Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
My windscreen failed Xmas day. Reported it Boxing Day. Fitted by national windscreens 3rd March.

sadly new one chipped last night on drivers view. Already cracking.
Couple of questions:
  • Do model 3 windscreens fail more than other cars?
  • Anyone had a repair approved and carried out successfully?
Consider yourself very lucky to have had a replacement so "quickly". Most of us having been waiting months for Autoglass/Tesla to do something. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just have an update on my Tesla M3 after getting a crack in it within 3 hours of pick up - called Tesla last week and booked an appointment.
Support said that windscreen stock is now coming into port and should be available at some service centres in a few days. I have an appointment at Tesla Crawley (would rather be closer to home but just want it fixed and support have said that the screen has been put on order for me and is tracked as shipped) next week so hoping that the stock will be delivered and my screen gets replaced.
May be worth reaching back out to Tesla if you can and seeing what’s available!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Just have an update on my Tesla M3 after getting a crack in it within 3 hours of pick up - called Tesla last week and booked an appointment.
Support said that windscreen stock is now coming into port and should be available at some service centres in a few days. I have an appointment at Tesla Crawley (would rather be closer to home but just want it fixed and support have said that the screen has been put on order for me and is tracked as shipped) next week so hoping that the stock will be delivered and my screen gets replaced.
May be worth reaching back out to Tesla if you can and seeing what’s available!
It's an option, but most of us are going through insurance which usually has Autoglass as its preferred supplier. The issue isn't and hasn't been a "shortage" in my view, but an issue with allocation.

There are windscreens about, but they've been allocated for new vehicles and/or Autoglass hasn't been able to get them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the usual Autoglass text message "no glass today" this morning so looks like they still haven't got any stock in.

I ventured a few miles out to the local Aldi this afternoon in spite of the busted screen, leaning over to the passenger side to peer past the cracks.
In spite of being parked and untouched for 12 weeks there was no (parking) brake binding - nice not to need to "rev the engine" to get the cobwebs out :)

Having driven a rented Kia E-Niro for a few days at the back-end of March it was a real pleasure to get back into my M3 today.

Sure wish I could drive it safely again "with gusto" ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had this replaced with Autoglass yet? My car is now off the road and I’m a little worried about how long it will take. Technically I don’t even think I’m legally allowed to drive to autoglass.
Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm hearing stories on TMC about Autoglass now being asked for more recent M3 windscreen type replacements with the extra lower windscreen wiper "parking" heater zone ... and not having any in stock. My M3 is 'vintage' 2020 without that extra heated part. I hope that's not holding up my replacement - I've been waiting over 13 weeks now :(

I did email Tesla on the off-chance I might get a replacement from them but they ignored me - bit reluctant to log it as a "glass fault" via the App and then have to fork out £999-ish if an Autoglass replacement is possible but everyone's keeping silent! Not had any Autoglass text message either this week yet.

Some have claimed that due to Autoglass delays their insurer may accept the Tesla cost and only charge a £200 excess - do Tesla have any glass in stock yet?

Due to the extent of the damage my car is unsafe to drive far - I've driven 3-mile round trip to my local Aldi for essential food supplies, a 4-mile trip to the nearest Autoglass might be just about doable but an 18-mile trip to Winchester Service Centre would be difficult and any trip would be impossible if its raining (no wipers!!)

What the heck are we supposed to do?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you all still waiting? Autoglass tried to repair a chip in mine 20th April (model 3) but turned into a big crack. They have no replacements and can give no date when there might be one...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are you all still waiting? Autoglass tried to repair a chip in mine 20th April (model 3) but turned into a big crack. They have no replacements and can give no date when there might be one...
Me? Yup, still waiting (14 weeks and counting :( ) and, for a surprise this week, Autoglass have sent their "no glass today" missive today - recently their texts have been creeping towards the end of the week before they sent them out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The windscreen on my hubby's Model 3 cracked about a month ago and he had the same "no glass" emails from Autoglass as everyone else. The local Tesla repair shop in Newcastle said they'd call around other Tesla locations to find a windscreen, which they did within a couple of days. Hubby then spoke (nicely) to his insurance company, explaining their supplier (Autoglass) couldn't provide the service he needed but Tesla could, so they should cover him to use Tesla. He also mentioned that losing the use of his car for a number of weeks waiting for Autoglass would be a big factor when it came to deciding who to go with when his insurance next came up for renewal. The insurance company agreed, and he sent them the bill from Tesla which they paid within two days, less the same excess he would have paid going through Autoglass. Car fixed in about a week - job done.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The windscreen on my hubby's Model 3 cracked about a month ago and he had the same "no glass" emails from Autoglass as everyone else. The local Tesla repair shop in Newcastle said they'd call around other Tesla locations to find a windscreen, which they did within a couple of days. Hubby then spoke (nicely) to his insurance company, explaining their supplier (Autoglass) couldn't provide the service he needed but Tesla could, so they should cover him to use Tesla. He also mentioned that losing the use of his car for a number of weeks waiting for Autoglass would be a big factor when it came to deciding who to go with when his insurance next came up for renewal. The insurance company agreed, and he sent them the bill from Tesla which they paid within two days, less the same excess he would have paid going through Autoglass. Car fixed in about a week - job done.
Direct Line ? As they are one the most competitive Tesla insurers. Both of ours are with D/L. Couldn't find cheaper.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,744 Posts
That would be my 2nd guess, DL and LV seem to be the Tesla big boys. Whats the compulsory excess on LV?, on DL it's£250, every other insurer was £500.
It‘s not just Tesla, LV are chasing the EV insurance market big time.

Good customer service as well, better than my experience with direct line who were total garbage with a claim a few years back.

The excess is less important for me than the premium itself and the customer service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Me? Yup, still waiting (14 weeks and counting :( ) and, for a surprise this week, Autoglass have sent their "no glass today" missive today - recently their texts have been creeping towards the end of the week before they sent them out.
Curious how many are still waiting. My windscreen broke on 14th April and I am getting it changed tomorrow at Tesla Manchester. The technician there has told me they have planty of stoick available to 3rd parties so Autoglasss could have sourced the glass there. The problem is that Tesla take 5-6 hours to change a windscreen, compared to the 1 - 1.5hrs Autoglass take and they are a 5 hour round trip instead of 1 hour.

Assuming it goes well tomorrow turnaround will have been 23 days.

For anyone with Direct Line I can cofirm if you tell them Autoglass cant get stock they wioll authorise Telsa or presumably other suppliers to do the replacement.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Curious how many are still waiting. My windscreen broke on 14th April and I am getting it changed tomorrow at Tesla Manchester. The technician there has told me they have planty of stoick available to 3rd parties so Autoglasss could have sourced the glass there. The problem is that Tesla take 5-6 hours to change a windscreen, compared to the 1 - 1.5hrs Autoglass take and they are a 5 hour round trip instead of 1 hour.

Assuming it goes well tomorrow turnaround will have been 23 days.

For anyone with Direct Line I can cofirm if you tell them Autoglass cant get stock they wioll authorise Telsa or presumably other suppliers to do the replacement.
Glad your insurer did this. Mine won't currently and wishing we had stuck with our previous as they appear to be assisting their customers.

Otherwise, I'm in full complaint mode to Tesla about serious lack of care and poor treatment of existing customers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Meanwhile today's Autoglass pointless missive (same as last week) reads...
"We are doing everything we can to source glass for you. This is a global issue. We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience."
So they are clearly not aware of Manchester's surplus if it truly exists and don't appreciate that patience has nothing to do with it when you've got no choice. :(

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3
3,536 Posts
That would be my 2nd guess, DL and LV seem to be the Tesla big boys. Whats the compulsory excess on LV?, on DL it's£250, every other insurer was £500.
If you insure via GoCompare, they will provide a free insurance to repay your excess up to £250. The quotes on GoCompare seem pretty competitive already and can be reduced by accepting a higher voluntary excess knowing that you will get £250 refunded.
That's how I have insured with LV for the last two years. I'm not insuring a Tesla by the way. This is a general point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Direct line use Autoglass too (even when insuring model 3). I've been waiting more than a month too with Autoglass. It's shocking that Tesla really just don't care about their customers even from their preferred insurer partner's (direct line) glass partner (autoglass). I think Tesla are being disgraceful and it's really taken the shine off my driving experience.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts