Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

3281 - 3300 of 4333 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,362 Posts
There is no 'spectrum' of risk tolerance. People respond to irrational fears. e.g. they think nuclear energy is more dangerous than, say, coal, when in fact the latter is a thousand times more dangerous.

They think driving faster is more dangerous, when in fact most driving accidents happen in car parks.

They think staying at home is safe, when most accidents are at home.

·
26,362 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Back in the old days you could have married a hippy.
The list of high-flying career-conscious Hippies includes Richard Branson, Mo Mowlam, Chris Wright, etc. London's corporate battles might still be waged by people who enjoy taking time-off to explore Hippie culture 🤔

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
They think staying at home is safe, when most accidents are at home.
Is that because large numbers of people spend most of their life at home, or because a small number of homes produce high numbers of accidents?

·
26,362 Posts
Is that because large numbers of people spend most of their life at home, or because a small number of homes produce high numbers of accidents?
My thesis would be that it is because people get careless when they relax.

Often it is the 'most dangerous consequence' activities that are the safest, simply because people are on the look-out for problems. It's exactly why nuclear is safe. Cavemen were burning stuff 100,000 years ago for energy, so it seems 'familiar' today and people have accidents with fires they have made for themselves. Nuclear is 'spooky-stuff' so people shake themselves awake and pay attention.

Funnily enough, I just burned my finger on the oven. I thought it was a heater element at the back, so I put something in to dry off at 70C and assumed the bottom would not be hot, but looks like it has heaters in the sides too. If it had been an industrial scenario, using an oven for drying something would likely have a procedure and risk assessment.

·
26,362 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

The defence strikes me as self-contradicting. At no point in this crisis has HM Gov instructed British families to send their children away from London for safety.
  • March: PM Johnson urged people not to look after their grandchildren during the crisis.
  • May: Dominic Cummings seen at his parents' and sisters' homes, blaming his child.
  • May: PM Johnson backs Dominic Cummings.
There are suggestions PM Johnson knew what Dominic Cummings was doing, and to claim Dominic Cummings' actions are inline with HM Gov advice strikes me as self-contradicting with implications for Number 10.

14 day gestation means infections in a home are most likely to be staggered, meaning if one parent did transmit it to their partner, then symptoms in one are likely to be receding when symptoms emerge in the other. This explains why there has been no call from many thousands of infected households for HM Gov to provide care for children of sick parents.

Further to being at odds with scientific evidence, Dominic Cummings' explanation for needing to travel while sick strikes me as antisocial, and the PM's adamance that Dominic Cummings' actions are consistent with HM Gov advice is egotistical. Does PM Johnson require another correction by the High Court?

·
26,362 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

·
26,362 Posts
  • May: Dominic Cummings seen at his parents' and sisters' homes, blaming his child.
But we have learned something from this, which is vaguely interesting....

... he is actually someone's son!

I thought he might be devil's spawn, or such, maybe he even has a proud mother?

:devilish:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Imagine being one of the people who couldn't go to their family member's funeral while Cummings was visiting his parents.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
The baying masses are yelling that it's one rule for the elites and one rule for everyone else. But if you analyse what went on - in fact, he operated inside the very same rules that were available to everyone else if their circumstances were the same.

So what people are now doing is to confirm that the exemption rules are available for the rest of the country - but that he must be denied that same flexibility simply because he is a public figure.

A reversal of their original logic.

3281 - 3300 of 4333 Posts