Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

3241 - 3260 of 4333 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I found this very interesting. In 70% of ICU patients tested, T-Cell count is dramatically reduced. T-Cell numbers increased back to normal range once the patient starts to recover.

·
Registered
867 Posts
There have been a few studies showing that at almost all levels within a bureaucratic system people tend to be promoted to their personal level of incompetence
I believe it's true of all organisations. It's a natural consequence. The qualification for promotion is to be good at the previous role, not the new one. Logically, most people end up one level too high - although some seem to manage to get much higher than that... ;)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
So when they rattle quickly through a bunch of numbers do you never stop to question whether the numbers actually make sense? Or are you so fast that you can instantly work out when there is something wrong with their numbers?
Or do you prefer if they don't put actual numbers in their video and sick to vague generalisations?

Do you keep stopping the video to go off and check the sources they quote and make sure that was what they actually said/wrote? Or do you just assume that as an expert they know what they're talking about?
Come on!! I am not saying that I take everything I see on YouTube as gospel. I am a bit of a snob,
and only listen to people that seem to have some credibility. Even then one comes across experts that have a big ego, or some agenda. Peer reviewed papers are still the gold standard, but not so useful outside my area of expertise, and not all are created equal. I prefer to hear experts directly, rather than, as usual, filtered by the media, or via. the PR people ( impact is all) of their institution. Unfortunately there is a tendency for expert academics to speak outside their field, for example it is quite common for some elementary errors to made by the sceptical side 'experts' on climate change. I like to think I have a good BS detector, but I am aware that it is not foolproof.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yes, but we're talking about ratios here. If the infection rate was much higher in the UK, then we'd see many more deaths and hospital admissions.

I'm sure the UK health service is able to do just as good an antibody study as the Spanish system. ;)
The numbers quoted in the UK were 17% in London and 5% elsewhere. I think this is around 7% as a national average, so actually about the same as Spain overall.

To get herd immunity, even as low as 60% infected, implies around half a million deaths. Can't see the UK Govt returning to that strategy....

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

Virgin Atlantic says the government's approach to introducing a mandatory 14 day self-isolation for travellers entering the UK will "prevent flights from resuming and there simply won’t be sufficient demand to resume passenger services before August at the earliest"

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
I believe it's true of all organisations. It's a natural consequence. The qualification for promotion is to be good at the previous role, not the new one. Logically, most people end up one level too high - although some seem to manage to get much higher than that... ;)
Actually it's much worse than that in central government. The lack of promotion prospects due to 'dead wood' means the de-motivation of able people who are not being used or empowered to act to their full potential. Selection to the Senior Civil Service looks for a certain type of person who is is a driven elitist like those already in the 'First Eleven' as their union is known. This leads to dangerous group think and the silencing of those who are not willing to fit inside the box and could offer the needed challenge to the established order. Too much job security often supports a manager turning into a bully because they are fireproof. The civil service often attracts insecure folk who need to climb the ladder of promotion to massage their damaged egos.

The Civil Service does need major overhaul because promotion tends to the reward for those who introduce change not those who complete it and deliver it. Thus with COVID-19 you are seeing systemic failure to link policy with successful execution. Those who catch a minster's ear or eye lie throu' their teeth with unrealistic delivery dates and promises often find favour. Nobody gets promoted for being the bearer of bad news or even realism despite the fact that it is the duty of the civil service is to speak truth to power. That went years ago. The nimble are covered in non-stick and always seem to move on before the 's*** hits the fan' leaving somebody else to pick up the pieces or worse the blame.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

Cummings drove 264 miles to his parents home while he was ill with suspected COVID-19.

He claims he was talking his child to his parents, two vulnerable people.

He was subsequently interviewed by the police.

Surely he must resign.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts

Cummings drove 264 miles to his parents home while he was ill with suspected COVID-19.

He claims he was talking his child to his parents, two vulnerable people.

He was subsequently interviewed by the police.

Surely he must resign.
Careful with the words. Being spoken to is not the same as being interviewed by the police.

Cummings appears to be on the ropes. His potential departure has been hastened by his own actions and the tip-off to the press from somebody who he might have annoyed. Plenty to chose from.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I think there may have been a little airborne transmission...
Depends. That is a snapshot.
Those crowds may only have gathered at the start of the race and dissipated as soon as it ended (I don't know how occupancy of those stands is allocated), in which case any given person's close proximity to an infectious one may not have been long enough to 'catch' it.
An infector could walk past 1,000 people without any of them catching it. Then talk to someone face-to-face in the toilets for 30 seconds thus 'spraying' and infecting them.
And I can't see anything to indicate what wind might have been blowing or not, so that's a big unknown.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Careful with the words. Being spoken to is not the same as being interviewed by the police.

Cummings appears to be on the ropes. His potential departure has been hastened by his own actions and the tip-off to the press from somebody who he might have annoyed. Plenty to chose from.
In making such a big deal about Ferguson the governments made a rod for its own back on this - they’re going to have to work really hard to explain why Cummings doesn’t resign over this

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
.. any given person's close proximity to an infectious one may not have been long enough to 'catch' it
What is the window of opportunity for virus particles?

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
What is the window of opportunity for virus particles?
It's not really an opportunity, it's a spectrum of times and situations in which you can receive enough virus - viral load - to become infected.

If someone coughs or 'talks' loaded droplets directly onto your face then the risk is going to be high. But the amounts being exhaled normally by an infected person's breathing only become significant if you remain in the same airspace for some time. That is what it seems the tracking apps are supposed to assess - the distance/time proximity.

From what I've seen over the last few weeks, for offices, restaurants, etc, that time is likely to be 30 minutes or more *.
Outside there are far greater dilution rates, so those times would be longer, and a moderate breeze would be even more effective. On public transport you are advised to open windows if possible - same principle. There is still a risk from droplets though, which is why we are told to keep 2m apart while conversing. (I would also try and converse across the wind rather than one party being downwind of the other.) Not talking while on public transport would probably be a good rule too.

Of course all of that can be short-circuited by physical transfer, surface-hands-face, if you aren't careful.

( * For a normal immune system. Obviously immune compromised people are at greater risk.)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
@mikegs We have been over this before and continue to disagree on the dynamics of contagion. I suspect we agree at a basic level and yet interpret the outcomes differently.

My view remains that each virion has a chance of landing on a matching receptor. From this I conclude it must be possible to become infected by a single virion in an immeasurably small moment. The likelihood of any one virion completing its journey to a fresh cell in a previously uninfected host is small, but the impact remains the same.

The image posted is used to imply exposure took place in a dispersed cloud of millions of virions. Can you cite peer reviewed evidence for why this cloud is unlikely to infect a person who first enters the cloud and then later leaves the cloud?

3241 - 3260 of 4333 Posts