Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This seems like to place to say Hi ..

Only recently found SpeakEV but been active on the US based TMC forum for about 4 years. I'm based in Warwickshire / Northants area and have put 30,000 EV miles under my butt since 2011 when I was fortunate enough to acquire my dream car - a Tesla Roadster.

The Background bit :- A long time ago in a galaxy far far away .. I did a degree in electronics which involved loads of 4/8/16 bit micro processor system building mixed in with various engineering arts. Over the years I've had great fun inventing all manor of weird gadgets, devices and systems, as well as coding a fair amount of software.

More recently I've been prototyping consumer gadgets enabled by the energy density of lithium cells. I'm also in the throws of making a house become almost entirely off-grid for energy harvesting and storage using both solar PV and solar thermal. Aim is to reduce my annual utility bills (£3k on electrickery + £3k on heating + £5k on petrol...) to almost zero, using un-conventional ideas outside of any bureaucratic intervention and therefore costing less than 1/4th the price with a payback period of around 2yrs.

Needless to say having an EV means I'm finally off petrol for good bar the use of an old diesel estate with intergalactic mileage for lugging big stuff about !

I've owned some exotic machinery in the past, and paid the price, but as a result have many friends who have also been die hard petrolheads. However, in the past year or two many have turned from the dark side into EV drivers and seem to be loving every minute of it. In total they've bought two Leafs, one Ampera, an Outlander PHEV and a chap with a Model S on order .. all of whom need to be on here too.

Its good to find a UK based EV community forum and I look forward to some useful interaction on here :)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
@Arch welcome to the forum, interested to hear more on the energy storage project, I am also keeping my eye out as Ecotricty are working on something called blackbox which sounds similar

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome @Arch and what a great story, I realised I've not replied to your email!

I'm close, in Milton Keynes and we frequent Warwick Castle, not sure we have any other Northants members though.
Thanks :) Let me know if the organisers of the MK event are interested in what we discussed last week. Not heard back from anyone yet.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Arch welcome to the forum, interested to hear more on the energy storage project, I am also keeping my eye out as Ecotricty are working on something called blackbox which sounds similar

I don't know too much about Dales Black box, but my own device is best imagined as a 'bath tub of electricity' into which you can pour energy from multiple different sources, and out the plug hole comes energy on demand. Its scalable for both storage and plug-n-play additional generation sources even if mismatched.

Then there's the large scale thermal storage device. How many people realise that solar Thermal can be up to 75% efficient? This dwarfs solar PV at typically 15-16-17% for commercial devices of the same collector area.

But to delve into this and dozens of other areas would take me thousands of pages of thesis and R&D results and their wider application !

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
I am in Northants, though only in a lowly Leaf rather than a fancy Roadster ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, the Leaf is a lot more practical for shifting people and big things than a Roadster. We're looking into finding a used Leaf right now. There's seems to be some remarkably good value ones out there.

EDITED TO ADD - Just had phone call from a good friend over in Bedford. Seems like he bought a 2nd hand Leaf on Saturday and is over the moon with it. Not only that but I also spotted one in my own village yesterday - parked on the roadside but plugged into a 7kw wall adapter hidden behind a bush on side of the owners house.

The invasion is well under way but they move amongst us silently and few realise what's going on .. !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts