Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chip evolve into a crack a few weeks back and booked in with Autoglass.

They had to order the model 3 windscreen especially, which usually takes 10 days apparently.

14 days in I receive a text from Autoglass saying there is a shortage of Tesla windscreens and they'll be in contact when they have an update.

I spoke to the Tesla bodyshop in Dartford who confirmed this was the case.

Still waiting for an update, so just wondered if anyone else is in the same situation?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yup, me too.
It will be five weeks on Saturday since my screen got busted by a bird strike and will be five weeks on Sunday since Autoglass ordered a replacement screen.
There's too much damage to drive so its sat on my driveway until Autoglass get a screen and can book a fitting with camera calibration.
Although the damaged crazed screen looks bad its still waterproof thank goodness.
Hate to think how to protect it if it leaks in this bad weather coming up as I have no cover for it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Five weeks and one day later another text message from Autoglass :

"We're still unable to book an appointment for your windscreen due to the shortage of Tesla glass.
We appreciate your patience and will keep you updated.
Autoglass.
"
Got same text. We are lucky as can still drive ours, but still frustrating. As I said in an earlier post, Tesla reckoned shipment mid march.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got same text. We are lucky as can still drive ours, but still frustrating. As I said in an earlier post, Tesla reckoned shipment mid march.
Wow, mid March eh.
I've not chased Tesla so have had no notion of potential delivery dates from Autoglass.
Thanks for that crumb of information.
That will be 8 to 9 weeks waiting for the screen to turn up for me.

Due to lack of transport to my other house I've had to cancel two charge point installation appointments and there are no more appointments available before the March 31st OZEV grant cutoff.
When I can get the installation done, in April or beyond, it will instantly cost an extra £350 :(
Bummer!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, mid March eh.
I've not chased Tesla so have had no notion of potential delivery dates from Autoglass.
Thanks for that crumb of information.
That will be 8 to 9 weeks waiting for the screen to turn up for me.

Due to lack of transport to my other house I've had to cancel two charge point installation appointments and there are no more appointments available before the March 31st OZEV grant cutoff.
When I can get the installation done, in April or beyond, it will instantly cost an extra £350 :(
Bummer!
Apparently so. The bodyshop in Dartford said there were some in the country but they had already been allocated, but they were expecting a big shipment in mid March. I hope they're right!

That's a real shame about your charger installation - is there nobody that can get the keys from you or even drive you there?.

But yep, us installers are pretty stacked out right now!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Apparently so. The bodyshop in Dartford said there were some in the country but they had already been allocated, but they were expecting a big shipment in mid March. I hope they're right!

That's a real shame about your charger installation - is there nobody that can get the keys from you or even drive you there?.

But yep, us installers are pretty stacked out right now!
Nope, I have no local friends that would drive the 150-mile round trip - from Southampton to Hayes, west London.
Don't fancy public transport with umpteen changes (bus/rail/underground/bus/hike) with bonus Covid opportunities.
Oddly I might not have got a busted screen if I hadn't driven up the week before the original January installation date to make preparations!
I already have a boxed Ohme Pro charge point unit sent to me as part of a pre-Xmas Octopus offer - just need it fitted by Octopus affiliates.
Talk about bad timing eh?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nope, I have no local friends that would drive the 150-mile round trip - from Southampton to Hayes, west London.
Don't fancy public transport with umpteen changes (bus/rail/underground/bus/hike) with bonus Covid opportunities.
Oddly I might not have got a busted screen if I hadn't driven up the week before the original January installation date to make preparations!
I already have a boxed Ohme Pro charge point unit sent to me as part of a pre-Xmas Octopus offer - just need it fitted by Octopus affiliates.
Talk about bad timing eh?
Rental car is surely the solution if you need a car and yours is out of action?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rental car is surely the solution if you need a car and yours is out of action?
Gets expensive fast if insurance isn't paying for it :(
Cheapest solution is to (mostly) hibernate until its fixed.

Enterprise advertised on TV that they deliver to and collect loan cars from customers homes - but not my local branch :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Update on my charge point installation - my installer has provided a rescheduled installation date of 31st March :)
Assuming Tesla do manage to supply windscreens in mid-March and if Autoglass get a wiggle-on then, fingers crossed, I'll still be good for the OZEV grant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well you'd think that was a good idea...

View attachment 157673

But I'm gonna need a bigger roll :(
I'm really sorry to see this - mine pales into insignificance compared with yours. But sad to say I've got the same problem, and with the same dealership - albeit through Zenith. I've been told "no ETA at all" by Tesla, so while I do hope you're successful in March, I'd not hold your breath. Shambles really isn't it. No Tesla windscreens anywhere in the UK?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you do have luck - please do let me know so I can get straight on the phone. I'm pinging them once a day and making myself a thorough nuisance! Will of course do the same in return.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue, I've been waiting for about 2 months (I think) I have 2 cracks from the right and top that are getting closer to each other every day 😅. I actually rang Tesla and they didn't think there was a shortage on glass, so who knows

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well 7 weeks since I started with Autoglass and I received their now standard weekly "no appointment because no glass" text message on my phone.

On the other hand my M3LR is getting the hang of sleeping properly now - 4 days and 12 hours since it was last awakened for a software update.
It has also been 1 month and 8 days since I charged it to 90% then unplugged it - it has only lost 6% battery so far (according to TeslaFi)

1 - 20 of 90 Posts