Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on 783 version and can't crack delayed charging. I see if you set your house as a charging station you get a menu for preferred charging times, but not very intuitive. Help appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I managed to get it working last night on the first attempt.
I used the 'preferred timings' towards the bottom of the location screen, rather than the more complex day and time settings at the top. I set it between 2.30 and 6.30 (for Agile) and when I went back to the main charging screen it said 'using preferred timings' or words to that effect.
The only problem I had was, when I woke in the night and thought I'd check to see if it was charging, I had reduced charging power (6mph). I managed to fix this by pulling the 'start charging' slider over in the app. First time it went up to 12mph, then 25mph. Really weird behaviour and something I'll be keeping an eye on as it's not sustainable to keep waking up to check charging speed!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I managed to get it working last night on the first attempt.
I used the 'preferred timings' towards the bottom of the location screen, rather than the more complex day and time settings at the top. I set it between 2.30 and 6.30 (for Agile) and when I went back to the main charging screen it said 'using preferred timings' or words to that effect.
The only problem I had was, when I woke in the night and thought I'd check to see if it was charging, I had reduced charging power (6mph). I managed to fix this by pulling the 'start charging' slider over in the app. First time it went up to 12mph, then 25mph. Really weird behaviour and something I'll be keeping an eye on as it's not sustainable to keep waking up to check charging speed!
Thanks, ill give it a go, I'm on octopus go and my electricity bill is going up a bit!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really struggling with this, tried it a couple of times now. Set preferred time 0:30 to 4:30 to suit octopus go and 80% maximum, first time it seemed to work although i woke at 3:00 and it hadn't started by then, although later in the morning when I woke up it was on 80%. Second time it didn't work at all, although weirdly on the smart meter something had drawn 5kw! Any help appreciated, whoever in the factory did the software needs sacking!

·
Registered
499 Posts
whoever in the factory did the software needs sacking!
I think that may be part of the problem. Perhaps they had a group of car people write the software, when it should have been a software developer...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I often find with the E-Golf that the scheduled charging works but does not get reflected back correctly in the app. Have you checked the car itself to see how much charge is being delivered overnight?

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,691 Posts
Really struggling with this, tried it a couple of times now. Set preferred time 0:30 to 4:30 to suit octopus go and 80% maximum, first time it seemed to work although i woke at 3:00 and it hadn't started by then, although later in the morning when I woke up it was on 80%. Second time it didn't work at all, although weirdly on the smart meter something had drawn 5kw! Any help appreciated, whoever in the factory did the software needs sacking!
The ID.3 scheduled charging appears to work differently from the e-Golf. I don’t have the 2.0 software so I’m making presumptions based in what other people have said.

In the e-Golf if you set the off peak charging time to 0030 to 0430 it would start charging at 0030 and stop when the battery reached the requested level. With the ID.3 it seems to predict how long it will take to charge, and aims to be at the requested capacity (say 80%) at 0430. Its not always going to get this right.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ID.3 scheduled charging appears to work differently from the e-Golf. I don’t have the 2.0 software so I’m making presumptions based in what other people have said.

In the e-Golf if you set the off peak charging time to 0030 to 0430 it would start charging at 0030 and stop when the battery reached the requested level. With the ID.3 it seems to predict how long it will take to charge, and aims to be at the requested capacity (say 80%) at 0430. Its not always going to get this right.
Yes i think this could be true, that would explain why it worked the first time. Seems a daft way to do it though, the zoe did this easily and reliably.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,851 Posts
If the off peak wasn't selected the Golf would aim to finish at the end time that was set. It got it right some times but not at others. I ended up setting it to finish about 15 minutes early but once the Zappi became reliable I switched to using the timers on there.
About a month ago I tried the timers on the Golf again for charging but couldn't get them to work properly. I only tried twice but both times it didn't do what I expected so I went back to the Zappi timer.
When I set a timer to pre heat the car it works every time, but I only do that once or twice a week.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the off peak wasn't selected the Golf would aim to finish at the end time that was set. It got it right some times but not at others. I ended up setting it to finish about 15 minutes early but once the Zappi became reliable I switched to using the timers on there.
About a month ago I tried the timers on the Golf again for charging but couldn't get them to work properly. I only tried twice but both times it didn't do what I expected so I went back to the Zappi timer.
When I set a timer to pre heat the car it works every time, but I only do that once or twice a week.
This seems to be what I'm getting, it charges really slow and doesn't reach 80% before the cut off time. Disappointing from VW.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried a few times now and it seems to charge fairly consistently, problem is, it only takes 1.5kw from charger not 7.5kw so invariably doesn't charge to required level?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I tried the timer again and had a similar issue. There's obviously an issue. Have you tried the settings at the top of the screen (day and time) instead of the time slots at the bottom? Do they work any better?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried the timer again and had a similar issue. There's obviously an issue. Have you tried the settings at the top of the screen (day and time) instead of the time slots at the bottom? Do they work any better?
No not tried them, bit of a faff but will give it a go. Didn't think I'd have delayed charging when I bought the car but frustrating that it almost works.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,851 Posts
Tried again and it worked this time.
I wonder if having the car plugged in but no power stops it preheating, either that or I hadn't set it up right the first time as I've tested it several times now and it's worked, and woken the car so it will charge at the Zappi boost times.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I set timed charging again last night and it worked fine at full speed right from the start - there's no pattern to this!
My experiments also suggest that, if plugged in, the car needs to be actively charging for pre-heating to work.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My experiments also suggest that, if plugged in, the car needs to be actively charging for pre-heating to work.
I don't use timed charging, but pre-heating works fine form me if the car is plugged in and already fully charged (or at the 80% limit set). ie, not on any kind of timers & not actively charging. It also seems to use the mains power instead of the battery, as my Pod-Point reported a 1kw drain when I pre-heated yesterday for 10 minutes when my car was already 100% charged from being plugged in overnight.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,851 Posts
I don't use timed charging, but pre-heating works fine form me if the car is plugged in and already fully charged (or at the 80% limit set). ie, not on any kind of timers & not actively charging. It also seems to use the mains power instead of the battery, as my Pod-Point reported a 1kw drain when I pre-heated yesterday for 10 minutes when my car was already 100% charged from being plugged in overnight.
Do you have a zappi/ohme/other smart charger that can be set to not supply power all the time? If not it will be different to mine as it was plugged in a zappi that might not have been supplying power when the timer started.
The ID3 can't cope with being plugged in but no power straight away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My ID4 has departure charging set for 4am but I got up this morning to it not having charged at all. I did have the supply on a timer but already disabled that as it gets upset not getting power from as soon as it's plugged in.

This isn't great as I'm specifically on a tariff that suits charging my car over night. Any ideas welcome.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts