Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't have exact figures but Churchill will only charge you the £75 excess if you use their 'preferred' Autoglass.
I think they'll pay a max of £120 towards n.e.other glass installation.
Last I heard was Tesla screens are £900 a pop (plus fitting?)
But I also heard Tesla Service Centre's don't have any glass either?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m waiting for Autoglass too. I initially booked my appointment for 28th December. They cancelled and rebooked to have calibrating done at same time Went week later as booked and told not ordered screen!
Last text from them Monday saying still no none available! 😡

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I spoke to Autoglass today. Still no stock apparently.

I might try contacting Tesla again to see if there's an update their side. As I mentioned earlier, the Tesla centre at Dartford told me mid March for a shipment but I've no idea how accurate that is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just had my weekly "Sorry no glass" message from AutoGlass - its getting boring and very annoying now!
So, beginning week 9 of "off the road" existence :(

On a positive note after 1 month and 16 days parked unplugged its only dropped to 83% (from 90%)
Longest recorded sleep has been 30 minutes short of 10 days.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Anyone any joy yet? - I’m fortunate that the windscreen isn’t shattered and can still drive but considering first booked in on the 28th of December!?!
Nope :(

Autoglass' usual Monday 'sorry no glass' message didn't happen this week prompting someone else to try to book a fitting but it got cancelled because they still have no glass.
I finally got this weeks Autoglass' no glass message today instead.

Over nine weeks waiting for me but can't drive mine until the screen is replaced :(

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,744 Posts
Looks like Tesla have been taking logistics advice from the Russian Army…

Is nobody making 3rd party windscreens for Tesla‘s yet? I’d have thought there are sufficient numbers out there now to make it a viable market.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Getting increasingly frustrated with this and my car is still driveable really.

I'm at the point now where I will be complaining to Tesla and also my finance company, as it isn't an acceptable level of service.

Assuming Autoglass is doing all it can, Tesla bears a lot of responsibility here to ensure adequate supply of replacement parts.

It seems Model Ys and 3s are rolling off the line with windscreens just fine, so there can't be a shortage. This is about allocation of where that stock goes.

I would highly recommend others also complain to Tesla and their finance companies if on finance to get some attention on this issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts

I'm at the point now where I will be complaining to Tesla and also my finance company, as it isn't an acceptable level of service.

Assuming Autoglass is doing all it can, Tesla bears a lot of responsibility here to ensure adequate supply of replacement parts.

It seems Model Ys and 3s are rolling off the line with windscreens just fine, so there can't be a shortage. This is about allocation of where that stock goes.

I would highly recommend others also complain to Tesla and their finance companies if on finance to get some attention on this issue.
I agree with your assessment however I don't think I'm far enough up "the food chain" to be able to shout at Tesla with any chance of being heard.
My beef is with Autoglass directly even though clearly their hands are tied right now. Autoglass have a beef with Tesla (if that's where they are getting them from).
Tesla have "form" on parts shortages, you hear complaints from lots of folks needing parts but Service Centres unable to get stuff to do a repair for overly long time.
Someone with clout needs to bend Elon's ear on Twitter et al perhaps?

Into my 10th week now with an undriveable car, Autoglass are slacking sending "Monday" messages - last weeks "no glass" came on Wednesday, this weeks "no glsss" came today.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

Can they not find a good rear ended Model 3 write off? buy the windscreen from it , remove it, clean it up and fit it to yours? Mind you knowing Tesla the front screen vision cameras are VIN matched and wont work in your model 3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to read everyone is having issues, if it helps give everyone a laugh I think I may be an unlucky one.

I picked my Model 3 today at 4:30 at Bluewater, checked the car over but lighting was not great to be honest. By 7:30 a crack appeared on the windscreen (about 15cm driver side and driver eye line), nothing has hit the windscreen, as soon as I parked up I noticed the windscreen drivers side has loads of little chips in the frame. I’m not going to lie I am fuming right now!

Called autoglass before finding this thread - they said it will take months to get replaced! The car is drivable but considering I’ve had the car 3 hours I’m not in the best of koods

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm about to tick over into 4th month of Autoglass weekly unhelpful SMS's. (although until a few weeks ago i had to email each week to get fobbed off, obv why they introduced the automated sms, to stop us complaining). One of the luckier ones in that i can drive it, but always running the risk of getting stopped for illegal car, and prob invalidates the insurance, but what else are we supposed to do. Its ridiculous. Whilst we each have an insignificant voice, You'd have thought Autoglass were capable of asking Tesla at least for some kind of update or ETA. As its glass, not microchips, and i've not heard of any glass shortages. Are Tesla really just so unbothered once you've paid for the car.
I was an absolute Tesla convert, not put off quite yet, but won't be long if the crack expands any further

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,744 Posts
Again, why aren’t third parties making Tesla windscreens yet?

Tesla don’t mould and fabricate their own windscreens I’m sure, so who is the OEM supplier?

Perhaps they’re prioritising supply to the factories, but it has always been a worry in the back of my mind that parts supply somewhere down the line might be problematic.

Cars break windscreens all the time, it’s almost a consumable item.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'm about to tick over into 4th month of Autoglass weekly unhelpful SMS's. (although until a few weeks ago i had to email each week to get fobbed off, obv why they introduced the automated sms, to stop us complaining). One of the luckier ones in that i can drive it, but always running the risk of getting stopped for illegal car, and prob invalidates the insurance, but what else are we supposed to do. Its ridiculous. Whilst we each have an insignificant voice, You'd have thought Autoglass were capable of asking Tesla at least for some kind of update or ETA. As its glass, not microchips, and i've not heard of any glass shortages. Are Tesla really just so unbothered once you've paid for the car.
I was an absolute Tesla convert, not put off quite yet, but won't be long if the crack expands any further
Exactly. New cars rolling off line with windscreens so no shortage. Just allocation.

I think what I'm most annoyed about, as others have pointed out, is just how helpless I feel.

Same answer from Autoglass each time and it doesn't feel like a priority.

Finance company is an option, as I feel like I'm paying full price for not a full product or acceptable level of service. But ultimately, I think they will say it isn't their problem.

And Tesla are arguably the worst of the bunch. Just an apparent lack of interest and very few ways to get in touch properly. I loved the ordering process and pick up originally but a downside is I feel I can't get in touch with my "dealer".

At least with my Leaf I can contact the dealership worst case scenario who would hopefully do something.

It shouldn't be this difficult.

·
Registered
Tesla MY LR 2022
616 Posts
We had a chip in the screen of our 2021 SR+ a couple of weeks ago. National Windscreens came to see if they could do anything with it and said no, it needed replacing. They tried to source an original Tesla screen and came back with warnings of long delays, but that they could fit a 3rd party screen within days. It was fitted in Reading last week and looks fine, I would not know the difference. Cameras and wipers both work. About 3 weeks from damage to repair.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We had a chip in the screen of our 2021 SR+ a couple of weeks ago. National Windscreens came to see if they could do anything with it and said no, it needed replacing. They tried to source an original Tesla screen and came back with warnings of long delays, but that they could fit a 3rd party screen within days. It was fitted in Reading last week and looks fine, I would not know the difference. Cameras and wipers both work. About 3 weeks from damage to repair.
Was this covered by your insurance? - only needing to pay the excess.
Have you any idea of the 'real cost' of the third party screen?

·
Registered
Tesla MY LR 2022
616 Posts
Was this covered by your insurance? - only needing to pay the excess.
Have you any idea of the 'real cost' of the third party screen?
Good questions but I can't answer them as it is a lease car. I do know the lease company were relaxed about the 3rd party screen, though gave us the option to wait for an original if we preferred.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My windscreen failed Xmas day. Reported it Boxing Day. Fitted by national windscreens 3rd March.

sadly new one chipped last night on drivers view. Already cracking.
Couple of questions:
  • Do model 3 windscreens fail more than other cars?
  • Anyone had a repair approved and carried out successfully?

21 - 40 of 87 Posts