Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Anybody on here? Seriously?

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  electricdriver 
#1 ·
Went for an extended test drive of the e-208. Brilliant little car. Very impressed (Can read my thoughts on the e-208 thread). Part of the drive was to finally test an EV with proper fast charging. My current almost 3 year old i3 only does 50kw CCS. Read about these fairly new Polar chargers just off J26, M4 South Wales (BP petrol station), so nearby.
Each charger provides 1 x CCS (on the L hand side) and 1 x Chademo on the R hand side of each station.(as you look at them in the photo)

WTF??

Now I am not sure if this e-tron driver has parked in 1 bay and used the CCS cable from the empty bay, because even I could see that these new ultrafast Polar charge cables are pretty short, and it may be that the Bay 1 charger cable was not long enough to reach the charge port on that side of the e-tron wing.
Anyway the e-tron was around around 60% charged. Checked in the petrol station shop/asked the cashiers/other customers. No sign of the driver. No note on the windscreen for contact details.I was there for around for about 10 mins.
Irritating. The little 50kwh Pug has a 100kw charge capability so only wanted to see how fast it could charge and probably only needed 10-20 mins worth, but will have to wait another day/and another test drive. Luckily I had enough charge to get back to the dealership as I had intentionally ran the Pug battery down.You get better fast charge rates that way.
Pug charge point at rear of car but passenger side, so I hope that the CCS cable could reach even if it was free! (I think it should to be honest even if it meant moving the car to its closest position possible).
Would be nice if all EVs had the charge port in the same place.

I just hope the driver did not absentmindedly park in Bay 1 and use the Bay 2 cable. Either way don't just plug in and bugger off, when you in effect taking 2 bays out of action!

MM

See less See more
#3 ·
Not me your honour. Cables are a bit short but reckon the right one would have reached. Where's the charge port on the Peugeot...?...take it the other (LH) charger wouldn't have reached?

And I leave a sign with mobile number if I need to leave car on a rapid...

#5 ·
"No" to all of the above. The cable would not have reached. As explained in the text the R hand cable was a Chademo cable and not CCS on both stations. The bay 1 L hand cable (CCS) would not have stretched all the way to the passenger rear side of the Peugeot whether I parked nose in first, or like I have in the photo. (That was what I thought I would have to do when I realised how the Audi was set up) but nothing doing.
The question is here why did the Audi driver not use the CCS in HIS/HER own bay??!. They are the ones who should have parked closer if possible! And in using the other bay cable (the only other CCS cable) why disappear and leave the car? Stopping other users from using either bay unless a Nissan leaf driver wanted to use either bay (Chademo only)

The e-tron is one of the most inefficient EVs on sale. That is just a fact.Hopefuly 2nd gen will be better/lighter. So a typical e-tron driver will have to do this quite often when out and about. Hope they can think about other EV users in the meantime.

I think the new Ionity charger bays tend to be by the side of the car but irrelevant in this case.

#9 ·
And here we have the reason why chargers on the sides don't work. If the charger cable is on the wrong side of your car you end up with this layout with one car parked in a space and using the cable off the other charger.

#12 ·
They are already overly long for charging points at the front, making them unnecessarily hard to handle. ;)
However, I agree whilst we continue with drive in rather than through bays they need to be longer. Perhaps they should have some overhead support.

#14 ·
Drive a jobbie, act like an asshole. If the charger was on the front or back an E-tron driver would probably park sideways across 3 bays. :ROFLMAO:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.