Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,189 Posts
I would avoid driving either of ours in flood water. Too many risks of hidden debris, sunken drains, etc. We were in Matlock in our Model 3 recently but (fortunately) left the day before the foods...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Has the leaf got a good wading depth? I killed a bmw once in a flooded road, on the way to the wife’s birthday treat.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had to detour off the main road near Nottingham last Thursday because it was blocked and there was a lot of local flooding on the back roads. The last was the deepest, but it was a really long way to go back, do I pressed on and the i3 did it fine. There was a 535d broken on one side and a school bus on the other!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Taken mine wheel deep, though according to nissans on testing they can go bonnet deep without issue.
Someone's made not of a breather tube for the battery but I've never seen mention of one or any others.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Apparently the wading depth is 700mm which is the point that water enters the top of the power delivery module which is where breathers for the axle and battery are located. The videos show the LEAF being driven through 300mm of water quickly such that the bow wave passes over the front of the bonnet. Clearly the traction battery etc is properly sealed.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,955 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I had to detour off the main road near Nottingham last Thursday because it was blocked and there was a lot of local flooding on the back roads. The last was the deepest, but it was a really long way to go back, do I pressed on and the i3 did it fine. There was a 535d broken on one side and a school bus on the other!
From the i3 manual:

Do not exceed the maximum water level and maximum speed; otherwise, the vehicle's engine, the electrical systems and the trans‐ mission may be damaged.

Drive though calm water only and only if it is not deeper than 9.8 inches/25 cm and at this height, no faster than walking speed, up to
3 mph/5 km/h.

·
Registered
271 Posts
From the i3 manual:

Do not exceed the maximum water level and maximum speed; otherwise, the vehicle's engine, the electrical systems and the trans‐ mission may be damaged.

Drive though calm water only and only if it is not deeper than 9.8 inches/25 cm and at this height, no faster than walking speed, up to
3 mph/5 km/h.
RTFM!

That sounds about right for the depth and I did go through at a crawl, way less than 3 mph, more like 1. I had one guy overtake me while passing through one of the lesser floods (maybe 100 mm deep). The bus and the 535d probably got done because they went too fast, other cars seemed fine with it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Stupidly, I drove my Galaxy through a flood and didn't get to the other side, the engine stalled and the gearbox and window electrics failed. Others that didn't make it included a Mercedes saloon and transit van. 4x4s were getting through fine and a Bentley managed it too 😲.

EDIT - To cut a long story short, the missus drove through the same flood the following morning in a Leaf without any problems. I don't think either of us will be trying it again in a hurry though.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,955 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts