriving at work with SOC in the low 40's or high 30's

I dont however see 120miles being realistic unless you drive a lot slower, or in nice summer weather.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I dont however see 120miles being realistic unless you drive a lot slower, or in nice summer weather.
I'm pretty sure the OP meant 60 miles a day, ie. 30 miles each way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, my commute is 60 miles round trip. The 120 figure was an estimate quoted by a dealer for motorway range with maybe another 10% ish for temperature-related variation.

Thanks to everyone who has replied - all good, real data on a usage pattern that doesn't seem to get much discussion. I was wondering whether say, a three-year-old car with 20-25K on it was going to be suitable for this type of use longer term, but looks like it is and should be for a few years yet.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jez48, Victoria,

Thanks for your replies. Some good real world figures.
So even if I factor in 25-30% capacity loss in 4 or 5 years time I should still be OK if I charge everyday.
I used to have a 50 mile round trip to work and didn't have off-road parking. I would do 2 journeys (100 mile) and then do a rapid. I would usually charge to 80%. I would need to drive around 60mph to achieve this and of course winter would be more challenging. If you are charging to 100% every night - should be a breeze 😆

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was wondering whether say, a three-year-old car with 20-25K on it was going to be suitable for this type of use longer term, but looks like it is and should be for a few years yet.
@Rain, for info, my 2.zero was MOT'd in Feb this year and had done 33,130 miles :) I was clocking up 16k miles a year until the lockdown.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts