Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad your insurer did this. Mine won't currently and wishing we had stuck with our previous as they appear to be assisting their customers.

Otherwise, I'm in full complaint mode to Tesla about serious lack of care and poor treatment of existing customers.
According to Tesla they can supply glass to anyone including Autoglass. I was told I could arrange for the glass to be collected and fitted elsewhere if required.

Either Tesla or Autoglss are telling fibbies.

I recommend booking through Tesla then if they confirm they have the part get on to Autoglass and tell them you have a supply of glass. Call someones bluff.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well I tried a Tesla service glass replacement with Tesla Winchester with an appointment set for next Tuesday afternoon.
They confirm they have glass available :)
They will need it overnight so it's not while-u-wait and they have no loan car available until mid-June (at £75/day)

I tried chasing Churchill (via Relay UK as I'm deaf) but they wouldn't budge from their £125 max reimbursement (with my £75 excess on top).
They transferred me to Autoglass who promptly dropped the line - so they are a dead duck too.

So, will hopefully end this 4-month torment from Autoglass with probably not much change from a grand instead of Autoglass' original "£75 promise"!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Well I tried a Tesla service glass replacement with Tesla Winchester with an appointment set for next Tuesday afternoon.
They confirm they have glass available :)
They will need it overnight so it's not while-u-wait and they have no loan car available until mid-June (at £75/day)

I tried chasing Churchill (via Relay UK as I'm deaf) but they wouldn't budge from their £125 max reimbursement (with my £75 excess on top).
They transferred me to Autoglass who promptly dropped the line - so they are a dead duck too.

So, will hopefully end this 4-month torment from Autoglass with probably not much change from a grand instead of Autoglass' original "£75 promise"!
Have you thought of tweeting AutoGlass's CEO?, and Maybe Elon Musk too?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Worth a try with some shitty tweets. AutoGlass have a contract to supply with the insurer, Tesla have the Glass, what is the problem, been waiting months, why is Autoglass such a Terrible company, etc, etc??
Each to their own, but I really don't find this sort of approach very tasteful.

As much as I am annoyed with the entire situation, I just find whingeing like this on Twitter highly cringeworthy and, coming from someone who very occasionally is on the receiving end of this tactic, it doesn't really work.

Sure, it gets some attention but it doesn't exactly change the facts so long as the company in question is being truthful in the first place. And I actually don't believe Autoglass are being deliberately difficult, nor are the insurers. It's just a chain of processes being followed correctly in all likelihood - we are just the casualties of that and I have been pushing both Autoglass and my insurer to be more pragmatic and work around their standard practices for now.

I'll be firm but polite with them on the phone directly and email, as I just think it's a more respectful and, in my experience, a more fruitful approach.

Probably just me though! 🤣

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,744 Posts

As much as I am annoyed with the entire situation, I just find whingeing like this on Twitter highly cringeworthy and, coming from someone who very occasionally is on the receiving end of this tactic, it doesn't really work.

Sure, it gets some attention but it doesn't exactly change the facts so long as the company in question is being truthful in the first place. And I actually don't believe Autoglass are being deliberately difficult, nor are the insurers. It's just a chain of processes being followed correctly in all likelihood - we are just the casualties of that and I have been pushing both Autoglass and my insurer to be more pragmatic and work around their standard practices for now.

I'll be firm but polite with them on the phone directly and email, as I just think it's a more respectful and, in my experience, a more fruitful approach.

The more people who leap to the ‘Tirade on Twitter’ approach, the less powerful a weapon it becomes really.

Sure, it can work for certain ‘wrongs’, but as you say it should be a last resort and not a first step.

I do think it’s ridiculous that windscreens are taking so long to sourced and fitted though, if this were any other brand the thread would be 50 pages long already…

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

If you were a Black Transgender Ukrainian disabled Woman , you could get it sorted very quick, You are discriminating against me because im.............. , the Twitter Wokerati would explode in rage. If a White Male, maybe best to moan via other routes first.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,744 Posts
If you were a Black Transgender Ukrainian disabled Woman , you could get it sorted very quick, You are discriminating against me because im.............. , the Twitter Wokerati would explode in rage. If a White Male, maybe best to moan via other routes first.
Aww, I presume you’re a poor oppressed middle aged white guy without a voice then?

A prejudicial comment is still just that however you dress it up, so you probably shouldn’t do it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Literally no idea what you're going on about, but okay. 👍

The more people who leap to the ‘Tirade on Twitter’ approach, the less powerful a weapon it becomes really.

Sure, it can work for certain ‘wrongs’, but as you say it should be a last resort and not a first step.

I do think it’s ridiculous that windscreens are taking so long to sourced and fitted though, if this were any other brand the thread would be 50 pages long already…
Yes, it is very poor and I'm mostly blaming Tesla.

It is true my insurer could be more flexible and allow me to get Tesla to replace it, as there is glass available, and refund me. And it is true that Autoglass could also fit the windscreen I had already found and secured for my vehicle.

But ultimately Tesla is the source of the issue and the inability to properly complain to Tesla or get hold of someone there to report the issue is unacceptable. The brand treats existing customers pretty poorly in my view.

When my PCP deal ends, I was originally going to buy the car but now with some stiff competition and the network opening up I will seriously consider chopping it in for something else like the i4.

·
Registered
60 Posts
With my Tesla windscreen replacement set for Tuesday at Winchester I'm wondering what Autoglass' weekly message will say, assuming they get round to sending one on Monday?
I doubt they'll have any glass yet, or if they do, their fixing appointment might be a long way off - it was 1-3 weeks for an appointment way back in January when they didn't realise they had any glass left. Either way I won't need them any more ... for this breakage.

Once the screen is replaced I'll try to cancel the Autoglass claim - I'll also be saving the £40 they had offered to "replace the windscreen wipers for me".
I've never used the wipers since the glass broke so perhaps they just need a wipe with a damp rag.

One thing for sure, I'm really glad the screen is still waterproof in spite of the amount of glass cracks - there's still some of extra fine glass dust/grains inside the car.
I have no idea how much mess could have been caused if the bird strike actually had holed the glass having had no covering for the car in 4 months.
The car also desperately needs a good car wash after standing outside all this time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With my Tesla windscreen replacement set for Tuesday at Winchester I'm wondering what Autoglass' weekly message will say, assuming they get round to sending one on Monday?
I doubt they'll have any glass yet, or if they do, their fixing appointment might be a long way off - it was 1-3 weeks for an appointment way back in January when they didn't realise they had any glass left. Either way I won't need them any more ... for this breakage.

Once the screen is replaced I'll try to cancel the Autoglass claim - I'll also be saving the £40 they had offered to "replace the windscreen wipers for me".
I've never used the wipers since the glass broke so perhaps they just need a wipe with a damp rag.
Can you get Tesla to confirm the glass is available and could be bought by Autoglass then drop that info on Autoglass? It tyakes away the 'we cant get hold of glass excuse' from them and might corner them into doing something.

FYI, my Glass was £870.65 fitted inc VAT - curious if yours is the same.

This is making life a nightmare for some Tesla owners (I had to take a day off which effectively costs me £500 every time) - Tesla should be addressing it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can you get Tesla to confirm the glass is available and could be bought by Autoglass then drop that info on Autoglass? It tyakes away the 'we cant get hold of glass excuse' from them and might corner them into doing something.

FYI, my Glass was £870.65 fitted inc VAT - curious if yours is the same.

This is making life a nightmare for some Tesla owners (I had to take a day off which effectively costs me £500 every time) - Tesla should be addressing it.
Given I can get it fitted this coming Tuesday with no further fuss I am not inclined to prolong the agony any more with Autoglass though I will be interested in what tomorrow's Autoglass "Monday missive" states. Either way I'm done with them!

Although possibly a large part of the past 4 months has not been their fault they should have been able to source some glass in the past few weeks but have just been spouting the same "global shortage" at me so I will not try to get Tesla and Autoglass together.

I am expecting a heavy bill around the value you quoted though not received any quote from Tesla yet so it might hurt my wallet some but then its done and dusted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Update: Just got another "we are doing absolutely everything to source glass for you" missive from Autoglass so I feel fully justified in tomorrow's screen replacement at Tesla Winchester service centre.

Tesla have quoted an estimate of £633.83 plus £126.77 VAT for the glass totaling £760.60 dunno if there is labour cost on top of that as it doesn't mention it.
I will have Tesla replace the wipers too (another £44?) since there's no point using old scratchy icky wipers on brand new glass.
After an overnight "bonding" I can collect the car some time on Wednesday.

Fingers crossed it all works out nice and simple.

I'm not planning on wasting any more time with Churchill/Autoglass for this incident. Too much hassle waiting in phone queues via Relay UK (I'm deaf).

·
Registered
Instavolt referral code jdyUj
24 Posts
Update: Just got another "we are doing absolutely everything to source glass for you" missive from Autoglass so I feel fully justified in tomorrow's screen replacement at Tesla Winchester service centre.

Tesla have quoted an estimate of £633.83 plus £126.77 VAT for the glass totaling £760.60 dunno if there is labour cost on top of that as it doesn't mention it.
I will have Tesla replace the wipers too (another £44?) since there's no point using old scratchy icky wipers on brand new glass.
After an overnight "bonding" I can collect the car some time on Wednesday.

Fingers crossed it all works out nice and simple.

I'm not planning on wasting any more time with Churchill/Autoglass for this incident. Too much hassle waiting in phone queues via Relay UK (I'm deaf).
Autoglass are not just surplus to requirements here but their involvement is obstructing the repair of your vehicle and your use of it. If the car has to go back to Tesla for camera calibration anyway (mine had to last year) and Tesla can replace the windscreen themselves what is the point of Autoglass, other than another layer of buggeration??

Churchill should cut out the middle man and just pay Tesla for the windscreen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Autoglass are not just surplus to requirements here but their involvement is obstructing the repair of your vehicle and your use of it. If the car has to go back to Tesla for camera calibration anyway (mine had to last year) and Tesla can replace the windscreen themselves what is the point of Autoglass, other than another layer of buggeration??

Churchill should cut out the middle man and just pay Tesla for the windscreen.
Under normal circumstances Autoglass would have plenty of glass in stock or available to them and replacement might be a week or two at worst depending on how busy their fitting centres are especially the limited ones "allegedly capable" of performing camera alignment and the cost to me would just be my excess of £75 not the full whack of £760 - one good benefit.

This year has been far from normal so, up to the end of April, we're assuming there really was little to no glass available. Only in the past few weeks have Tesla started receiving glass for their service centres but presumably Autoglass' "usual supply source" isn't working yet and there's now a stark difference between Tesla and Autoglass.

Given I can get my glass replaced tomorrow and Autoglass still claiming "doing everything to source glass" it should be reasonable for Churchill et al to permit alternate fitment in the mean time.
My last conversation with them on Friday suggested they won't budge from their measly £200 reimbursement for non-Autoglass repairs.
I presume most new windscreens may now be in the £500-£800+ region so £200 is a slap in the face.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Under normal circumstances Autoglass would have plenty of glass in stock or available to them and replacement might be a week or two at worst depending on how busy their fitting centres are especially the limited ones "allegedly capable" of performing camera alignment and the cost to me would just be my excess of £75 not the full whack of £760 - one good benefit.

This year has been far from normal so, up to the end of April, we're assuming there really was little to no glass available. Only in the past few weeks have Tesla started receiving glass for their service centres but presumably Autoglass' "usual supply source" isn't working yet and there's now a stark difference between Tesla and Autoglass.

Given I can get my glass replaced tomorrow and Autoglass still claiming "doing everything to source glass" it should be reasonable for Churchill et al to permit alternate fitment in the mean time.
My last conversation with them on Friday suggested they won't budge from their measly £200 reimbursement for non-Autoglass repairs.
I presume most new windscreens may now be in the £500-£800+ region so £200 is a slap in the face.
I would push back on this. I'm with Churchill and Autoglass weren't great when my windscreen had to be replaced last year before the problems with stock.

On page 17 of their own Policy Document (https://www.churchill.com/assets/pdf/ch-car-insurance-policy-document.pdf) Churchill state that they will replace the windscreen with the exception being if you do not use an approved SUPPLIER. As far as I am aware, Tesla is the only supplier of Tesla windscreens and they supply Autoglass. Autoglass is just the FITTER, not the SUPPLIER. Are Churchill really suggesting that Tesla is not an approved SUPPLIER??

Product Font Screenshot Electric blue Parallel

If Churchill refuse to budge on this then for the sake of another half an hour or so I would open a complaint using Resolver - Resolver - Free online tool for complaints and claims | Resolver UK It is really easy to do and would be worth doing to get your money back plus potentially some compensation for the fact that your car has effectively been undriveable for the last few months and you may have had to pay for alternative transport - taxis, hire cars, trains/buses etc.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,744 Posts
I would push back on this. I'm with Churchill and Autoglass weren't great when my windscreen had to be replaced last year before the problems with stock.

On page 17 of their own Policy Document (https://www.churchill.com/assets/pdf/ch-car-insurance-policy-document.pdf) Churchill state that they will replace the windscreen with the exception being if you do not use an approved SUPPLIER. As far as I am aware, Tesla is the only supplier of Tesla windscreens and they supply Autoglass. Autoglass is just the FITTER, not the SUPPLIER. Are Churchill really suggesting that Tesla is not an approved SUPPLIER??

View attachment 162260

If Churchill refuse to budge on this then for the sake of another half an hour or so I would open a complaint using Resolver - Resolver - Free online tool for complaints and claims | Resolver UK It is really easy to do and would be worth doing to get your money back plus potentially some compensation for the fact that your car has effectively been undriveable for the last few months and you may have had to pay for alternative transport - taxis, hire cars, trains/buses etc.
I think in this context you also need to bold the Approved bit, I take that to mean that it has to be a supplier approved by Churchill.

It’s pretty common in insurance policies that approved suppliers are basically Autoglass or Auto Windscreens.

My own insurer was happy for me to have a windscreen replaced by somebody else, but I had to pay my normal excess instead of the £50 or whatever it was if I used Autoglass.

If Autoglass can’t get Tesla windscreens, there must be a reason for that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think in this context you also need to bold the Approved bit, I take that to mean that it has to be a supplier approved by Churchill.

It’s pretty common in insurance policies that approved suppliers are basically Autoglass or Auto Windscreens.

My own insurer was happy for me to have a windscreen replaced by somebody else, but I had to pay my normal excess instead of the £50 or whatever it was if I used Autoglass.

If Autoglass can’t get Tesla windscreens, there must be a reason for that.
Not sure if it still the case but I was told last year that Autoglass can only get their glass from Tesla, which makes Tesla the supplier and Autoglass the fitter.

If Tesla is the only supplier of the glass how could they not be an approved supplier? If they aren’t an approved supplier then nobody is, surely?!

61 - 80 of 87 Posts